The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

uacowboy's razor rodeo

Looks great. How do you feel about the loft set? \n\nIf you like more backbone you might want it slightly lower.
\n\nIt will be a bit lower. I still had to scrape out the last bit of old glue and the bottom of the knot has an odd thick spot i need to remove. I\'m guessing it will be 5-8mm lower than that pic. after that i will evaluate if i want to drill it out any deeper.

Ok I think this is gonna be it. That slight drop added a lot of backbone. Also pictured the tool I used for cleanup and a tiny bit of material removal around the rim. Knot didn't quite want to go past the plug initially.

Now if only I hadn't forgotten my 5 min epoxy at home.

I know TOBS sandalwood isn't exactly a true sandalwood, but I love that scent anyway! I think that handle looks great with that knot!

I know TOBS sandalwood isn't exactly a true sandalwood, but I love that scent anyway! I think that handle looks great with that knot!

I love it too. Their sandalwood cream was the first soap/cream I tried after my van der Hagen starter kit.

Just remember it has to be a two stage apoxy. Some apoxies will not hold to heat and water. And will not hold for long.

Today's shave:

Geo wostenholm 8/8 SR
Pilson with TGN synthetic knot
Dr. Jon's Big Green Monster
Witch Hazel
Florida water

Family picture day before I head into a night shift. Great 95% BBS shave from the GW. Got the knot glued in yesterday so I figured I'd test it out. Very nice lather, super soft and a decent amount of backbone. Got just a bit messy with the face lathering but not to bad. The wife came in shortly after the shave and was not a fan of the cheap Witch Hazel smell so I may have to look into a scented one cause I have really been liking it.

I have 2 two band badger knots on their way from maggards so the other two handles from Sharps will be done next weekend hopefully.

I need to revisit that soap. I recall trying it a few years back and really liked the scent.

I need to revisit that soap. I recall trying it a few years back and really liked the scent.

It is one of my absolute favorites. I remember in the beginning it took some time to dial in but it is now one of my most consistent performers. The end of this tin is in site though so I will need to put in an order soon.

Today's shave:

FR 7/8 straight
VDH boar brush
MW coconut sandalwood
Newly doctored witch Hazel
Osage rub

So in honor of Michelle joining the forum I like others have decided to use her soap today. I've been having trouble getting the lather right the last few shaves, I have some prospect creek I used to use regularly with much success at my last house but it was only recently rediscovered. The old house had a water softener system though. Current one does not and Tucsons water is stupid hard plus almost no humidity. Anyway I wanted to try and get it right today and I did... after my shave. I doubled my load time and tried to face lather again but it just went from yogurt to broken from like 1 drop of water. Still got a DFS out of it since even broken this soap is super slick. I had time to kill after the shave so I grabbed my lather bowl and decided to do some practice lathers. Started with the boar since it was ready to go anyway and came so close but then lost it again. So I thought for a minute about how with this soap it seems water control is key and grabbed my synthetic I just put in a handle this past weekend and loaded it up. Only did a normal loading and started with the bowl. Hit the yogurt stage pretty quickly and with just a bit more water... whipped cream explosion. It was absolutely perfect. Even applied it to my face and it held up just fine. So now I know at least for me, my water, and my humidity levels the synthetic burn is the way to go for MW.

Didn't think about getting picks of the later practice till I had everything cleaned up unfortunately.

Have a great day Ya'll.

MW coconut sandalwood

So in honor of Michelle joining the forum I like others have decided to use her soap today.

CopyCat!
1f640.png
1f638.png
1f639.png

Back