The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

uacowboy's razor rodeo

Today's shave:

Gem 1912
Gem blade
MW coconut sandalwood
Pilson/synth
WH
Florida water

Well today was a bloody great shave. And by that I mean it was both great and bloody. I wanted to do the MW once again since I figured it out after my last shave but the I missed a bump just under my right nostril but the blade found it. There was a lot of pink lather but I also came out BBS so all is well there. Also, this is my first bottle of Florida water having never seen it before a few guys here mentioned it. My local Walgreens had it as I passed through the Shaving section so I grabbed it and I am really liking it.

Also were these Gem razors plated before or do they patina t a silvery color?

I don’t know for sure, but I think ones like yours had a gold wash. I believe the gold wash is done over nickel plating usually.

Bummer on the fluid loss. Happens to me sometimes too with pimples or just a lapse of attention around a curve.

I don’t know for sure, but I think ones like yours had a gold wash. I believe the gold wash is done over nickel plating usually.

Bummer on the fluid loss. Happens to me sometimes too with pimples or just a lapse of attention around a curve.

pretty sure it was a pimple that hadn't come through yet... but it's gone now lol. I can see some silvery patches. I am trying to pin down which one it is but all i know right now is that it should be one of the earlier models.

This morning's shave:

George wostenholm 8/8 SR
Omega boar brush
Stirling sample of Scots Pine Sheep
WH
Osage Rub

My shave to celebrate John(the monkey) turning 51. Nice 2 pass BBS. First time using a Stirling shave soap and it is very nice. Great lather and built very easily on my face. More than enough for my 2 passes. The smell is nice on this one. Present but not overly strong.

Side note, the osage saved my on my way to work this morning. Someone must have hit a skunk right along the freeway and I would have puked had it not been for the residual scent on my face.

Skunk always hits me hard probably because my old brother shot one about 50 yards from the house when I was little and the smell took more than a full day to dissipate.

For those who have been waiting for these, here they are all done.

I am really liking the performance from the pilsynth. Just finished setting the knots on the other 2 and can't decide which I like more. The cream and clear(20mm 2 band) is beautiful but a slightly smaller handle and knot while the other(22mm 2 band) while still nice looking seems less elegant maybe but feels great in the hand.

Me being a badger man and loving the looks of Ever-Ready handles.. The both look great.. nice job.
That George wostenholm 8/8 SR is pretty BA too.

Nice shave Kyle! I hear ya on the skunk smell. My parents’ dog got sprayed directly in the face a few years back. She stunk for months!

Shave for 12.18.18

Frederick Reynolds 7/8 SR
Ever-Ready 200 with new 2 band badger
CBL Ghost Lime
WH
Florida Water

First time using CBL and I can officially say I'm a fan. Beautiful super slick lather and the smell was great too. The cooling agent felt pretty subtle but was also nice. Can't wait to try the other soaps I ordered later this week.

On the brush, this is the handle I got from Sharp's and I really like how it feels in hand. The 2 band badger from maggards is super soft and dense. Whipped up a ton of great lather.

And now a preview of my shave coming up on Thursday

You made it to Dave’s shop! Nice! Looking forward to your thoughts on the Chamber soap! Glad you got to try CBL finally.

You made it to Dave’s shop! Nice! Looking forward to your thoughts on the Chamber soap! Glad you got to try CBL finally.

Took the long way to work and stopped in. It really is a nice shop. They had about 6 of the scents with each having a full shelf of the various products in that scent. I smelled all of them and none were at all off-putting but some stood out to me more than others. Aviator really is like getting a blast of the cleanest fresh air right in the face. Putter is very much like standing on a putting green that has been freshly cut. Monsoon was very fresh rain. That is all i can remember off the top of my head but they were all nice. I chose El Guapo over the others because i don't really have much in the way of dark toned scents right now and i could only really get 1 today. If i really like it i may go back after the new year and pick up the AS if they haven't sold out.

Aviator really is like getting a blast of the cleanest fresh air right in the face. Putter is very much like standing on a putting green that has been freshly cut. Monsoon was very fresh rain. That is all i can remember off the top of my head but they were all nice.
That’s the kind of impressions I like hearing. You actually made Aviator sound even better to me than Dave’s review. Can’t wait to hear your impressions of El Guapo.

I am still trying to pin down what El Guapo reminds me of. But the more i smell it the more i like it.

Back