The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Reading Lounge

I have about 100 pages left and I must admit I am really impressed with Martin's writing. He does have tendencies to over explain some things but overall a very good storyteller.

Wait until book two! He goes to great depths to describe the family Sigils!

I'd leafed through this book from our inter library system, but always wanted a copy of my own. They go high though, like $80 and up. I managed to pick this one up on Amazon new for $58!!! Everything you wanted to know about anvils. 564 pages and the thing ways 5 lbs!

It's funny, the author was a metal worker who got interested in anvils. He began searching for books on anvils and found there was nothing out there so he wrote the "bible" on anvils. For a tool that has been in use since before the middle ages and was a very important tool in almost every community, there hasn't been much written about them. As a blacksmith, this arms me with the knowledge I need when I run across anvils for sale. Many don't realize there are literally millions of anvils out there tucked away in people's garages, laying under collapsed barns and even buried in the ground. Many are still in use or in collections. Some were scraped during WWII. Anyways, the book is interesting with the author giving little stories along the way to break-up the glut of anvil information.

I'd leafed through this book from our inter library system, but always wanted a copy of my own. They go high though, like $80 and up. I managed to pick this one up on Amazon new for $58!!! Everything you wanted to know about anvils. 564 pages and the thing ways 5 lbs!

It's funny, the author was a metal worker who got interested in anvils. He began searching for books on anvils and found there was nothing out there so he wrote the "bible" on anvils. For a tool that has been in use since before the middle ages and was a very important tool in almost every community, there hasn't been much written about them. As a blacksmith, this arms me with the knowledge I need when I run across anvils for sale. Many don't realize there are literally millions of anvils out there tucked away in people's garages, laying under collapsed barns and even buried in the ground. Many are still in use or in collections. Some were scraped during WWII. Anyways, the book is interesting with the author giving little stories along the way to break-up the glut of anvil information.

Pretty cool Mike. I didn't realize there was that much to say about anvils in the first place ???

Pretty cool Mike. I didn't realize there was that much to say about anvils in the first place
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png

Me either until I read the book.

I’ve been doing quite a bit of reading, on both hard copy and audio. I recently finished Michelle McNamara’s “I’ll be Gone in the Dark” about the Golden State Killer, and Patricia Highsmith’s “Ripley’s Game,” Book 2 in the series.

I’m currently reading Tim O’Brien’s “The Things They Carried” (on audio read by Bryan Cranston), about his experience in Vietnam, and CS Lewis’s “Out of the Silent Planet.” Ron Chernow’s “Grant” is a longer term project that I dip in and out of as the spirit moves me.

I’ve been doing quite a bit of reading, on both hard copy and audio. I recently finished Michelle McNamara’s “I’ll be Gone in the Dark” about the Golden State Killer, and Patricia Highsmith’s “Ripley’s Game,” Book 2 in the series.

I’m currently reading Tim O’Brien’s “The Things They Carried” (on audio read by Bryan Cranston), about his experience in Vietnam, and CS Lewis’s “Out of the Silent Planet.” Ron Chernow’s “Grant” is a longer term project that I dip in and out of as the spirit moves me.

Bob! You are putting the text of us to shame!

Nah. These are generally not big reads. The CS Lewis is just 150 pages, and I did a good amount of skimming in the McNamara book.

The Silent Planet books I enjoyed. I need to read those again soon, have them in my library somewhere.

This one adds almost 200 pages. It's going to take awhile. I only average 1-2 chapters a night. Although today both kids fell asleep which is rare so I read the last 5. I will start book 2 tonight before bed most likely

This one adds almost 200 pages. It's going to take awhile. I only average 1-2 chapters a night. Although today both kids fell asleep which is rare so I read the last 5. I will start book 2 tonight before bed most likely

That’s typically what I got in a night when I was reading them as well. I was just saying wait until book 3 because of what happens.

I have about 100 pages left and I must admit I am really impressed with Martin's writing. He does have tendencies to over explain some things but overall a very good storyteller. It will probably take all year or most of it to get through the 5 books, but it makes me tempted to look into some of his other works.

With the driving around I do I have been listening to the book Eragon. A very fun story but not as well written, but enjoyable enough.

I read Eragon a long time ago. It is not the best written book, but is still impressive considering Chris Paolini wrote it when he was a teenager. The following books are more well written, though I think the storyline starts to suffer by the last one.

I read the first few GoT books ages ago and loved them. Might be time to pick them up for a refresh.

I’m between books at the moment, but have been mostly reading a few different LitRPG books lately. Both Alterworld and The Land: Founding were good reads.

I just started “Macbeth” by Jo Nesbø. It was a Christmas gift thus year, and looks to be a crime thriller based on the Shakespeare play, incorporating the themes and characters. Still waiting for Lady Macbeth to show up.

Chad...I am a natoriously slow reader. I am very deliberate and it takes me forever to get through books...even ones that I am very interested in. I think it took me about six months to get through the Song of Ice and Fire series. It won't take you as long as you think.

I just started “Macbeth” by Jo Nesbø. It was a Christmas gift thus year, and looks to be a crime thriller based on the Shakespeare play, incorporating the themes and characters. Still waiting for Lady Macbeth to show up.

Now that sounds like an interesting book! You will have to let us know how you like it!

Chad...I am a natoriously slow reader. I am very deliberate and it takes me forever to get through books...even ones that I am very interested in. I think it took me about six months to get through the Song of Ice and Fire series. It won't take you as long as you think.

Well I started book 1 on Jan 1st. So nearly two full month to complete it. If each book takes that long I am looking at 10 month total. So maybe October. But I am okay with that. Aside from the videos here I have NOT watched youtube at night before going to bed. And honestly I much prefer reading to looking at the screen. I am glad I made this my new year's resolution, and I plan on sticking to it. Much better to read a story than mindlessly watch youtube. Although I do love the Cadre shaving videos.

Well I started book 1 on Jan 1st. So nearly two full month to complete it. If each book takes that long I am looking at 10 month total. So maybe October. But I am okay with that. Aside from the videos here I have NOT watched youtube at night before going to bed. And honestly I much prefer reading to looking at the screen. I am glad I made this my new year's resolution, and I plan on sticking to it. Much better to read a story than mindlessly watch youtube. Although I do love the Cadre shaving videos.

I really thought it was going to take me forever to read those books. But at some point I started reading more of them each day and began to read faster. But to tell you the truth...those books I would read as slow and deliberate as you can. There is so much detail packed into the stories that is relevant or just interesting. GRRM doesn't put a lot of uneccessary information or detail in his books. Just when you think some stuff you read doesn't matter, it pops up later in the book or in another book!

I've already noticed that @dangerousdon he is a very good storyteller.

I haven't read as much due to being sick and website stuff. But I am through a little over the first 100 pages.

My book listening is a little easier though and I really enjoy listening on my commute and lunch break. The book I'm listening to is the Eragon series. I'm in book 2 currently.

I’ve been having a hard time finding a book to read lately. I gave Jo Nesbø’s Macbeth about 100 pages, but it hasn’t grabbed me. Instead I picked up Tolkien’s The Two Towers for the umpteenth time. It is notoriously the toughest grind of the trilogy, but it’s just so good. The movies were well done, but the books are where it’s at.

Back