The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Reading Lounge

Currently I am reading The Girl Caught in the Spider Web by David Lagercrantz. It's a continuation of the "Millinnium" Series originally authored by Stieg Larsson....

The original trilogy is on my list. Haven’t gotten around to them yet, but I’ve heard they’re excellent.
You and me both...but I am thinking it won't happen. I have seen pics of GRRM, and let's just say that he does not look like a picture of perfect health.

From what I understand there are actually 2 more books coming before the series will be complete. I thiught I read that the next book was finished and in the publisher’s hands, but I never heard anything on a release date. I agree that we may not see the series completed, Martin does look pretty bad these days.

I just decided that I want to read the Oz series by L. Frank Baum. After getting into Oz Shaving Co.'s soaps and brushes, I'm hooked on the Wizard of Oz. I knew there was more than just the one story, but I didn't realized L. Frank Baum wrote 14 books about the Land of Oz (the movie is only based on one of them). I'm intrigued now, and it's been added to my Christmas list. One way or another I'll get the books and read them after the new year.

If I remember correctly, Mr. Baum's stories of OZ are much darker than people want to give him credit for!

Just happened to look. You can get the complete Oz collection, all 70hrs and 34min on audible for 66 cents. Now there's a value for ya!

Just happened to look. You can get the complete Oz collection, all 70hrs and 34min on audible for 66 cents. Now there's a value for ya!

If you are a Kindle sort of person, a couple of bucks will get you the collection as well .

That is definitely not a short book!

Ive heard this is really really good though.
I just decided that I want to read the Oz series by L. Frank Baum. After getting into Oz Shaving Co.'s soaps and brushes, I'm hooked on the Wizard of Oz. I knew there was more than just the one story, but I didn't realized L. Frank Baum wrote 14 books about the Land of Oz (the movie is only based on one of them). I'm intrigued now, and it's been added to my Christmas list. One way or another I'll get the books and read them after the new year.

I didnt realize there were 14 either! I’ve also heard that the books are definitely darker than the movie. I’ve been meaning to check out the other stories as well.

Ive heard this is really really good though.
I didnt realize there were 14 either! I’ve also heard that the books are definitely darker than the movie. I’ve been meaning to check out the other stories as well.

If you buy the set, there's actually 15 in the set. But I guess the last one is attributed to L. Frank Baum, but wasn't actually written by him. But then, there are an additional 26 stories written by other authors after his death that continue the stories of Oz.

If you buy the set, there's actually 15 in the set. But I guess the last one is attributed to L. Frank Baum, but wasn't actually written by him. But then, there are an additional 26 stories written by other authors after his death that continue the stories of Oz.

Wow I had no idea. I’m surprised we haven’t seen any movie studios or outlets like Netflix try to capitalize on that.

Wow I had no idea. I’m surprised we haven’t seen any movie studios or outles like Netflix try to capitalize on that.
We sort of have.

There was a miniseries called Tin Man, on the Sci Fi (SyFy) channel in 2007. It was loosely based on the movie, but went off in a different direction. I think it included some things form the book series.

But also, there was Oz: The Great and Powerful, Starring James Franco in 2013, and I know that one had characters from some of the other Oz books.

We sort of have.

There was a miniseries called Tin Man, on the Sci Fi (SyFy) channel in 2007. It was loosely based on the movie, but went off in a different direction. I think it included some things form the book series.

But also, there was Oz: The Great and Powerful, Starring James Franco in 2013, and I know that one had characters from some of the other Oz books.

Totally forgot about the James Franco Oz. I just figured with everyone looking for the next big franchise, plus all that source material, you’d see some more stuff coming out.

My grandma used to have the entire Oz collection in her bookcase. When I was about 10 I started to read them and was quite shocked by how much darker the stories are from the ruby slipper version I had seen on TV. I don't recall which books I read but I know I never read the Wizard of Oz itself. I have no idea what happened to the books but I am sure they would worth a bit to a collector today.

Back