The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Reading Lounge

My grandma used to have the entire Oz collection in her bookcase. When I was about 10 I started to read them and was quite shocked by how much darker the stories are from the ruby slipper version I had seen on TV. I don't recall which books I read but I know I never read the Wizard of Oz itself. I have no idea what happened to the books but I am sure they would worth a bit to a collector today.
Having the original book set would be awesome.

So the Oz collection is now on my list.

Also totally forgot that George R R Martin released Fire and Blood today. Another one that’s high on the list.

Been quiet in this thread lately. I finally picked up Blood and Fire today. Still only like a quarter of the way through Dune. I haven't been reading as often as I like to lately. Plus Dune is like a million pages long haha.

I also picked up Season of Storms by Andrzej Sapkowski. It’s a book in The Witcher series and it looked pretty good. Not sure which book is first though. I guess you can either read the series in the order the books were published, or in chronological order. Anyone here ever read these before?

I haven't read a lot lately like I used to. Just cleared out 2 shelves of Hardback Clive Cusslers and gave to my Father in Law to make room for my Avon Bottles closer to the shave den. I need to start reading through all my Motorcycle Travel Biography books again.

They sound interesting Dave, although the last thing I need is to get the motorcycle bug going again lol. I sold my bike about 10 years ago.

They sound interesting Dave, although the last thing I need is to get the motorcycle bug going again lol. I sold my bike about 10 years ago.
2 years ago this past May for me after 30+ years and it still kills me. 2nd best thing is to live vicariously thru others until my circumstances that prevent it change.

I finally picked up Blood and Fire today.

That jerk of a George RR Martin has time to write new books but can't finish the series he started! I saw Blood and Fire the other day and was like..."Seriously?" There was rumor that HBO was going to do a miniseries of something along the lines of a prequel to Game of Thrones... Hmm...this is awfully suspicious!

I said the same thing when it was released Don! This guy’s got a lot of nerve! I haven’t heard anything about a miniseries that I can remember, but that would be pretty cool.

I’m not much of a reader.... I just watch the show, so I’m not exactly sure what the deal is other than I heard the last season went past the books.

I’m not much of a reader.... I just watch the show, so I’m not exactly sure what the deal is other than I heard the last season went past the books.

George RR Martin (author of the Song of Ice and Fire series) has been promising the next book in the line for years now. He has said that the book series has two more to finish it. He is notorious for taking years longer than promised. So...he has promised to write two more books to finish the series and out comes a book that is in the same universe (and it's not exactly a short one either) instead of giving us the books to finish the series. He is not exactly a picture of perfect health...so it is highly unlikely that we will actually see another book, let alone two.

I also picked up Season of Storms by Andrzej Sapkowski. It’s a book in The Witcher series and it looked pretty good. Not sure which book is first though. I guess you can either read the series in the order the books were published, or in chronological order. Anyone here ever read these before?

I've read The Last Wish and Blood of Elves. IIRC, The Last Wish is a collection of vignettes about the Witcher. I enjoyed it. Just light, fun reading about monster slaying.

I'm a pretty big reader, although I fell off the wagon a bit this year. I recently finished Haruki Murakami's new book, Killing Commendatore. I enjoyed it. Murakami's fiction is always quite strange. This one is a bit of a homage to the Great Gatsby.

I'm currently reading The Word is Murder by Anthony Horowitz. This guy is mostly known for his YA fiction, but is trying his hand at the adult game. He was approached by the estate of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle to write new Sherlock Holmes novel(s). I've read the first one (House of Silk), which was pretty good. My dad enjoyed it and his second offering (Moriarty).

Anyway, this book is in a similar vein--Horowitz has written a fictional version of himself as a "Watson" to a modern day "Sherlock." Enjoyable read so far; I think the mystery will have some clever twists.

George RR Martin (author of the Song of Ice and Fire series) has been promising the next book in the line for years now. He has said that the book series has two more to finish it. He is notorious for taking years longer than promised. So...he has promised to write two more books to finish the series and out comes a book that is in the same universe (and it's not exactly a short one either) instead of giving us the books to finish the series. He is not exactly a picture of perfect health...so it is highly unlikely that we will actually see another book, let alone two.

Apparenelty he told the producers of the show how the story ends just in case he died before they finished the TV series. I’ve heard that the next book is done but there hasn’t been a publishing date announced so I doubt it actually is completed.

I've read The Last Wish and Blood of Elves. IIRC, The Last Wish is a collection of vignettes about the Witcher. I enjoyed it. Just light, fun reading about monster slaying.

I'm a pretty big reader, although I fell off the wagon a bit this year. I recently finished Haruki Murakami's new book, Killing Commendatore. I enjoyed it. Murakami's fiction is always quite strange. This one is a bit of a homage to the Great Gatsby.

I'm currently reading The Word is Murder by Anthony Horowitz. This guy is mostly known for his YA fiction, but is trying his hand at the adult game. He was approached by the estate of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle to write new Sherlock Holmes novel(s). I've read the first one (House of Silk), which was pretty good. My dad enjoyed it and his second offering (Moriarty).

Anyway, this book is in a similar vein--Horowitz has written a fictional version of himself as a "Watson" to a modern day "Sherlock." Enjoyable read so far; I think the mystery will have some clever twists.

The Sherlock Holmes books sound pretty cool John. I’ll have to check those out.

Finished the Horowitz novel. I enjoyed it—especially if you’ve read some of his other works.

Just started Chernow’s biography of Alexander Hamilton. This has been on the list for a while and I have high hopes. Has anyone else tackled this popular work?

Finished the Horowitz novel. I enjoyed it—especially if you’ve read some of his other works.

Just started Chernow’s biography of Alexander Hamilton. This has been on the list for a while and I have high hopes. Has anyone else tackled this popular work?

The Hamilton biography did catch my eye, but I haven't picked it up.

Nope...but interested in your thoughts!

Well it isn't much but as mentioned elsewhere trying to get back into reading like I used too. I am reading the Game Of Thrones and currently 100 pages in.

Well it isn't much but as mentioned elsewhere trying to get back into reading like I used too. I am reading the Game Of Thrones and currently 100 pages in.

Awesome way to get back into a reading habit! The first book can be a bit confusing at first because there are so many characters, but once you get them down it’s really good. Do you watch the show? If so that makes it a little easier.

Awesome way to get back into a reading habit! The first book can be a bit confusing at first because there are so many characters, but once you get them down it’s really good. Do you watch the show? If so that makes it a little easier.

I am in season 4 on the show. I do not subscribe to HBO so takes me a little longer to watch them. I am hoping to find a deal on the blu rays or possibly get a deal on the digital copies. This would speed up the viewing process. Because currently I rely on my local library. Which sadly the wait list is pretty long.

Gotcha. Getting the hang of the characters won’t be an issue for you then. Keep us posted with your thoughts on the show vs the book. I’m current on both, I’m curious to hear your opinion.

Back