The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Reading Lounge

I need to revisit Tolkien soon. Every time plan to pick up The Hobbit or The Fellowship, I find something new and pick that up instead lol

Tolkien is what got me to enjoy reading. I need to get back into the habit again but i have been in a holding pattern waiting for about 4 or 5 authors to get the next book of various series on the shelves.

I need to revisit Tolkien soon. Every time plan to pick up The Hobbit or The Fellowship, I find something new and pick that up instead lol

I've had the same problem, but decided that I would not buy any new books this year, and confine my reading to what is already on our shelves (lots to choose from, believe me) or from the library.

I can't believe I am going to admit this but I have never finished a Tolkien book.

You're not the only one. Stuff written by Oxford professors can sound dry from the reading, even if the story is great. This year I plan to tackle The Silmarillion again after finishing the 2 remaining LOTR books. I've read all of Tolkien's stuff many times, so this is like getting together with old friends for me. The Silmarillion is a very distant friend who's too quirky to see very often.

Tolkien is what got me to enjoy reading. I need to get back into the habit again but i have been in a holding pattern waiting for about 4 or 5 authors to get the next book of various series on the shelves.

Pick up The Hobbit and dive right back, you will feel like you never left.

Same here. The Hobbit was the first book I read more than once.

So many books I'd love to go back and read but also so many stories that I just want to read. One series I've read a few times though however mainly because it's a quick read is My Side of the Mountain.

Also have re-read the Harry Potter Series.

Perhaps when done with the Game of Thrones series maybe I'll give Tolkien another try. Or perhaps it's a good candidate for audio book?

*snip*

Perhaps when done with the Game of Thrones series maybe I'll give Tolkien another try. Or perhaps it's a good candidate for audio book?

If you're going with Audible for your Tolkien audio version, the books read by Rob Inglis are excellent. He has that English 'country' feel to his voice that matches perfectly with the story. LOTR and The Hobbit are heroic, but the main heroes are country folk. I just finished my re-read of The Two Towers and it was great. I have recently hesitated to read it, since film version of it is brutal and grinding. The book is anything but, and in 300 pages, Tolkien dispatches with the Battles of Helm's Deep and Isengard, along with getting Frodo and Sam into Mordor. Peter Jackson took 3+ hours to do it, and changed the story a bit. Somehow, there is more action in the book than in the film.

I'm moving on to Perelandra, 2nd book in CS Lewis's Space Trilogy. I recently discovered Project Gutenberg, which digitizes open source books (e.g. those older than 95 years), so all of Shakespeare, Dickens, Swift, etc are available for free. They have a free (or 99 cent paid, ad-free) app for the content as well.

If you're going with Audible for your Tolkien audio version, the books read by Rob Inglis are excellent. He has that English 'country' feel to his voice that matches perfectly with the story. LOTR and The Hobbit are heroic, but the main heroes are country folk. I just finished my re-read of The Two Towers and it was great. I have recently hesitated to read it, since film version of it is brutal and grinding. The book is anything but, and in 300 pages, Tolkien dispatches with the Battles of Helm's Deep and Isengard, along with getting Frodo and Sam into Mordor. Peter Jackson took 3+ hours to do it, and changed the story a bit. Somehow, there is more action in the book than in the film.

I'm moving on to Perelandra, 2nd book in CS Lewis's Space Trilogy. I recently discovered Project Gutenberg, which digitizes open source books (e.g. those older than 95 years), so all of Shakespeare, Dickens, Swift, etc are available for free. They have a free (or 99 cent paid, ad-free) app for the content as well.

Well 2019 is the year of George RR Martin for me for physical read. I am listening to the Eragon series currently, perhaps I will give Audible a try for LOTR once done.

Due to time I have also Audiblized. Just finished No Angel ( I went to High School with Jay Dobbins) and some Vernor Vinge Novels,. currently listening to a autobiography A life in parts by Bryan Cranston Lots of fun.

Due to time I have also Audiblized. Just finished No Angel ( I went to High School with Jay Dobbins) and some Vernor Vinge Novels,. currently listening to a autobiography A life in parts by Bryan Cranston Lots of fun.
I read A Life in Parts. Very much enjoyed it. A must read (or listen) if you’re a fan of Cranston and Breaking Bad! Is BC the narrator? I bet that adds to the entertainment.

If you like memoirs read by the author, you can’t go wrong with Steve Martin’s ‘Born Standing Up.’ The wild and crazy guy is a very thoughtful writer.

If you like memoirs read by the author, you can’t go wrong with Steve Martin’s ‘Born Standing Up.’ The wild and crazy guy is a very thoughtful writer.
That one is on my radar and actually Cranston mentions it in his, Thanks for the reminder

So an update on my reading/audio books

I am about 250 pages in on Clash of Kings. The story is a little bit more slow going than the first book, so I am not reading as much each night but still enjoying the overall story.

For audio today on my lunch break I finished Eldest (the second book in the Eragon Series) This book was SIGNIFICANTLY better written than the first book. I am excited to start the 3rd book on my commute home. If you haven't read this series I would recommend it. IT is actually quite good.

Starting a biography of John Quincy Adams on audio this week. I did David McCullough’s biography of his father on audio as well.

Just finished "Marine Sniper" which was the story of Carlos Hathcock who was the best sniper our country had ever seen. He was a Vietnam era sniper and much of the current sniper programs out there got their roots from Carlos' work developing the sniper craft in wartime use. This was a very interesting read with the author admitting that he added likely fictional conversations that he knew took place but didn't have word for word transcripts or anything like that to work with. Many of the movies on this topic have borrowed off the true life accomplishments of Carlos'. Next on deck is a book on tracking.

Back