The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Reading Lounge

dangerousdon

"I am Udderly Insufferable”
Veteran
Concierge Emeritus
I am surprised that we don't have a thread about what you are currently reading or what new book you just bought. Or how about that magazine you found that interesting article. The latest item on your Kindle...come on guys and gals...I know we read around here...so let everyone know!

This is one of those books that I was really sad that I lost a couple of years ago in the flood. I had a copy that I carried with me in Afghanistan. At the time, there was very little in the way of print that told a story about what I was to expect in the Wild, Wild, Central Asia. But I had a copy...and at the time, there were not too many of them around. It gave me a little insight into the mysterious country and some of the warriors I might come up against. And then the flood came and I lost it.

My wife surprised me today with a copy of this book that is dear to my heart! I was so happy to see it when she presented it to me. I will likely read this from cover to cover...again. It's a compilation of real attacks and defenses from the famous Mujahideen against the Soviet Army. It is an education into Guerrilla Warfare. Che Guevera could only dream of the effectiveness of this type of warfare against a much superior force.

Super happy today that I got my book back!

I don’t read. I can’t stand the act of reading. I get uncomfortable and figity. No matter how good the story is, I can’t seem to read very long, and I get bored.

Only one one book has ever stayed with me. I read it in 9th grade for a book report in English class. Changed my life and has stuck with me forever.

For my last birthday, my 42nd, my girlfriend gave me this first edition copy of it.

But don’t take Don’s word for it!

Good thread idea Don!
Oh yeah...look who's the funny guy!
1f60b.png

I don’t read. I can’t stand the act of reading. I get uncomfortable and figity. No matter how good the story is, I can’t seem to read very long, and I get bored.

Only one one book has ever stayed with me. I read it in 9th grade for a book report in English class. Changed my life and has stuck with me forever.

For my last birthday, my 42nd, my girlfriend gave me this first edition copy of it.

Now that's a gift!

I have to say that I listen to books rather than read them. I got on a John Grisham kick for a long while and went through 7 of his. Intersperced between those were others. I did Jurassic Park, which was a better story than the movie of course. The book about the scent industry I mentioned in another thread. Currently started a fiction called The Terminal List written by a retired Navy Seal I believe.

Another I'll mention is FantasticLand. Basically a Disney competitor and a huge storm hits isolating the park and remaining workers from civilization for a period of time. Of course, they for groups and turn on each other. It's interesting though, because it's told through interviews with the people after the fact.

I should really do this. I could listen to a book while I'm moving the yard. That'd be a good use of my time.
Yep, that or podcasts. Thought the only shaving podcast around now is really terrible. I listen whenever I'm in the car by myself, grocery shopping, painting, yard work. Pretty much any time I'm outside the house and not with someone.

Just stumbled upon this thread. Kind of disappointed more people aren’t participating. I love to read, although these days I’m pretty busy so it takes much longer for me to get through a book. Currently reading Dune for the first time.

Currently I am reading The Girl Caught in the Spider Web by David Lagercrantz. It's a continuation of the "Millinnium" Series originally authored by Stieg Larsson. I read the three books preceding this one and absolutely loved it. A very well developed story with polarizing characters. Mr. Larsson took the "flawed hero" to a whole different level in Lisbeth Salander. Mr. Larsson had already passed away by the time I started the books and when I finished the "Trilogy," I was left a little sad. Finishing these books made me feel like I was saying good bye to a best friend. I really enjoyed them. When I heard that they were bringing on another author to continue the series, I was pretty skeptical. However, but for some minor differences, at least this book reads as if Mr. Larsson himself wrote it. The Girl Caught in the Spider Web so far is a great read...I am really enjoying it. The funny thing is, I have had this book in my Kindle for more than a year and when I saw the movie trailers come out, I decided that I needed to read it before I saw the movie! I definitely recommend this book for mature audiences.

I ‘m still patiently waiting for the next book in the series. George R. R. Martin really likes to take his time lol.

You and me both...but I am thinking it won't happen. I have seen pics of GRRM, and let's just say that he does not look like a picture of perfect health.

Back