The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Blackland Vector SE US Tour......

Package is in the mail to Bob. I enjoyed the razor. I really like the aesthetics. Not sure if I'll pop for one just yet as I have 3 DEs that perform well for me, but it is not ruled out. Thanks for the opportunity Gus!

List of participants. Remember, copy the list to your post, add your name and carry on. Or, just pm me and I will get you listed. First come order is how it will be set. No rock, paper, scissors here..... 😜

1. Dave in KY (completed)
2. Uacowboy (completed)
3. NurseDave (completed)
4. LBKINDY (completed)
5. Bobmsp (waiting)
6. Dangerousdon (in the hole)
7. Dmshaver

That's concise 😂😛😂
I was hoping to fix that before anyone read it. But I obviously didn't

Preshave: Crown Preshave Gel
Soap: LPL Oud Santal (from box)
Brush: Paladin Cleo
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Feather Professional (1)
AS: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla

I broke the cardinal rule of testing and changed more than one variable on the initial run. And that's too bad because the shave was good but not great. The razor felt well balanced in hand and seemed to move well. But things felt a little tuggy. I don't know if it was the soap or the blade or the razor since they're all new to me.

Tomorrow I will go back to a known soap and change to a P-30, which is the blade I was using last week with the General in that passaround. Stay tuned.

Today's shave gave me a feel for what folks rave about with the Vector.

Preshave: Grooming Dept Lavender Preshave
Soap: Grooming Dept Yuzu
Brush: Simpson's Chubby 2 Super
Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Schick Proline P-30 (1)
AS: Dr. Jon's Hydra
AS: Grooming Dept Rejuvenating Serum - Black Pepper and Lemon

I went back to tried and true products in order to focus on the razor today. Yuzu may be my favorite GD soap, even though it's one of Mo's first and a vegan base. I always get a good lather from it and the scent is wonderful (IMHO).

I read a review of the Vector comparing it to a sports car and I'd say that is apt. The ride may be a little more out there, but the performance is undeniable. Today's shave was not the smoothest I've felt during the process, but my face is very smooth after 2 passes. A lot of sonic feedback while shaving and it felt a little rough in a few places, but the head is as maneuverable as I've ever used and the handle feels great in my hand. I found I grip the handle a little lower than I sometimes do on other lighter razors, but my hand naturally fell into place with a finger against the central indentation in the handle.

I like smooth shavers but I do have some efficient performers that are favorites as well, even if they're not my smoothest razors. I could see this one falling into that category even if I'm not able to tame it further. Now that I know that I can get a good shave from the Vector, I'm planning on doing a shave-off with it. More tomorrow.

So today's (and tomorrow's) shave is a shave-off comparison between the Vector and the brass Colonial General. (I was the last person on the General pass-around and Josh was nice enough to let me hold on to it for a little while longer. Figured I should take my chance since he's on a different continent at the moment.) When I tried the General last week, I thought it was great. But in my mind, I thought I ought to like the Vector more. Today was a chance to find out head to head.

The shave:

IMG_2350.jpg

Preshave (not shown): Grooming Dept Lavender Preshave
Soap: Barrister & Mann Barrister's Reserve Lavender
Brush: Paladin Cleo
Razor/Blade (left): Colonial General with Schick Proline P-30 (2)
Razor/Blade (right): Blackland Vector with Schick Proline P-30 (2)
AS: ABC Almond Oil Aftershave Milk

I kept with another of my reliable soaps so that I could concentrate on the razors and their shaves. Today was an early and quick day for me since I had to drive my son's carpool to school. So just 2 passes and done fairly quickly. First up was the General on the left side. Although it was heavy, the General glided down my face and gave me a smooth ride WTG. The Vector was a bit more lively and felt a little rougher on the first WTG pass. (As an aside, I started shaving with the non-blade side of the head. Assume that you get used to it.)

As I re-lathered I wondered whether my expectations were all wrong. Would I like the General more? As I had my second pass (XTG with cleanup), no clear answer appeared. The General felt great. But the Vector seemed to calm down a little and felt smoother. And the final product after the AS dried down was very nice for both. If I had to choose, though, I'd say that the Vector side was a little smoother than the General.

As I write this nearly 7 hours later, I have clear feelings of whiskers on both sides and there's not really a perceptible difference between them.

So - a draw? I was hoping that there would be a clear winner that would guide me one way or the other. I'm going to do one more head-to-head competition tomorrow and really focus on making sure I use no pressure. Hopefully that will give me a clearer picture.

I thought they weren't doing anything as they were focused on a de razor
More recently, I heard some place else that they are now back to doing the revised General as well. (I know that the SE market is a niche market of a niche market, but I'd think it's really hard to be wildly successful introducing a new DE these days. I would try to keep the SE sales as long as I could if I were them.)

More recently, I heard some place else that they are now back to doing the revised General as well. (I know that the SE market is a niche market of a niche market, but I'd think it's really hard to be wildly successful introducing a new DE these days. I would try to keep the SE sales as long as I could if I were them.)
I agree. They wasted a lot of sales while people are hunting used ones .

Supposedly, a General 2.0 is in the works. But yes - availability is a big advantage.
I thought they weren't doing anything as they were focused on a de razor

That be right. Final prototype of the V2.0 was projected to be in Colonial Razors hands this month if not already. Thinner and sleeker profile plus knurling were the projected upgrades for the General. A good move I think on their part to improve on the Brass Gen and continue in the SE market. It's where they broke ground and were immensely successful.

That be right. Final prototype of the V2.0 was projected to be in Colonial Razors hands this month if not already. Thinner and sleeker profile plus knurling were the projected upgrades for the General. A good move I think on their part to improve on the Brass Gen and continue in the SE market. It's where they broke ground and were immensely successful.
Wise, all knowing Gus...bestow your knowledge upon us! :ROFLMAO:

All I saw was that development was official on their site, which has otherwise been dark for the last year.

Sounds like an insta-buy to me.

Wise, all knowing Gus...bestow your knowledge upon us! :ROFLMAO:

All I saw was that development was official on their site, which has otherwise been dark for the last year.

Sounds like an insta-buy to me.

From what Kyle has said in bits and pieces across some of the forums, he's extremely excited about this one and believes it will be a knock out performer. Also will be sourced and produced here in the good old USA....

He probably has a prototype and has already pre-ordered knowing Gus 😎

LOL! Don't I wish brother! LOL!!

Back