The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Blackland Vector SE US Tour......

Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Captain Titan Mild Protouch MG (2nd Shave)
Soap/Cream: Declaration Grooming in Collaboration with Chatillon Lux - Vide Poche
Brush: Asylum Brush Works - TSC 1st Anniversary Brush by Eric Sorrentino @Smattayu
Penultimate Aftershave: Thayers Coconut Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave: Declaration Grooming in Collaboration with Chatillon Lux - Vide Poche

Posted the paragraph below in my journal. But I am liking this razor so far a lot. I want a chance with a sharper blade because I honestly, and it looks like Chad and John agree also, I honestly think it will perform better this way. Anyway...we will see what Monday brings!

The wife and went and painted some pottery tonight and so I wanted to be presentable. A shave of course was in order. Of course this is just an excuse to use the Vector again! So I decided to pull out my favorite smelling soap and work in a lot of water to make it super slick. Decided to try out some different angles with the razor and got a pretty good shave! I chased a bit much on my neck and probably got a little too close in a couple spots. But nothing too serious. I am really digging how this razor feels in my hand. The weight of the handle and the lightness of the head are really suiting me. But got to say...this blade needs to be sharper. I mean a lot sharper. So I think Monday I will try out the Feather Super blade that John @The Monkey suggested. But all in all I got a pretty good shave. The neck could be smoother though. But a couple splashes of the same smelling aftershave and I am feeling great!

Don @dangerousdon—I’ve also had the best luck with the sharper blades in my Vector: Feather Pro and Schick Proline FTW. Never tried the Super Pro, but probably more of the same 👍🏻 I’ve used the Kai Pink and it’s fine, just not as good. Guarded blades in this razor are just silly IMO.

Blade: Feather Super Professional (New Blade)
Soap/Cream: Stirling - Weekend in Malibu
Brush: Asylum Brush Works - TSC 1st Anniversary Brush in Timberwolf Synthetic by Eric Sorrentino @Smattayu
The Ultimate Aftershave: Stirling - Weekend in Malibu

Again you can read below what I wrote about the vector. I know it sounds like I had issues below. I mean I guess they are. But I am enjoying using this razor. It just feels really nice in my hands. This is going to be a tough decision for me in whether I want to buy it or not. I just need to get that right blade.

Third Shave with the Blackland vector. I decided to use the Feather Professional Blade this time as recommended by John @The Monkey. This blade is definitely sharper and I think added to the shave in a positive way. But I am not sure it helped out as much as I would have liked! I am really struggling with the horizontal passes on the neck. First of all, I just can't get any angle going that really does much to the middle portion of my neck (on my second pass which is an east to west/west to east pass). But also, on these horizontal strokes, I am scratching the crap out of my neck. Not drawing blood (which is actually amazing), but just scratching my skin where the sides and corners of the blade are catching me. I am still really enjoying the weight and the feel of the razor and there is something about it that just makes me want one. But I need to reserve judgement for when I have used this a couple to few more times!

Blade: Feather Super Professional (New Blade)
Soap/Cream: Stirling - Weekend in Malibu
Brush: Asylum Brush Works - TSC 1st Anniversary Brush in Timberwolf Synthetic by Eric Sorrentino @Smattayu
The Ultimate Aftershave: Stirling - Weekend in Malibu

Again you can read below what I wrote about the vector. I know it sounds like I had issues below. I mean I guess they are. But I am enjoying using this razor. It just feels really nice in my hands. This is going to be a tough decision for me in whether I want to buy it or not. I just need to get that right blade.

Third Shave with the Blackland vector. I decided to use the Feather Professional Blade this time as recommended by John @The Monkey. This blade is definitely sharper and I think added to the shave in a positive way. But I am not sure it helped out as much as I would have liked! I am really struggling with the horizontal passes on the neck. First of all, I just can't get any angle going that really does much to the middle portion of my neck (on my second pass which is an east to west/west to east pass). But also, on these horizontal strokes, I am scratching the crap out of my neck. Not drawing blood (which is actually amazing), but just scratching my skin where the sides and corners of the blade are catching me. I am still really enjoying the weight and the feel of the razor and there is something about it that just makes me want one. But I need to reserve judgement for when I have used this a couple to few more times!

Good observation. I should have mentioned it but, I simply forgot and your post just brought it back to me. This Vector is from the very first release and it has been documented in other forums that the ends ate actually quite sharp and can feel as though it is scrapping or digging into the skin. There were quite a few shavers that experienced this. It was brought to Shane's attention over at Blackland and the issue was resolved in subsequent batches with rounded top cap corners virtually eliminating the feeling of the razor biting when it wasn't. I have the polished version also and I can confirm that the ends on the cap are slightly muted with no sharp feel to them.

Perhaps that is what you are getting/feeling at times when you're going left to right and vice versa. I never got that feeling when I shaved with the matte finish but, like I said it's one of the original releases with the sharper ends and that could be contributing to your dilemma.

Good observation. I should have mentioned it but, I simply forgot and your post just brought it back to me. This Vector is from the very first release and it has been documented in other forums that the ends ate actually quite sharp and can feel as though it is scrapping or digging into the skin. There were quite a few shavers that experienced this. It was brought to Shane's attention over at Blackland and the issue was resolved in subsequent batches with rounded top cap corners virtually eliminating the feeling of the razor biting when it wasn't.
Ooooh, even better!

Good observation. I should have mentioned it but, I simply forgot and your post just brought it back to me. This Vector is from the very first release and it has been documented in other forums that the ends ate actually quite sharp and can feel as though it is scrapping or digging into the skin. There were quite a few shavers that experienced this. It was brought to Shane's attention over at Blackland and the issue was resolved in subsequent batches with rounded top cap corners virtually eliminating the feeling of the razor biting when it wasn't. I have the polished version also and I can confirm that the ends on the cap are slightly muted with no sharp feel to them.

Perhaps that is what you are getting/feeling at times when you're going left to right and vice versa. I never got that feeling when I shaved with the matte finish but, like I said it's one of the original releases with the sharper ends and that could be contributing to your dilemma.
Wondered what all the sniveling was about. Forgot about the first version corners.

Thanks for the explanation. I seriously thought it was the blade somehow, but was a little baffled. This definitely helps.

Sorry, no pic today guys! It was the exact same set up as yesterday though. Here is what I wrote in my journal (in part), and after, I have a couple additional thoughts...

"Back to the Vector. I did something different with my shave this morning. I went at my neck at a 45 degree angle as opposed to the normal north south and east west model I have been doing. Tried to stretch my skin as much as I could (I really suck at skin stretching, thus my apprehension to really get into straights). I ended up with a slightly better shave on my neck than I usually do. I did, however, end up using more pressure than I usually do and so when it came time to splash on the Thayers and the After Shave...yup...my face felt it. Let's just say I felt a slight tingle...🤪. Ended up with a DFS+. I'll take that for the win!"

A couple other thoughts I have...

I love the weight of the handle...it works with the lightness of the head. In a perfect world I would really love a handle that is longer and thicker...but really this one is plenty big enough. Keeping with the handle, I really do wish there was a different knurling on it. Something with a more aggressive feel so that might have a better grip. The grip on the handle now isn't bad...but I did find myself losing grip a couple of times. As much as the Vector costs...I definitely don't want to drop it. in fact...maybe they can make a teather or lanyard that attaches so it can't fall to the floor! 🤪

Now that I understand about the corners...they were not as big of an issue this morning as they were the past few shaves. Anyway...I am really enjoying this time with the vector. I'll take one or two more shaves and then pack it up and send it on to...on to...well hell...who am I sending it to? On that note...I guess I need to update the list and figure out who is after me!

Here is the updated list!

List of participants. Remember, copy the list to your post, add your name and carry on. Or, just pm me and I will get you listed. First come order is how it will be set. No rock, paper, scissors here..... 😜

1. Dave in KY (completed)
2. Uacowboy (completed)
3. NurseDave (completed)
4. LBKINDY (completed)
5. Bobmsp (completed)
6. Dangerousdon (in hand testing)
7. Dmshaver (on deck)

Yup. Looks like @dmshaver is next and I think the last one as I see no other names after. Well, the pass around may have run it's course I guess. I'll button it up once dmshaver gets his shaves in.

Yup. Looks like @dmshaver is next and I think the last one as I see no other names after. Well, the pass around may have run it's course I guess. I'll button it up once dmshaver gets his shaves in.
Honestly...I think it has been a really good pass around. MAybe short...but full of really good info. Plus I got to try a razor that I otherwise might not have been able to try! Thank you so much for allowing us to test you toys!

Short? Yes, but a growing forum we expected this right. Gus, thanks again for helping me get a chance to try and end up buying a BIG WINNER se razor for me with confidence because I knew what I was getting and HAD to have it !!!!!

Thanks for moving me to the end of the line. Now when I get the Vector I can take the time to enjoy it!
.... begins 6 month trial.......
I think that's what rule #1 said...
1. Please limit your time with the gear to no more than 180 days.

Or something like that! Isn't that how you read it? 😂
Lol!!! 😂🤣😂

He who is last and patiently awaits reaps the best rewards. Keep it as long as you need to amigo. Enjoy the heck out of it.

Happy shaves....

Short? Yes, but a growing forum we expected this right. Gus, thanks again for helping me get a chance to try and end up buying a BIG WINNER se razor for me with confidence because I knew what I was getting and HAD to have it !!!!!

You're absolutely right brother. Short but a wealth of info for those coming in later. Well said....👍

Lol!!! 😂🤣😂

He who is last and patiently awaits reaps the best rewards. Keep it as long as you need to amigo. Enjoy the heck out of it.

Happy shaves....
Thank you, I appreciate your kindness & generosity Gus. I look forward to having a nice test drive with the Vector. But I'm not going to take advantage of you & misuse the spirit of the pass-around. I promise I will keep it less than 180 days! Much less!!! 😂

I'll be shipping it back after 5 - 7 shaves. And again, thank you sir!

Blade: Schick Proline P-30 (New Blade)
Soap/Cream: Stirling - Bay Rum
Brush: Stirling 24mm Fan in Finest Badger
Penultimate Aftershave: Humphreys Alcoholado Maravilla
The Ultimate Aftershave: Stirling - Grand Bay - Bay Rum

0gbINnE5V4_WwNnkpPS1acMq5vnbXnDVWTjhaIHxGf9MGirr_pxOuFmfisjDtJa98jA7A5C6bJO1S0tghv4SYAiwo4v2byplVLM5g3hYXFgwetq-rpdVS2Ee0FwB63M5DThxTTFs4Tn4vLEbyWi2rMYcFK-aj3xZjrebTYjTMixEKFyYZyO3-IbXlL19Lh2BSt2VZRVgimm0Ig3TYgxt9pb-MF7GnRvmDolMCtxeLxHUD4Ls8wlUD6OMav2F9IIrdK9tjHWdCMzZuD1PCpAErhTz-2Pxm-ojDNqmQYYV6dUf3UTHcMnTakZkmz5khs97T3FsaEeLfKjaM8mcCEmHvdD1RCqc_IPUzY6wH_azYc7UfVaPJhhFZkml03mN5eN5BKlenitNYXOEj2xwWU97s7ryBz0hpAlxOroWVpw1QTzIbKpCIIcYkWH35-HmZzxqhXPdvyoVz-6WhhDljljY631KTpesLX5t8q7H-_MDUglCDF47Oar_Pmj-SZ2nPsXi_8Xi7DP1Z3CyV-MJxn3aPV5bn4FaEh0oGoAzeno3AEQW1r8Ay_7D-WASzH9ueb9GJNRBuK94qJTCPQ8il4PmGFqalEYcTVgzlWRSR275_M2CXvNEwbAhtz86bmZLvNvrC6dij9oPszZ74S2Hu1ID-U_KDIpMUA4=w1190-h893-no

Okay...before I get into what I wrote in my journal. I have to say...that this is razor with this blade might be the best combo I have ever shaved with. I was debating using another blade, but I just wasn't all that satisfied with what I experienced. So I went ahead. Now, I can honestly say...WOW!!! What incredible smoothness. If I can get just a fraction of this smoothness every time...then man...this is the setup. My last review I might have been grouchy. I still wish there was a little better grip on the handle...but the current knurling is sufficient...plus it looks fantastic. And while I really do wish the handle was a bit bigger...I also understand that my hands are not the average size. The weight and size of the handle a really fine with me. But man...have to say again...this morning's shave was absolutely fantastic! I wrote more in my journal...but here is the nuts an bolts about the Vector today.

So the question of the day is..."Why didn't I pick the P-30 blade before any other blade?" The Schick Proline P-30 blade in the Blackland Vector is THE set up. There was virtually no effort in this shave and man was it smooth! Obviously I had to pay attention to what I was doing, but little pressure and man I am smooth. I went three passes and a little cleanup. My face is as smooth as I ever can remember. The neck, where I and we have the most problems usually, is just really a notch below what the face is...but maybe the smoothest I have ever had it. Yup, based on this shave alone...if I can scrounge up the cashola and keep the purchase from the wife...looks like I will be looking for a Vector at some point. This shave was that good.

A few glugs of the Grand Bay Bay Rum...and oh man...I feel like a Privateer! The shave was a BBS on the Face and very close on the neck. Let's call this a Super Duper DFS +++. Otherwise known as a BBS Lite!

Back