The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What Fragrance Did You Use Today?

Chanel - Antaeus

Nipped down to Stockmann after ballet today and sampled a few of Diptyque's rose-centric scents, and sprayed on Antaeus.
I really like it, I'm sure I'll pick it up at some point. I honestly don't get the mystique around it being some heavyweight badboy, at least not in the current version. It's a nice oily leather with rose and incense. More meditative to me than tough guy.
I used to go to the Vedanta temple in Hollywood, to me it smells exactly like the reading room. Well worn leather chairs, and the cumulative smell of years of burning incense and flower offerings.

Chanel - Antaeus

Nipped down to Stockmann after ballet today and sampled a few of Diptyque's rose-centric scents, and sprayed on Antaeus.
I really like it, I'm sure I'll pick it up at some point. I honestly don't get the mystique around it being some heavyweight badboy, at least not in the current version. It's a nice oily leather with rose and incense. More meditative to me than tough guy.
I used to go to the Vedanta temple in Hollywood, to me it smells exactly like the reading room. Well worn leather chairs, and the cumulative smell of years of burning incense and flower offerings.
Leather, rose and incense you say?? That gets me excited!! 😀

giphy.gif

Leather, rose and incense you say?? That gets me excited!! 😀

giphy.gif
I figured Antaeus would be old news to you. Since you like C&S 88, I think you'll dig this too. A bit hard to believe it's a Chanel, I might have undersold it having an edge, which it definitely does. But it's not a skank beast at all.

Oddly, at least here, it's cheaper to buy direct from Chanel than in a store. It was 20€ more expensive there.

Last edited:
It's cheap enough ($14 on Amazon) so it wont break the bank. However, there's very little difference between this and the stuff you can get at pretty much any Walmart. All you're really paying for is the fancy glass bottle.
Thanks for the reply my friend, and thanks for the pic of the "Black Suede".... an underappreciated scent in my opinion.

Lorenzo Villoresi - Ambra
One thing that fascinates me with perfumery is how some houses will have a very clear DNA, a commonality in composition or spirt between many of the. fragrances of the house. Lorenzo has a very clear style, a style the seems to stand outside of time itself.
Natural, earthy, dusty tones seem to dominate many of his works, and Ambra is a magnum opus of that aspect of his perfumery. Though the name might suggest yet another pedestrian amber, this is totally unique. There's a musty, dusty quality here that feels as if the fragrance had been frozen in time. I'm personally sure that the name derives, at least in part, from the use of real ambergris (or he has found a magic accord that suggests the real stuff). The ambergris gives a spiritual sense of the sea. This is no merry aquatic, no this feels as if Poseidon himself was hovering over you, filling you with awe and dread.

Lorenzo has created what I consider to be a few masterpiece level fragrances, this being one. Though like many regard art works, it might not appeal to everyone. But if it does, it may be magic.

Lorenzo Villoresi Ambra.jpg

Pierre Guillaume Lune d'Eau
Inspired by moonlight shinning on lake water. This has the touches of a classic masculine fougere, a fern in winter lakeside.
That aside, I picked this up last summer, but knew there would come a time during the winter where this would be just the right thing. Somehow there's a cold element in this that also cuts through the cold while remaining incredibly fresh, and refreshing. After months of going towards heavier fragrances, one just needs to lighten things up a bit, and get just a whiff of hope that spring will come again.
Yet another winner from the house, and one I think anyone can enjoy.

Pierre Guillaume Lune d'Eau.jpg

Back