The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What Fragrance Did You Use Today?

Costume National - Free d’Homme
Citrus coated incense. If yesterday’s fragrance took me to a medieval cathedral, this takes me to a modern glass and steel church. Really wonderful offering from Costume National, a top 2022 release.

1672402267459.jpeg

I love how this frag smells! Classic & modern barbershop all at the same time!

Agreed. The way this fragrance is built really is art. Why? Well, if you look at the notes they are basic & straightforward. Lavender extract at the top with Oakmoss, Mint, Rosemary, Basil & Geranium for the slight floral accord In the mids. Those mids are where that classic vibe along with the Lavender in the opening comes from. But, the beauty is in the slight twist at the end with a Patchouli & Amber accord that adds depth and warmth. It just grounds the scent beautifully not letting it get too herbally or vegetal. Just the right amount of an herbal, green and warm freshness that is masterfully done. Personally, I consider it to be one of the best aromatic fougeres in the market. One of the finest creations that gives an old school barbershop genre fragrance some proper modern upgrades yet still have some dna from yesteryear. For me only Tom Ford Oud Wood & for Men Extreme (and the OG for Men) surpass this in quality of creation.

In the low to mid 60's today in the US Northeast. Haven't worn this much since I purchased it last year on sale at a local Sephora. Quality is there with a high end richness & sophistication. Slightly aquatic on my skin but, more an aromatic & woods vibe with the Cypress and Oak being the major players. Yes, lemon off the top that fades away after 10 mins which leads to a lightly salted air and marine like touch leading into an amber like accord that is dense yet alluring. Not super heavy but, present that's just enough to give a warmness to it. Definitely an upscale quality juice but, I don't know if it's just like or love yet. It's only a little over a month old. I'll let the air work its magic and we'll see if some time macerating helps this creation out. Blind buy worthy? Jury is still out.....

IMG_20230103_044403010.jpg
s-l500.jpg

Back