The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What Fragrance Did You Use Today?

Lorenzo Viloresi - Ambra
This one snuck up on me, didn't do much for me at first, but now it's really becoming a favorite. Not a typical amber though the name might make it sound like one.
Opening is a green resinous dusty thing, powered by galbanum and cistus. The holy trio of labdanum, myrrh, and frankincense follow, along with what many, including myself think is a dose of real ambergris. The ambergris is the real magic here, giving a certain air to the whole fragrance.
It might sound like a dense powerhouse, but it wears close, and is more of a personal scent, that just feels like it belongs on you.

Great stuff, and likely my next purchase.

Miller Harris - L'Air de Rein
Still getting to know this one, it's a real shape shifter and thus a bit tricky to describe. It's hard to believe this was make for a women, Jane Birken, tbh I don't know much about her, but I guess she wanted this to remind her of her father, and I can believe it did as it's gat a backbone of a very classic 70's masculine. Makes me think of old Mennen Speed Stick, or something of that sort. However there's a lot more going on over and under that backbone. Medicinal, feral, barnyard, type things waft in and out, there's a real feral aspect that lurks, and occasionally pops out to let you know it's presence, at first a bit much, but now I've come to like it, as a part of a whole which really works as a very wearable, personal fragrance.
I can see this being a sort of niche 'dumb reach' even though a bit contradictory in that, it's both challenging and very wearable, the type of scent that feels part of you wearable.
Not for the casual fraghead, but for those looking for something a bit more, yet somehow also so familiar, this is a good one.

IMG_0825.jpeg

AM: Miller Harris - L'Air de Rein
Getting to know this, so strange, simultaneously one of my most challenging, and easiest dumb reach wears. The challenging part is almost a hook, daring me to come back. I'll say the final dry down is really great, just as a natural man scent, really love it in the gym for example. An odd beast is all I can say, but glad to have it.

PM: Mancera - Tonka Cola
Well contrasts indeed, from barnyard smells to cola candy / rum and cherry coke. Great to take the edge off another fun scent, but I'd say this is one that could work in a formal setting as well.

IMG_0834.jpeg

My favorite from Narciso Rodriguez. The original for him with musk, violet leaf, pepper, patchouli and amber. Melancholic yet with presence, almost Gothic. If Vlad The Impaler (some say the origins of vampires or Dracula himself) wore a scent, this would be his signature. Dark like smoothness that still has an elevated feel with a slightly sweetened backbone. Master perfumery at its finest from none other than Maison Francis Kurkdjian. Discontinued and a loss for the fragrance universe. But, he's director at Dior so, you never know. Could create a new Farenheit with this fragrance DNA. Fingers crossed....🤞

him-narciso-rodriguez.png

I had been putting aside some cash to get another Creed - (I have both Vikings and while I appreciate the success of Aventus - not really interested it getting that for now)……and I had it narrowed down to four (Erolfa (which I’ve smelled and love), Neroli Sauvage (which I know will be right up my alley), Virgin Island Water (I know I’ll like but I have probably 20 scents that are fun like this one), and Tabarome Millesime (which is my wildcard because I wanted to be different that the normal ones - but also love that it is a nod to the 30s-40s type colognes)…….

but this one always comes up in Top 10 Creeds - that even novices rave about this one - which takes me by surprise- I personally do not really like that resinous/oud - but this seems to be a really big crowd pleaser.

Todays wearings:
Mancera - Tonka Cola
Really enjoy this one, there's a surprising amount going on. Yes it's gummy cola candies, but with a lot more depth. Unreserved recommendation for Cadre fragheads, can't see anyone here not liking it.

Le Galion - Cuir
Probably my favorite leather, opens with s bright bit of elemi and bergamot. Then that classic Isobutyl Quinoline leather kicks in strong an raw, finally a semi-sweet ambergris emerges and brings the fragrance home. A very simple yet artfully done fragrance.

IMG_0838.jpeg

Back