The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What Fragrance Did You Use Today?

I'm just rotating through my recent Christmas/Birthday gifts, just couldn't be happier with them. One way I can tell I'm really digging a frag is if I top it up in the evening vs going with something different, I've done that almost every wearing in the last week or so.

Yesterday was
Gentry Jockey Club is a wonderfully wearable leather with maybe a touch of 'oud'.
Opening is an uplifting blast of effervescent violet, the note list says rose, and maybe every 3rd wearing I've gotten rose, but mostly comes across as violet.

IMG_0768.jpeg

Today was Horizon (need to take a pic soon) from the same house, omg skanky, musty patchouli to die for, or for someone to tell you to get a better clothes drier for.
Personally it's another huge hit for me, all the offerings I have from the house have been home runs. I know, it's not everyone's cup of tea, but if you like retro vibes, you've got to look into this house.

Have you tried any of the other in the Bleu Noir series GB?
I have the Original Bleu Noir edt plus the Eau de Parfum and had samples of the extreme & Parfum. They all exhibit a blue with musk type cleanliness scent with slight variations in each. The edt differs from the successive flankers in that it has that blue essence enhanced by nutmeg. It's my favorite of the whole Bleu line with the edp right behind it. The Extreme loses the nutmeg from the OG and is replaced with more citrus notes up top and cedar. More bright & effervescent (ambroxan infused more so than any other but, not overly done) but, it loses some of the spicy & peppery blueness of the original. The Parfum is just a slightly denser version of the edp in infusing more of the ebony woods type accord. Nice but, if you own the edp, no need for the Parfum in my estimation. Sampling is the best way to see which of the Bleu & Musk infused juices will play better on your skin.

Sorry for the late reply amigo....

I have the Original Bleu Noir edt plus the Eau de Parfum and had samples of the extreme & Parfum. They all exhibit a blue with musk type cleanliness scent with slight variations in each. The edt differs from the successive flankers in that it has that blue essence enhanced by nutmeg. It's my favorite of the whole Bleu line with the edp right behind it. The Extreme loses the nutmeg from the OG and is replaced with more citrus notes up top and cedar. More bright & effervescent (ambroxan infused more so than any other but, not overly done) but, it loses some of the spicy & peppery blueness of the original. The Parfum is just a slightly denser version of the edp in infusing more of the ebony woods type accord. Nice but, if you own the edp, no need for the Parfum in my estimation. Sampling is the best way to see which of the Bleu & Musk infused juices will play better on your skin.

Sorry for the late reply amigo....
No worries, I appreciate the reply. I'd sample, but it's impossible to find sample of here, and no local stockists either.
I enjoy the original line, so at some point will surely grab something from this one as well.
You know I love spices like nutmeg so that could well be the one for me, I'm going more for EdT's lately anyway, I appreciate the brightness.
The thing I've seen people dock the EdT for is longevity, though tbh that matters less and less to me. Easy enough to respray.

Lorenzo Villoresi EdT - Atman Xaman
This and Miller Harris Fueilles de Tabac are tied for my desert island scents, ultimate masculine tobacco barbershop fougere experience.
The Villoresi is a bit more rough and ready, but still pure class. Manages that favorite perfume trick of mine, balancing weight and effervescence.
Here, Lorenzo showcases his usual collection of aromatic spices, but lightens it with matte, and grounds it via immortelle. The use of immortelle here is so light handed and deft, it can easily dominate a fragrance, but here it simple accentuates and slightly sweetness the realistic tobacco note that appears in the mid.
The show slowly fades with musks, tonka and a dab of amber, which take it in barbershop nirvana for me.

I really appreciate a good evolution, and this one is stellar, with each act as strong as the preceding. Wonderful stuff!

1673107519352.png

Costume National - Cyber Garden
Candy apple green, hot rods, hard rock, and good times!
Renowned perfumer Antoine Lee takes that wonderful but tired green masculine genre and brings it to the 21st century with a dose of metallic faked candy apple, they say it's a vinyl note, which is also cool, but it's sparkling green apple goodness to my nose, green apples laying in a basket of ivy, and well it's fabulous. You can't wear this and frown!

IMG_0814 2.jpeg

Back