The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What Fragrance Did You Use Today?

Had a hankering for some 80's today. Tuscany per Uomo is just perfect for weather like today. In the mid to upper 40's and this juice just brings it. The citrus's and lavender in the opening, the caraway & Tarragon that melts into the Basil, Cinnamon, Sandalwood, Patchouli & Musks is simply phenomenal. In my estimation, it's the 80's derived scent that does not smell dated in the least. If this is how they do gentleman and barbershop in Italy, they nailed it. The Vintage Tuscany that has no label like mine does is a bit denser and slightly more aromatic with this version being slightly sweeter and just as balanced.

Make no mistake though, when one is wearing this, it's like a time capsule and a door to another dimension in time opens and you walk through it. Pure elegance, class and masculinity.

IMG_20221115_044019978.jpg

Costume National - Soul
This is really good, gives high end niche vibes, at an affordable price point, and just as importantly, it’s extremely wearable.
I’d call it an Arabian Amber/Oud type of scent. Though not listed, I get a wonderful, slightly sweet, raspberry accord In the opening, as it’s dying down, there’s more vanilla coming out, but it’s blending with the rest of the fragrance, so as not to become cloying. Most of the time sweet, and vanilla are hard for me to take, but it’s working a treat here with the amber/balsamic elements.
I’d call this another nobrainer blind buy if you’re looking for a wearable semi-formal type scent for the cooler seasons. I haven’t tried the original M7, but I’m seeing comparisons to it, and of course that was legendary.
What‘s impressed me with this house so far is that though clearly designer ingredients, they aren’t skimping on getting great perfumer’s and making a very wearable approachable take on niche style perfumery.
Highly recommend sampling the house if you have a chance. @GearNoir giving your taste, I’m sure you’d love this one.

For me, right now, Free d’Homme was my favorite, and I have a bottle on the way, Homme EDP is on my Christmas list, but I think Soul could be a popular favorite, I’m sure I’ll end up with it at some point, it fills a hole in my collection, at a price I’m willing to pay.

How is availability of Costume National in the State’s by the way.

Yesterday:
Oriza L Legrand - Gentry Jockey Club
Boy what a ride this one is, and a true shapeshifter, I’ve sampled it a few times now, and everytime, a different experience. At the end of the day, it’s a hard love. I’m a fan of fragrances that move during wearing, and this one is such that its phases have phases. I’ve gotten violet, rose, forest floor, gray rainy day in the opening, the mid will give flashes of patchouli, herbal, more gray, amber, Oud, but the dry down, which is a full working day later seems to land in the same place a wonderful dark sandalwood, patchouli, vetiver blend, that’s probably my favorite in all of perfumery.

What I don’t get, is what the name suggests, this isn’t a green like say Aqua di Parma Colonia Club, unless the track is in the middle of an enchanted forest in deep fall.

Lorenzo Villoresi - Atma Xaman

Superb tobacco/barbershop scent. Opens with a fabulous, realistic tobacco. Its like smelling the inside of a box of cigarettes with those loose bits of tobacco. A couple of hours later it totally morphs into a drop dead gorgeous barbershop.

I’ve realized I like tobacco scents, and dug out a forgotten sample of this. I’m always amazed at how the Olfactive sense develops after being exposed to more scents. My first sampling of this I went into with too many expectations of something else and dismissed it. This time, I’m blown away at all that’s going on, and how well executed it is. Villoresi has a way with the barbershop bases, Uomo is also top drawer for me, and this may be even better, at least for this time of year.

Back