The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What’s new to you?

B&M Fougeres Angelique and Fine American Blend
74e4141db38a41d85637053a7f333977.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Barrister and Mann Bay Rum soap... had a “white label” version years ago. Performed well, and more importantly, didn’t set my face on fire, thanks to the omission of cloves. Not quite sure what base this is, Excelsior or its precursor... I have Cologne Russe from April of this year and I notice a difference in ingredients and packaging. Either way, this smells WAY better than the last time I had it.... I can actually smell oranges, rum, and the bay leaf! This is the trademark Bay rum sans clove!!! 👍👍👍

thanks to the omission of cloves.
I don’t believe that there are many, if any, bay rum formulas that actually include cloves in their scent profile. Cinnamon for sure, but cloves? Probably not, for most. The fact of the matter is, that Bay Rum trees and Cloves, are both from the same myrtle family. And depending on how it is processed, the clovey scent is actually coming from the Bay Rum itself.
Scott from Captain’s Choice swears that his Bay Rum has no cloves in it at all, but I find it fairly clovey in scent.

I don’t believe that there are many, if any, bay rum formulas that actually include cloves in their scent profile. Cinnamon for sure, but cloves? Probably not, for most. The fact of the matter is, that Bay Rum trees and Cloves, are both from the same myrtle family. And depending on how it is processed, the clovey scent is actually coming from the Bay Rum itself.
Scott from Captain’s Choice swears that his Bay Rum has no cloves in it at all, but I find it fairly clovey in scent.
I agree they are from the same family, there is no disputing that. But I’ve read directly from many soap makers website descriptions (I can provide references if needed - chiseled face for example, say they use a little clove) that they use clove as a scent in various ways (none, little, or prominently). The issue with clove itself is the compound Eugenol, which does in fact irritate the heck out of my face. I can tolerate the percentage of eugenol present in bay leaf itself, but not clove. That is a bummer, because I love Clubman’s Bay Rum, but way too much clove for my face to tolerate!👎👎👎

I agree with CC not using clove - Cat o nine tails is my go to bay rum aftershave.

I agree they are from the same family, there is no disputing that. But I’ve read directly from many soap makers website descriptions (I can provide references if needed - chiseled face for example, say they use a little clove) that they use clove as a scent in various ways (none, little, or prominently). The issue with clove itself is the compound Eugenol, which does in fact irritate the heck out of my face. I can tolerate the percentage of eugenol present in bay leaf itself, but not clove. That is a bummer, because I love Clubman’s Bay Rum, but way too much clove for my face to tolerate![emoji107][emoji107][emoji107]

I agree with CC not using clove - Cat o nine tails is my go to bay rum aftershave.
I'm guessing, based on the amount of people who have issues, that cinnamon also falls in the high threshold of said Eugenol?

I knew cinnamon and clove were irritants, didn't know they were for the same exact substance. Wicked cool. Looked up Eugenol and wikipedia told me it's also in basil. Don't have any basil soaps, but it's another to avoid (since I'm definitely cinnamon sensitive).

Eugenol /ˈjuːdʒɪnɒl/ is an allyl chain-substituted guaiacol, a member of the allylbenzene class of chemical compounds. It is a colorless to pale yellow, aromatic oily liquid extracted from certain essential oils especially from clove oil, nutmeg, cinnamon, basil and bay leaf.

I'm guessing, based on the amount of people who have issues, that cinnamon also falls in the high threshold of said Eugenol?

I knew cinnamon and clove were irritants, didn't know they were for the same exact substance. Wicked cool. Looked up Eugenol and wikipedia told me it's also in basil. Don't have any basil soaps, but it's another to avoid (since I'm definitely cinnamon sensitive).

Eugenol /ˈjuːdʒɪnɒl/ is an allyl chain-substituted guaiacol, a member of the allylbenzene class of chemical compounds. It is a colorless to pale yellow, aromatic oily liquid extracted from certain essential oils especially from clove oil, nutmeg, cinnamon, basil and bay leaf.
That may be so - I always put my clove/cinnamon intolerance together ever since my disaster with pumpkin pie scented soap years ago 🤦🏼‍♂️I’ve talked to a few soap makers (Lee from WSP comes to mind at the moment) who confirmed that clove/cinnamon is a known allergen for some.

That may be so - I always put my clove/cinnamon intolerance together ever since my disaster with pumpkin pie scented soap years ago 🤦🏼‍♂️I’ve talked to a few soap makers (Lee from WSP comes to mind at the moment) who confirmed that clove/cinnamon is a known allergen for some.
Stirling Bay Rum lights me up with redness and a burning sensation. AA Bay Rum works for me and is my go to.

Back