The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

uacowboy's razor rodeo

Shave 13
20200123_064101.jpg

Shave today was kinda off. Not sure what I did but my lather came out kinda airy and not as slick as normal. It acted well hydrated beyond that and was making a mess all over. The Tai Winds AVON AS from @dangerousdon finished things up nicely though. This one doesn't seem to stick around much for me but it is what it is.

Anyway i got up early to make breakfast. These took a bit longer than most things do.
20200123_091231.jpg

Have a good one Cadre!

Shave 14
20200124_041650.jpg

Solid shave this morning. Been a while since I broke out the whiskey woods.

The Drangonsbeard soap pass around should be at home for me today. USPS decided to take their time with it. I'll probably go ahead and use that Saturday and Sunday and get it sent to the next person on Monday. Looking forward to it with all the great reviews.

Have a great weekend Cadre!

20200125_041149.jpg

First shave with the Dragonsbeard passaround. I really like the scent of this soap. From the tub it is relatively lightly scented and it lightened more once lathered. The splash is much stronger and really nice scent wise. I don't normally bowl lather so I think I stopped adding water slightly before I should have but it still had good slickness for a SR shave. Almost no residual slickness was present today. The soap didn't seem particularly thirsty to me and lathered really well. Had tons of lather that was very stable and didn't dry out and rinsed very cleanly. Due I think to being slightly less hydrated than it should have been my face felt slightly rough/irritated but after a lather soak with what i had left after the shave left my face feeling pretty good. I waited a few minutes before using the splash and almost felt like I didn't need it. When I did use it, the splash absorbed immediately leaving my face feeling well hydrated but not at all greasy or sticky. Just smooth and clean.

Video is uploading right now and will be posted soon.

20200126_041139.jpg

Got a better lather today with the badger brush. Was able to load the brush from the sample in my bowl without it trying to get going to much. Soap was for sure a bit slicker today. Residual slickness was still pretty minimal but slightly better today as well.

Did a double application of the splash today with a few minutes in between and I'd say my face feels maybe a bit more supple compared to yesterday but still not oily or tacky. Just feels really good.

Overall i really like this soap and splash, both for the scent and performance. I know Frank is working on a beta version and is say the only things I'd like to see is a bit more slickness and a bit stronger scent in the soap. The splash is pretty great as is but if he adjusts it as well I'll be curious to try it for sure. This is officially on my short list.

Video is uploading.

Shave 15
20200128_133049.jpg

Back on the 3017 today and had a great shave. Had my brush soaking and soap blooming before I remembered to snap a pic so I improvised.

Back on nights again, but tomorrow I get to visit @BarberDave for a haircut.

See everyone posting various weight loss achievements lately is really inspiring me to get on that myself. My work schedule has been one of my biggest obstacles due to the 12 hr shifts and rotating days and nights. We've been working eating better for the most part but I'm sure I've probably been over doing it. Also need to get something going regularly exercise wise.

That being said I'm going to officially put out there that I am beginning this journey at 315lbs. My first goal is to hit 275. Eventually I want to see 225 which may or may not be my final goal depending how things look there.

Awesome post today! That rotating shift can be a real bummer at times, but can also be nice (no traffic at night). Also I am on my own weight loss journey. The hardest thing for me to quit is drinking sodas. I love the burn from them, but I definitely need to quit them. When I met my wife I was around 195 and nearly 5 years later I am pushing 270. 210 is my goal weight. Good luck on your journey and keep up the great reviews!

Awesome post today! That rotating shift can be a real bummer at times, but can also be nice (no traffic at night). Also I am on my own weight loss journey. The hardest thing for me to quit is drinking sodas. I love the burn from them, but I definitely need to quit them. When I met my wife I was around 195 and nearly 5 years later I am pushing 270. 210 is my goal weight. Good luck on your journey and keep up the great reviews!
Thanks! I gave up soda a couple weeks ago. and by soda i basically mean Dr. Pepper since that was pretty much the only one i drank. If you like the burn try some Good Earth Sweet and Spicy tea. It's great hot or iced and has a natural sweetness and nice spicy kick.

I haven't been under 200 since i graduated HS in 2007

1580277401537.png

we had a '20s themed prom and my dad thought it was clever to have my senior pic in the background lol. I have always had a dense build so i doubt i will ever be sub 200 and healthy but i think 225 could be pretty good.

Best of luck on your journey as well!

Great commitment Kyle. Soda is my weakness. (COKE) I do well for awhile and then think I can have 1 as a treat and before you know it, I'm chugging them again. They really make a difference when I quit them if I could just stay with it........Best Wishes for your success

Great goal, Kyle. I lost a bunch of weight some time ago, and still struggle, but it's worth it. Let us know how we can help.

That being said I'm going to officially put out there that I am beginning this journey at 315lbs. My first goal is to hit 275. Eventually I want to see 225 which may or may not be my final goal depending how things look there.
The hardest thing for me to quit is drinking sodas.

Way to go Kyle! I overcame the biggest hurdle in the entire process! You made the decision. I think you have set some good goals. It might take a bit...but they are obtainable. Just remember, while exercise has a lot of benefits and will aid you in weight loss, it's the day to day diet that will get you mostly to your goals. Do some research, pick something that you can stick with and enjoy and start off small or slow if you want!

In 2018 I lost my 70 pounds with mostly diet. The majority of that year, the only exercise I did was walking. Nothing strenuous or anything...just casual strolls. There is a saying...well...at least someone told me this...he might have made it up. But it makes sense. "You can't outrun the fork." Meaning...if you eat anything and everything...no amount of exercise will really help you.

I went from 330 to just under 260 (I think my lowest was 257). I was able to maintain the 260 until the wheels came of the wagon this past November and December. I gained back about 25 pounds...but I getting it going again. If you have any questions at all...I happy to answer them from my experiences. I incorporate a few different whole food approaches to diets. Anyway...let me know if you have questions.

On a different note...talking about Cokes and Sodas...I read something a while back..and as soon as I can find it I will post it here. But it stated something along the lines of the average American consumes something like 50 pounds of sugar annually from sodas alone. Again...I will find the article and post. But that is really crazy!

Looking forward to seeing your progress! Also, Good Earth Sweet and Spicy is downright awesome. I've had some in the cupboard for a couple years and it is my go-to tea.

Thanks guys!

Shave 16 happened but the picture didn't because i was in a hurry to get out the door for my haircut. Used the Insurgent of course and finished up with some Avon Leather. Also got to use my new Tech from a trade with @dkeester that arrived as i woke up. Loaded it with a GSB since i don't have any feathers to try in it and had a really smooth shave. at first i thought i was only DFS but the dry down ended up being a solid BBS.

Back