The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

uacowboy's razor rodeo

Since when do you need to chop wood in AZ ?
I've only ever chopped wood at a camp where we did retreats with my college group up in the mountains. We always used a splitting maul. This one just popped up in a random video suggestion and it looked so odd i had to check it out.

I've never seen a Chopper 1 axe before. It seems to perform well in the video. My concern would be the moving parts. It seems like they would be a weak point in the design that would break before the axe blade does. Knowing axes like I do, the design hasn't changed much form stone axes to flint axes honed to a fine edge to metal axes. It's one of those designs that really doesn't improve IMHO. My take on tools like a knife or axe is that the simpler design the better. If I were to enter a survival situation, I'd want a fixed blade knife and a mid-range axe. No folding knives or weird designed axes that are heavy to swing & carry. If I had a choice, it'd be my trusty tomahawk, my newly hung trail axe, and a fixed blade bowie knife.

I've never seen a Chopper 1 axe before. It seems to perform well in the video. My concern would be the moving parts. It seems like they would be a weak point in the design that would break before the axe blade does. Knowing axes like I do, the design hasn't changed much form stone axes to flint axes honed to a fine edge to metal axes. It's one of those designs that really doesn't improve IMHO. My take on tools like a knife or axe is that the simpler design the better. If I were to enter a survival situation, I'd want a fixed blade knife and a mid-range axe. No folding knives or weird designed axes that are heavy to swing & carry. If I had a choice, it'd be my trusty tomahawk, my newly hung trail axe, and a fixed blade bowie knife.
That's what I was thinking too. My guess is its intended to make splitting wood less tiring via the lever action from the little arms but I don't see it being useful for much else.

Those are gimmicky. They were a fad around here a long time ago. All the hardware stores were carrying them as the next greatest thing. Didn't take long for everyone to go back to a normal splitting maul. Too thick to dig in like an axe, and to light and awkward to hit like a maul. Ok in nice straight grained stuff, but around here most of the nice straight grained stuff goes to the mill. It's the crappy gnarly stuff you get to split for firewood.

I don't know how I'd fare in a zombie apocalypse @Greybeard57 I'm not really any good with knives or guns or anything, and I'm not real handy... I'd probably just be a burden.

20191216_151725.jpg
Did my DEvette shave vlog today and it is processing now. Had to totally recreate my intro/outro for my videos since i lost my video template when i got a new phone. I think i pretty much have it the same as before but there might be a slight difference. I did figure out how to back up that file though so that shouldn't be an issue in the future at least.

I don't think i got into it much in the video but Rock the Casbah is really nice. Not super strong scent wise but i like it a lot.

Last couple shaves
20191218_104709.jpg
20191220_041647.jpg

Gotta say, ToF is awesome. @Joe Hackett bravo on this one. AS has really good staying power too. I did a Cadre double application and I'm "That Guy" today. But I'm also pretty much the only person in my office today too so I'm not smoking anyone out. 😜

Been trying to get the lizard habitat project finished by years end and its looking good. Just a couple small things to finish on the inside before I can add the dirt and live plants so they can grow out before the dragon moves in.
20191219_184718.jpg
20191219_184815.jpg

I'll finish up the outside while the plants are acclimating and getting established.

I've been wanting to use ToF again myself!! I avoid it on days where I have meetings though.

Back