The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

uacowboy's razor rodeo

Nice shave with the Slim! I am a Fatboy fan, but I do like taking my Slim out on the road when traveling.

I use the Gillette Endurance gel sticks, works excellently for me! Cool Wave is my usual scent.

This is my first adjustable. I have never really like TTO razors much because of the bulky nature but i got this one because it's the same date code as my birth year/quarter. So far i am thinking it will for sure get some use. especially if i need a nice mild shave.

and i will have to give the endurance a go.

I'm using the Old Spice deodorants. The new manly lavender is pleasant and not overpowering by any stretch. It lasts all shift for me.

I had thought about trying that next time i needed to buy some but i generally have to switch brands for a while to when one stops working. it's super weird.

Yikes. Might be about time to see your PCP or a dermatologist. I'm sure it's a relatively common thing, but it's better to know that it's nothing.

i'm not too worried about it. It has happened pretty much since i started using deodorant. i've also known several people that have the same issue. no idea why though

Edit: i quick google search and it looks like this is actually really common and is similar to building up a tolerance to something.

Fair enough. I'll do some digging because I've heard of it too and I have no clue either. :unsure:🕵️‍♂️

Used Old Spice Endurance for years and years and all of a sudden I was getting chemical burns from it. Lots of people started having them if you google it.

I avoid solid sticks like the blade plague. They always clump up on me and it hurts like hell...on top of it being a PITA to wash off.

I avoid solid sticks like the blade plague. They always clump up on me and it hurts like hell...on top of it being a PITA to wash off.
That's why I liked the OS Endurance but haven't found an alternative yet.......................................that won't burn me. I hate the gel goops

I stopped using regular antiperspirants about a year and a half ago. Started reading about the potential health issues associated with aluminum and decided I wanted to change. It also started to make sense to me that stopping a natural bodily function might not be all that healthy. So I decided to switch to something a little more natural. I tried the Thai Crystals for a brief moment...but ended up getting arm pit rashes almost immediately. Not only rashes...but painful rashes at that. Stopped using those super quick. I tried the Tom's deodorant and that worked well for a couple of weeks, but started getting a rash with this stuff too. I determined that my body isn't a big fan of baking soda. This is a pretty common thing. I tried a couple other deodorants and they worked okay...but I found that they wouldn't get me through a day and certainly wouldn't get me through a day if I worked out at lunch. Then I tried Lume:

By the way...if you get a chance...check out the video about half way down the page. It's absolutely HI-Larious!!! Anyway, tried this stuff and for me...I believe this stuff actually works. I am not going to say that there won't be times (albeit very rare) that sometime may be amiss. But in my experience...this stuff works. It's not cheap...I will admit. But I have m=been using Lume for about a year now and I am only half way through my second tube. So the stuff lasts a while. My wife had the applicator that looks like a regular deodorant, and I tried that a couple of times. But I use the tube for two reasons. First of all, if you just apply it from the applicator, it won't get into your pits like you need it to. Thus making it less effective. Also, the tube allows you to use the correct amount that you need. A little dab on the tip of the finger, rub it into your freshly showered pits...and all will be well for the day. It says it works for up to 72 hours...and it will if you basically don't leave the house all day. But if you are out and about or at work...do everyone a favor and use it everyday.

One more thing. In my experience, and honestly this is with deodorants and antiperspirants...every now and then I have to change it up a bit. For some reason, after a period of use, my body says, "let's try something different." So I switch it up for a week or two, then go back, and everything is less stinky again!

Also...if you go the natural route...don't be surprised if for a week or so you go through a detox period and you might smell like "hot metal and B.O." (I stole this from a blog) Anyway...sorry to hijack your thread!

I stopped using regular antiperspirants about a year and a half ago. Started reading about the potential health issues associated with aluminum and decided I wanted to change. It also started to make sense to me that stopping a natural bodily function might not be all that healthy. So I decided to switch to something a little more natural. I tried the Thai Crystals for a brief moment...but ended up getting arm pit rashes almost immediately. Not only rashes...but painful rashes at that. Stopped using those super quick. I tried the Tom's deodorant and that worked well for a couple of weeks, but started getting a rash with this stuff too. I determined that my body isn't a big fan of baking soda. This is a pretty common thing. I tried a couple other deodorants and they worked okay...but I found that they wouldn't get me through a day and certainly wouldn't get me through a day if I worked out at lunch. Then I tried Lume:

By the way...if you get a chance...check out the video about half way down the page. It's absolutely HI-Larious!!! Anyway, tried this stuff and for me...I believe this stuff actually works. I am not going to say that there won't be times (albeit very rare) that sometime may be amiss. But in my experience...this stuff works. It's not cheap...I will admit. But I have m=been using Lume for about a year now and I am only half way through my second tube. So the stuff lasts a while. My wife had the applicator that looks like a regular deodorant, and I tried that a couple of times. But I use the tube for two reasons. First of all, if you just apply it from the applicator, it won't get into your pits like you need it to. Thus making it less effective. Also, the tube allows you to use the correct amount that you need. A little dab on the tip of the finger, rub it into your freshly showered pits...and all will be well for the day. It says it works for up to 72 hours...and it will if you basically don't leave the house all day. But if you are out and about or at work...do everyone a favor and use it everyday.

One more thing. In my experience, and honestly this is with deodorants and antiperspirants...every now and then I have to change it up a bit. For some reason, after a period of use, my body says, "let's try something different." So I switch it up for a week or two, then go back, and everything is less stinky again!

Also...if you go the natural route...don't be surprised if for a week or so you go through a detox period and you might smell like "hot metal and B.O." (I stole this from a blog) Anyway...sorry to hijack your thread!
thanks Don. I will take a look for sure.

SOTD 8.18.19

Gillette Slim Adjustable setting 6
GSB (2)
Dr. Jon's Big Green Monster
Thayers Coconut Water
Aqua Velva Ice Blue

20190818_041236.jpg

Well today was the final use of the BGM. After todays shave there were a few small bits left but not enough for another shave. I'll miss the scent but the base not so much. The slim on 6 was still super mild but much more efficient. Reached BBS with my normal amount of cleanup and no drama.

My brain is still not awake so it must be time for coffee. Have a great Sunday Cadre

SOTD 8.19.19

Gillette Single Ring
GSB (2)
TSC 1st Anniversary brush "Talon"
CBL Iron Throne
Thayers Coconut Water
Old Spice

20190819_042532.jpg

It was a busy day today at work and I totally forgot to post my shave this morning. Forgot it was mystic water week this morning and used Iron Throne but hey it's a great soap. The razor however was once again just not good for me. I took a close look at it and I think I understand why it feels so aggressive even though its practically laying directly on the base plate. There is a rather abrupt change in angle from the cap to the blade itself. this difference in angle is more flat that the cap and so it makes the blade still out a bit and I'm convinced that is why hitting the perfect angle is so difficult. There is also a slight arch from one side to the other going along the blade edge and that may or may not play into it as well. Either way I stopped at a DFS today and I am probably not going to try this razor again since I have plenty other options that I do enjoy.

In other new this was reported to me at the end of the day today.
20190819_165237.jpg
I have no idea how this happened as there was no vehicle at the scene. The person who sent the picture called about a line down which is the phone line. And when the were trying to describe the pole I asked if she was able to send a pic. Even more crazy is we didn't even have an outage from this!

SOTD 8.20.19

Schick J2 Injector
Schick blade (18)
Razor Rock 400
Mystic Water Prospect Creek
Thayers Coconut Water
Avon Clint

20190820_061842.jpg

A very good shave was had today. The 'jectah was a nice and easy razor to get me a comfortable BBS+. This is the first of thec2 Mystic Water soaps I have. I don't remember the scent notes but I get a nice, slightly earthy, mint from it with a very nice cooling effect from the menthol. My face is feeling great and with the Clint I'm smelling great.

Back