The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

uacowboy's razor rodeo

SOTD 8.12.19

Feather SS clone
Feather pro (2)
TSC 1st anniversary brush "Talon"
CBL Breakfast Blend
Thayers Coconut Water
Clubman Reserve Whiskey Woods

20190812_042153.jpg

Been a busy morning at the office but here's my shave. It was time for a go with the Feather SS clone from the pass around. It took down a couple days growth no problem for a smooth and easy BBS shave. I will say however that I do not like this razor. Coming from a traditional straight razor point of view the tang is way to long. Makes holding the razor feel super awkward. The scales around the pivot are also a bit wider than is comfortable. Add to that the balance being very much towards the scales and it just feels odd for the whole shave. I did get the pivot tightened up a bit so it isn't floppy but still not as snug as it should be. I'm thinking it's something about the construction of it.

Between the two I'd have to say I very much prefer the kai clone. It's better balanced and feels better to me overall.

SOTD 8.15.19

Gillette model 1904
GSB (1)
Ever Ready w/ two band badger
Dr. Jon's Big Green Monster
Thayers Coconut water
Stirling Lime with menthol

20190815_134243.jpg

Decided to give the 1904 a try today. Honestly I'm not a fan so far. It seemed like I just couldn't get the angle right. It would go from scraping to not cutting at all with only a tiny range where the angle was comfortable. I did get a really good shave but i did get a fair amount of irritation. I'll have to try again with a different soap.

In other news I went and saw @HandleBarberDave today for a haircut before work and he asked me to pass along that he may be making an appearance this weekend.

SOTD 8.15.19

Gillette model 1904
GSB (1)
Ever Ready w/ two band badger
Thayers Coconut water
Stirling Lime with menthol

View attachment 7519

Decided to give the 1904 a try today. Honestly I'm not a fan so far. It seemed like I just couldn't get the angle right. It would go from scraping to not cutting at all with only a tiny range where the angle was comfortable. I did get a really good shave but i did get a fair amount of irritation. I'll have to try again with a different soap.

In other news I went and saw @HandleBarberDave today for a haircut before work and he asked me to pass along that he may be making an appearance this weekend.
Sure is a looker at least! Hope you get it figured out!

Thanks for spying on Dave for us! :ROFLMAO:

ok i think i remember seeing something there now but didn't pay close attention. that tooth on the top left looks a bit bent. I think mine has a similar bend.

ok i think i remember seeing something there now but didn't pay close attention. that tooth on the top left looks a bit bent. I think mine has a similar bend.
They tended to get them from clanking around carelessly. Doesn't effect shave and trying to straighten can end in it coming off so I leave it. 👍

Last edited:
It's weird not seeing an open blade and it sucks that your uhhhhh 1920 isn't super great for you, but at least you're not trying out for the Communist Olympics.

It's weird not seeing an open blade and it sucks that your uhhhhh 1920 isn't super great for you, but at least you're not trying out for the Communist Olympics.
The design was patented in 1904(on Nov. 15th according to the markings) but this one was made in 1920, and What is the point in trying out for something when you know that everyone loses equally?

SOTD 8.17.19

Gillette Slim Adjustable on 4
GSB (1)
TSC 1st Anniversary brush "Talon"
Thayers Coconut Water
Florida Water

20190817_041515.jpg

First use of the slim today and it was a much better first outing than the 1904(single ring? If anyone can explain that one I'd appreciate it). Went with setting 4 today and it had pretty much zero blade feel but did lack the efficiency I'd prefer. I'll use it again tomorrow on 6 and see how that feels. I did get a solid BBS but it required a decent amount of clean up.

On a different note. I found myself needing to change deodorants because what I had been using (Old Spice timber) stopped working. This is something that seems to happen every couple years or so. No clue why. Anyway I decided to give Tom's a try and so far it is working we but I think there is a potential issue. The scent is actually really nice but the strength of it is like a solid cologne that has an antiperspirant in it. Scent lasts easily all day but I'm worried about it messing with any other scent I decide to put on. What are you guys using and do you prefer an unscented deodorant or just something mild?

Nice shave with the Slim! I am a Fatboy fan, but I do like taking my Slim out on the road when traveling.

What are you guys using and do you prefer an unscented deodorant or just something mild?
I use the Gillette Endurance gel sticks, works excellently for me! Cool Wave is my usual scent.

I'm using the Old Spice deodorants. The new manly lavender is pleasant and not overpowering by any stretch. It lasts all shift for me.

Back