The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

uacowboy's razor rodeo

Good stuff Kyle. I love Tabac but have never even tried to attempt the Quadra pod urine challenge. My missus has asthma and Special Reserve Clubman set her off I would hate to think what the Veg would do.

That may be the only good reason I've heard to not try it but it really isn't that bad. Even the first time I tried it and was rejected by it it wasn't that bad.

Good stuff Kyle! What’s the scent like on the Williamette Woods?
Woodsy for sure but the sample at least was very light. Probably in the pine type scents. I'd have to go smell it again to give better details. I'll try to do that in the morning.

SOTD 4/9/19

Gem 1912 w/Gem blade (?) Minus the handle
??? Watch my video to find out
Chambers El Guapo
WH
Avon Clint
DSC Blueprint Library Sandalwood and Vetiver Edt sample

Did a double stunt shave today. Revisited the alt brush and did the lost handle.
Both went pretty well and I am actually BBS. Video will be up soon In my vlog thread.

20190409_140156.jpg

SOTD 4/10/19

Schick J2 injector w/Schick blade(4)
Talon, TSC 1st anniversary brush by Eric Sorrentino
Dr. Jon Big Green Monster
WH
Osage Rub

Had to do a quick shave today to get some stuff done before work. Hadn't used BGM in a while and man did I miss this scent. I can see the bottom of the tin on this one so I will probably be ordering a replacement soon unless I see a similar scent in a tallow soap somewhere. After getting used to CBL soaps lately this, while still a favorite, just doesn't compare in the overall experience.

Got my 3 pass BBS done in under 10 minutes without rushing and no damage and an awesome finish with the Osage Rub.

I did try a sample of the DSC Edt as well. Meyer Lemmon and moss but it pretty much disappeared after about 10 min and all I smell is osage.20190410_131229.jpg

Funny how our soap expectations change after using better ones, but we want the scents of the inferior. DCS edt ?
indeed. dollar shave club. They threw some single use samples into my wife's last shipment of carts and she handed them off to me. So far nothing very existing in my opinion there were six total and i have tried 3 now. all have been very light and are probably intended as unisex but i haven't looked into them at all so idk.

I am being so picky on soaps lately. Hard to justify other soaps. I have a feeling in the near future we will see more smaller artisans close shop.

SOTD 4/11/19

Blackland Vector w/ Schick Proline(1)
Ever Ready w/ two band badger
CBL Ghost Lime
WH
Florida Water

Vector came in before my shave today so I called an audible and recorded my first use with it.

Shave was great. Did take a small bit of damage but that was on me. Video is uploading now and will be posted soon. 20190411_154208.jpg

SOTD 4/13/19

Blackland Vector w/ Schick Proline (2)
Razor Rock 400
WSP Gaelic Tweed
WH
Avon Deep Woods

Use 2 of the Vector today after a day of repainting my daughter's room. Once again a really good shave. Took down 2 days of growth no problem. I'm going to try one of the feather pro blades on Monday I think.

The Gaelic Tweed was also from this pass around box and I gotta say I really like it. Hadn't tried one of these scents before and I wish I had sooner. Might have to get my hands on a couple other versions and figure out which one I want a full tub of.

20190413_170843.jpg

Have you been convinced to buy one yet?
Actually no. Unless things change with the feather I am certain I won't be. Don't get me wrong, the shaves are great, but I feel like the head is just a bit to wide for me. That's not the vectors fault as it is I'm sure the same as other AC style razors in that regard but with the way my growth patterns are i find myself wanting to use a similar angle of attack as i would with a DE or even a Gem but it is just long enough i should use an approach that is closer to that of a straight.

This is the first AC style razor i have ever tried and it may very well be the last accept maybe one of the feather kamis eventually.

Interesting thoughts. I would have figured you’d love it; similar to a GEM but way more maneuverable and more cutting surface.

Doesn't surprise me. The width is the biggest thing for someone to get used to or a feel for and does at times effect the angle of attack on a stroke. Nice shave Kyle

Thanks for the thoughts Kyle! I think the width might be a concern of mine also. I did try the Brass General...and that was okay. So maybe this will work for me...who knows!

Interesting thoughts. I would have figured you’d love it; similar to a GEM but way more maneuverable and more cutting surface.
The extra cutting surface is nice but it just doesn't get along with the contours of my face with how I need it to move I guess. It really comes down to the injector showing it up hands down. At least for me.
Doesn't surprise me. The width is the biggest thing for someone to get used to or a feel for and does at times effect the angle of attack on a stroke. Nice shave Kyle
Thanks Dave that's pretty much it.
Thanks for the thoughts Kyle! I think the width might be a concern of mine also. I did try the Brass General...and that was okay. So maybe this will work for me...who knows!
I wish you luck. I fully understand why its getting great reviews. Just one of those ymmv things.

Back