The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

uacowboy's razor rodeo

SOTD 1/15/19

Micro Touch One w/ Voskhod (4)
Ever Ready w/ 2 band badger
CFG Summer Storm
WH
Old Spice Classic
EdC Tabac

Decided to use the MTO today with the Voskhod to get and idea of how it compares to the Yuma while it was still fresh in my mind. To me the Yuma was significantly more mild and less efficient but both gave me very close shaves and no irritation or fluid loss.

Also decided to pull out CV th he Tabac EdC today.

Got the shave on video today so keep an eye out for that soon.

My dad bought a Micro Touch about a year ago, used it once and gave it to me when he found out I was getting away from carts. I used it once and didn’t like it much either, but I was also still treating a DE like a cart by using way too much pressure and the wrong angle. I should probably revisit it...

My dad bought a Micro Touch about a year ago, used it once and gave it to me when he found out I was getting away from carts. I used it once and didn’t like it much either, but I was also still treating a DE like a cart by using way too much pressure and the wrong angle. I should probably revisit it...

Go for it. While i have no doubt that the more popular/expensive razors totally eclipse it, the MTO gets the job done.

SOTD 1/16/19

George wostenholm 8/8
Vie long horse hair brush?
CFG Summer Storm
WH
CFG Summer Storm AS

back to a straight today and man is the difference shocking. Went a little too aggressive at first and didnt pay enough attention to my blade angle so my face is a bit raw. After the Voskhod blades I my straight felt almost overly sharp. Ended up BBS above the jaw and DFS below. Didn't want to chase it after the rough start. Also was running on less than an optimal amount of sleep due to the meeting this morning.

So on this brush, I have had it for a couple years and I picked it up on Ebay new as a second but I gotta wonder if its not just a knockoff. It was pretty cheap and while I know it's a second the finish quality is pretty poor. It does do a good job whipping up a lather and is very soft but also very floppy.

The meeting this morning went well and while I am still getting used to the new logo I think I kinda like it. The old one was almost as old as I am I think so the new one has a much more modern style.

Old
new

New logo is definitely different. Very clean, I like it, but as will happen, it’s also very sterile. Doesn’t feel as “home grown” as the old.

New logo is definitely different. Very clean, I like it, but as will happen, it’s also very sterile. Doesn’t feel as “home grown” as the old.

yeah. especially since the old one has been around so long. Sounds like they did a lot of surveys and footwork before they decided on it.

Nice Nee Logo. Def better than the old.

That is a nice looking handle. Not sure if they do a knock off. Vie-Long brushes are pretty reasonable priced for the quality you get.

Nice Nee Logo. Def better than the old. \n\nThat is a nice looking handle. Not sure if they do a knock off. Vie-Long brushes are pretty reasonable priced for the quality you get.
\n\nIt has a spot with a knot in the wood that is slightly cracked open which is the reason it would be a second i assume but it just looked like they were far enough along to still sell it but didn\'t put much effort into making it as nice as it could have otherwise been, even with a flaw.\n\nWhen i am making razor scales i always try and give them the best possible finish i can unless something goes catastrophically wrong and they are totally unusable. Of course they are a company and i am just doing my hobby but it\'s still just one of those things that irks me to see sometimes.

SOTD 1/17/19

AoS Dovo SR
Pilson w/ TGN synth
CFG Summer Storm (12)
WH
CFG Summer Storm AS

Better shave today than yesterday but the lather just wouldn't stay wet. Pretty sure I overloaded and in combination with the synth brush it made a sloppy mess of the handle but the soap never got enough hydration. Still managed a mostly BBS with one area that was DFS under the jaw. Last night shift tonight. On days next week. Sounds like we have a friend coming down from Phoenix on Saturday so that should be a fun day.

Morning all, day off and up with coffee at 5 here.........................wish I could sleep later............

I here you Kyle, I much prefer time to get rolling if at all possible

Back