The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Tom's Journal about Shaving and other good stuff

So two weeks ago, I got busy and actually stopped shaving. Now the wife likes the way it looks and asked if I can grow it out. It coincides with Movember so I said why not. I do have to tame the neck area since it gets a bit out of hand though. Hopefully Ill survive by end of the month. And I will NOT take requests to shave with an ax. I aint crazy like Eric. LOL

Here are some pics from my life. Just lifestyle pics. A day at the Winter Village at Bryant Park. And a re-grand opening at my tailor's shop (Decarlo's Bespoke).

Great update and photos Tom!

Congrats on your grand re-opening! Best wishes for success!

Welcome back Tom! There’s a No Shave November thread around here somewhere. I’m in the same boat. Growing it out, but have to shave the neck!

Nice hat!
1f44d.png

Wow it's been about a month since my last post.

So France was amazing. Such a different vibe compared to the US. Spent a week in the Provence area, mainly in Nice. And a week in Paris. Biggest thing to note is that almost all pharmacies sell wet shaving items which is pretty cool. Some have more than others but it is nice to know you can pick up supplies easily. You just wont always find the name brand products we are accustomed to.

Another thing to note is that scooter and motorcycle life is real. Every other vehicle is a bike which is really cool. We even bought some biking gear as our souvenirs.

I wont bore you with the summary and instead make you guys look at some pics.

Lastly, I will note that I visited the imfamous Planete Rasior, the Pasteurs Pharmacy of Europe. The wet shave game is real and presented very nicely. If you ever gone to Pasteurs, its really compact. The only caveat to Planete Rasior is that the price tag is at a premium and online is cheaper. Still worth the visit and oogle at everything. I did end up getting a haircut there though. Pretty sweet.

Withiut further ado....

WOW, thanks for sharing

Very cool photo summary!

Great Pics, looks like an awesome time! And Welcome Back!

Great stuff Tom; awesome photos! Thanks for putting these up!

Looks like a great trip!

How many jars of MdC did you bring back?
1f60e.png

Thanks guys! It was definitely a fun trip. MdC was actually overpriced in the store unfortunately. So after doing the calculations, it's cheaper to purchase directly from MdC website. I could have ordered online and shipped directly to the hotel. I opted not to do so since my wife would look at me funny. It actually ended up working out since we maxed out luggage check in weight limit. So a jar of MdC would have put me overweight.

Thanks guys! It was definitely a fun trip. MdC was actually overpriced in the store unfortunately. So after doing the calculations, it's cheaper to purchase directly from MdC website. I could have ordered online and shipped directly to the hotel. I opted not to do so since my wife would look at me funny. It actually ended up working out since we maxed out luggage check in weight limit. So a jar of MdC would have put me overweight.
At least you gave it a shot!

Over the weekend, I had the time to shave with a straight in a VERY VERY long time. If I had to guess, probably over 6+ months. It is like riding a bicycle and was able to get a very good shave. Definitely BBS or just a notch below. I used the Filarmonica 12 which still had a pretty good edge. Just a bit of stropping on the Kanayama (which I realized gets underutilized in the den... a shame I know). The edge was definitely a B+ and very serviceable. I did get a small nick on my chin due to a bump but easily dealt with.

Not shown in the picture, I went with the defunct Strop Shoppe Russian Tea soap. It was my first love with a soap and I hope that I will get a chance to get another tub if this one is ever 3017'ed. A most reliable soap in all regards. Since the shave game has evolved, this is still a Tier 1 to me, but just a notch below the best of the best. Nonetheless, I love it. Paired with my beautiful Paladin brush, man it's like heaven on my face. Do you need to spend the dollars on such a brush? Probably not. Is it the best? That is very subjective, but I really enjoy it. It feels like luxury - granted the SV brush felt more luxurious but the knot was too big for hands(28 mm..... 26 mm hits the perfect spot for me.

One observation for my new cologne - it doesn't have as much staying power than I would want, but the base notes do linger just enough that I get whiffs of it. I feel like this also happens with the beloved Terres d'Hermes EdT. I can't wait til I can get the parfum strength of my cologne though, but that will have to wait til I get to at least 25% left. If you haven't explored the frag section, here is my review of the experience:
https://www.theshavingcadre.com/post/making-my-own-frag-at-galimard-in-grasse-france-9943176?pid=1306464302

Bingle season is coming up and I think I got a few unique items. So let's hope it all works out. On a personal note, the wife and I agreed that I have too many things (LOL!) that I don't need a Christmas gift. I kindof agree with her this time as well.

On parting notes, I decided to hop on the old site. Looks like it's still going well but definitely a different feel since i visited the CEC thread and got a little sad. The biggest change I noticed is that the Journal's aren't as frequent either. A shame how things ended up there but glad to be here. I feel like the only thing that is worth checking out is the BST once in awhile. The only regret I have is partaking in their yearly auction since I know that goes to a good cause.

Good read Tom. I am sure it felt nice to use the straight again. We are happy to have you here!

Looks like an awesome trip. If you need a touch-up on a straight, send one out to me. I've got a new (to me) Narutaki finisher since the last ones I did for you on my little Ozuku. I think you'll like the edges from it.

Just caught up on the journal Tom and all I can say is WOW!!! I feel like instead of a vacation you were on actual adventures! Absolutely beautiful pics...both foreign and domestic!

I completely agree with you on the other place too...just too bad how things had to turn out.

Back