The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Tom's Journal about Shaving and other good stuff

Alright ya’ll let’s see you load up the BST!

So......
This past week my wife complained that our chef knife was dull. Over the weekend, I finally got time to sharpen it. Keep in mind that this is my first time sharpening a chef knife. It was quite an experience. I first tested the knife with the paper test and could barely get an inch. Oh man, this thing was dull. What kind of knife is it? It is Tojiro DP Santoku 6.7".

The edge has lasted awhile and this has been part of the kitchen for probably 3 years and definitely needed a refresh. If you are familiar with my history, I just didn't want to spend so much time sharpening my straights and inevitable leaned towards my SE razor for my shaves. This left so many razors neglected hence why I went from 40+ straights to a mere 6 now.

I can easily send this out to Korin (This is like the Pasteur's Pharmacy for some Japanese knives) for sharpening since they are a few blocks away from my office. However, I stared at my King 1K and my coticule and said why not. If I had a lower stone, I would have started on a lower grit to make sure the impurities were gone a lot easier. I know coticules and chef knives aren't as common but after reading a few outside threads, it is definitely doable so I just went with it.

After spending a good time on the king, I got a decent bevel. I haven't used the coticule in over a year so this was challenging. And with knives, you need to lift the blade a few degrees to get the right angle, this sharpening a bit different than a razor where you just need to lay it flat with or without a piece of tape. Keeping that angle took some time. I went thru three degrees of dilution, followed with water, then some soapy water. Did I end up going finer than I would have liked? Maybe.... I don't know how the edge will hold up over the long run but now I can cut a piece of paper with very minimal tugging and can get thru 1/2 to 3/4 with the knife. I haven't cut anything yet but will be using it tonight so time will tell.

So after the knife was done, I went to my razor collection and took out my Ern Ator. The edge was acceptable condition but not that great at chopping my leg arms (unfortunately my arm hairs are too thin and isn't a good indicator for me). I did a full coticule progression and spent a good time stropping. Ended with something like an HHT3 for context. Not too shabby.

Actually went to shave with the Ator this morning. The edge was very comfortable. German steel + coticule = sharp and smooth edge. I ended up with a DFS+ shave and CCS+ on the neck/jaw line area. I know I can step up the shave a notch but didn't want to push myself since I haven't shaved with my own edge in quite some time. Better be safe than sorry, right? If y'all are interested, I went with the SV Manna di Sicilia combo today.

Maybe I'll get into honing again, maybe not. But I am glad I had the stones to work with. I will say that I sortof miss my old JNAT and naguras while working on the chef knife and razor.

So I am on a work trip in South Jersey for a few days and kept my go to travel kit with me.
Maggards synth brush
Lord L6 with an Astra SP
Palmolive shave stick

This combo has treated me well and a typical effortless DFS. The razor is mild like a tech and its actually my first DE ever. Still keeping up strong. I always forget how solid the Palmolive soap is. Slickness and residual slickness is near top performance. The scent is mild but pleasant. It is stupid easy to build a lather. No nonsense and for only a few bucks. And best of all it is so budget friendly. Granted the whole rig can be obtained for like $20ish.

The AS and EdT samples were giving to me via PIF and has served me well as an easy travel size. It is a nice alternative to my usual.

So for dinner, I didn't go out with anybody from my team and found a wonderful French bistro. Such a random place since the chef used to be an executive chef at a NYC Michelin starred restaurant. Got to talk to him for a bit and learned more about the restaurant biz and it is tough man. Fortunately for me, I got to enjoy a lovely dinner without the NYC prices that reminded me of France. Would definitely come again if the opportunity arises. Baked Saint Andre cheese, escargot, mussels, and roasted vegetables. Here are some pictures.

Looks like you had the place to yourselves! Great looking fare!

If anyone asks, I dare say your “cheap” shave set helped enable that lovely evening.
1f602.png

I would say a good rule is never photographing your food alive and close up.

Uh ... I am uncultured. Too many mammals to eat instead of bugs. But what do I know.

Snails are not bugs, they are molluscs and therefore related to clams, oysters, octopus, and squid. That’s a tasty group to be in!

If I told you that I have only used one DE razor, the same soap, the same brush for 10 months, would you believe me?

I only shave once a week if that nowadays.

Still got a lot of stuff packed up since we moved out of Brooklyn.

I am sure there is a lot catching up to do.

Back