The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Tom's Journal about Shaving and other good stuff

Tom,

Have not had a chance to meet. Enjoyed the journal and looks like you had an amazing trip in France. Though please tell me of this NYC bespoke shop.

Good read Tom. I am sure it felt nice to use the straight again. We are happy to have you here!

Ditto buddy. A lot of times I get more updates from Facebook or Instagram but coming here is different.

Whoa, whoa, whoa! That's no way to talk.....

HAHAHA If I went and got all the things I wanted, I'd be broke and need to win the Powerball.

Looks like an awesome trip. If you need a touch-up on a straight, send one out to me. I've got a new (to me) Narutaki finisher since the last ones I did for you on my little Ozuku. I think you'll like the edges from it.

Oh man.... So tempting. I may take you up on it at some time. I haven't looked at your thread and did a binge read from summer til now. Wow your stuff looks crazy good. I had a question since you typical use 5160. How does the edge last especially for your kitchen knives? And have you used other steel like carbon steel or vg10? It is always fascinating reading about this.

Just caught up on the journal Tom and all I can say is WOW!!! I feel like instead of a vacation you were on actual adventures! Absolutely beautiful pics...both foreign and domestic!

I completely agree with you on the other place too...just too bad how things had to turn out.

Thanks man! Feels like a dream and went by so quickly. I wish I could take a sabbatical and just travel for months at a time. If only...

Good shave thoughts Tom! Nice tree deco!
\n\nThanks man! It is all the wife\'s doing. She wanted to go with a white Christmas tree and it worked out great. We did pick up some special ornaments from Paris during our trip. Will have to go thru the phone to find the pics but will attach. They are a very cool shop. \n\n[URL="https://theshavingcadre.com/XF/data/attachments/8/8544-f073c57ad24a71a3929abaa564dc9d38.jpg"][/url] [URL="https://theshavingcadre.com/XF/data/attachments/8/8544-f073c57ad24a71a3929abaa564dc9d38.jpg"][/url] [URL="https://theshavingcadre.com/XF/data/attachments/8/8544-f073c57ad24a71a3929abaa564dc9d38.jpg"][/url] \n\n
Tom,\n\nHave not had a chance to meet. Enjoyed the journal and looks like you had an amazing trip in France. Though please tell me of this NYC bespoke shop.
\n\nThanks man! Happy to meet you as well. Hmmm bespoke shop so you must be referring to my earlier posts. So there is David Reeves and he is the real deal. Modern flair and can do the classics. It will cost a pretty penny though. Think $3-5K for a suit depending on fabric. He has a vast clientele and highly regarded at styleforum, one of the prominent clothing forums. If you want a almost bespoke and looking for something more traditional (think 1960\'s, Ivy, Trad), there is Martin Greenfield (bigger company, bigger brand - used to make Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece line until BB bought out Southwick\'s operations) and Paul Winston (popularly known for their ivy trad Chipp line where he was one of JFK\'s personal tailors - unfortunately his operation is a lot smaller and may be retiring soon). If you enjoy vintage fabrics and a flair for a bit outgoing style, I would highly recommend DeCarlos Bespoke shop in Jersey City. I use him to tailor my suits but I cannot afford his bespoke pricing though. I got quoted $2500 for a bespoke sportscoat made from the finest cashmere 1.5 year. If only I had that expendable cash......<br/><br/>

Oh man.... So tempting. I may take you up on it at some time. I haven't looked at your thread and did a binge read from summer til now. Wow your stuff looks crazy good. I had a question since you typical use 5160. How does the edge last especially for your kitchen knives? And have you used other steel like carbon steel or vg10? It is always fascinating reading about this.

Feel free to take me up on it any time.
I appreciate the kind words.
I made a video just for you when you asked me about the edges some time ago. A lot has been going on there so you may have missed it. I'll post it again so you can see it if you missed it.

I'll post it in my hobby thread along with some better answers to your questions. I think the guys would be ok because it's answers on alloys and such, but it also has references to my stuff I'm making. I don't want to be out of line at all, so I'll keep it all there to be safe.

So I just got back from a holiday party in Boston. I just found out of my tech leads is a wet shaver. He doesn't have the AD like the rest of us where he has one razor, a brush, and a bunch of blades. Unfortunately, the convo didn't last long since there were a lot of folks. But it is good to find a fellow wet shaver. I assume he has a DE from AoS and he uses a badger brush. May need to send him an AD package at some point LOL

So this morning, I was looking at the den. I saw a soap I haven't used in months (which is a shame). This was a PIF given by cvargo. The Beehive Crisp Alpine Stream - it is definitely more of a spring and summer time soap to me but I decided to use it anyway. The scent and performance is top notch. It is a bummer I have a long rotation where it can get lost in herd sometimes. I paired it with another summery scent: the L'Occitane Verdon - it is more of a minty, citrus aqua scent. I feel like the scent doesn't last on me too long but it is very pleasant. Now just catching up on some things and waiting for the holidays.

Have a good one cadre!

All caught up, Tom. Great stuff! Nice photos, too. That frag class you took in France sounds most interesting.

That Beehive soap is great stuff. Some of the best stuff I've used! Shame it doesn't get talked about more.

Pretty Well done does not mean absolutely finished. I chose my wording very purposefully.

?

Ah, but CBL was the only exception! Just joshin ya, you do what you want of course. I just had to use it at least once before it hits the delete bin... or will it? ?

Enjoying the weekend and work is almost dead and quiet which is nice. I tried the CBL Leather and Lavender. Oh man what an intriguing scent. It can start of strong but it is very nice. The new formula is great. Reminds me of all the characteristics that I like from various companies.

A rabbit hole of soap awaits when the opportunity arises.

On a more sadder note, a purge of some items are underway in the den. These sales will NOT be part of the vader though. Dont worry guys, I still have plenty of gear left. ?

Is this a mandatory purge conducted by the wife? Should we all be worried? You know how the pheromones work with the SWMBOs...and they travel world wide, so none of us are safe! Is the world going to end? Is this the SHAVEPOCOLYPSE!!!!

Nothing sad about a purge, Tom. I need to get rid of a ton of shaving stuff that I just don't use that much anymore, if at all.

Back