The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Tom's Journal about Shaving and other good stuff

So like I said…. Haven’t been shaving much but been busy living in upstate NY. I moved out of Brooklyn in January and it has been the adventure.

Tried loading some pics from Tapatalk but didn’t work well. Any suggestions?

Guess this is what happened when you move into the woods and live on 6 acres of land and don’t have to go into the office.
Letting yourself go?
summer-fun-bearded-guy-park-forest-bearded-hipster-crazy-bearded-man-natural-environment-hipster-long-beard-summer-fun-154516537.jpg

So my shave set up has not changed for the past year.
A muhle r30-something. At the time it was one of the more aggressive DE shavers.
An astra blade since I have a lot of them
An old and trusty AoS sandalwood soap
A maggard $10 synth brush

I only bring this up today because for sure reason I got a better than usual lather. Maybe I loaded up a few seconds longer or added just the ideal amount of water. I knew this one was gonna be good.

Needless to say, no alum sting and left with a solid DFS. So no complaints.

On the personal front, like most folks this year has been interesting. Doesn’t feel like the holiday season at all. The original plan was to do Christmas brunch in the city with family but that got thrown out the window. So we will keep it low key. Due to our reno, we opted not to put up a tree this year either. At least we can keep some of our tradition like watching home alone 1 and 2. I am glad that I’m participating in the ruldolph exchange. It’s def been entertaining planning and seeing the shenanigan in the thread.

I agree…the holiday seasons seem less and less like themselves over the years. Or maybe it’s just part of getting older lol 😫

Anyway. Merry Christmas, hope you can enjoy some of it at least!

The other day I did my first shave of the year. I busted out my Xmas gift from @CVargo. Used the CBL spa soap and AS combo. I must say that @CBLindsay makes a great soap. I’ve been using the deadstock AoS sandalwood soap for the past year and Chris’s soap pretty much blows it out of the water from a scent, lather, slickness standpoint. Like the name says, it definitely smells like a fancy spa. If your SO wants to steal a soap, this may be the one she takes from you. Chad nailed the gift because I am a night shaver. And the spa scent is truly a wonderful way to end the nightly routine and call it a day.

Oh the shave? It was a DFS+. Kept the Muhle going strong with an astra blade. Nothing fancy. I should try shaving with one of my straights though. It’s been over a year and I am sure the edges need some loving. Still got my coticule set but no strop though. So I may be in the market for one in the future.

So since I’m partaking in the gift exchange, I thought I would give a quick run down if things going on in my wife.

Shaving wise it is very boring and that is totally fine by me. I use the general razor with some CBL soap and a synth brush. I may use one of my badger brushes when I feel like it. I scaled back quite a bit but still have a lot of items. Unfortunately, they don’t get used and just there. I should slim it down more but who knows. Maybe one day I’ll change it up.

I live in NJ and have a place in the Western Catskills NY that we got during the pandemic. It was great to be away from city life for a bit.

2023 has been a roller coaster ride for me though. Got laid off for the first time ever which was strange. Got a heart attack in may and now have four stents (2 in the right, 2 in the left). Recovery has been great but I’m on a lot of meds. Still diabetic which sucks bc I love food. Have a sweet tooth though LOL. When at the NY house, love to grill on my weber performer. Was thinking about upgrading to the 26 but doesn’t make any sense for me. Fortunately my A1C numbers are trending in the right direction.

Biggest thing for me though is having my son born on 10/22. Most of the year has been catering to my wife and son and it’s been quite the journey.

Excited to partake here again and see what’s folks are up to.

@Sskim3 that’s one heck of a year!!! I’m glad that your health is on the mend, ❤️‍🩹! That must have been a stress full and extremely difficult time coupled with being laid off.. I’m glad you made it through 🤕.

Very glad to hear about your little one! My little guy is now 6 and he’s not so little anymore. Have a great time!

Glad you survived your cardiac adventures. I had my own cardiac fun back in May as well. Must be a seasonal thing. Congratulations on your family!

df76d5672b15dcd82e3c4f706879fce7.jpg

I haven’t used this boar brush in years. It cost less than $15 if I remember correctly. Boar brushes are typically the first entry level brush for folks and it reminded me why.

It is reliable. Lathers well. Performs well. Lasts a long time. No frills. No luxury elements. It’s like the Honda Accord of brushes.

so I tried the hombre (I assume the OG version). I can see how this is how Dave’s shop would smell like. Just like an old school barbershop. I assume for more mass appeal the scent was a bit tamed in the hombre dos (spaghetti western). It still smells great but it has more appeal to the younger folk IMHO. I believe both are tallow based and the last CBL soap I used is the spa which has no tallow. Chris has always created a great soap but I can fairly say his tallow soaps are a tad better performance wise for me.

on a more fun note, I tried some tamales and the green chile with pork is sooo good. I def prefer it over the beef. I will say I am surprised how well the tamales traveled via goldbelly. Dave def knows that I love food and did a great job.

Chris has always created a great soap but I can fairly say his tallow soaps are a tad better performance wise for me.
Not sure if I’ve had a CBL non-tallow. As a rule, I avoid the stuff. His soaps are exceptional. Enjoy your shaves.

Back