The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

There and Back Again, A Wet-Shaver's Tale

X is for XXV

Razor: Feather SS
Blade: ProGuard
Brush: Black Walnut tuxedo
Soap: Sudsy Soapery Sandalwood & Myrrh
Aftershave: Sudsy Soapery Sandalwood & Myrrh balm

EDP: Amouage Jubilation XXV

Yet another soap that I haven't given enough attention to for a while. Every time I use a Sudsy Soapery shave soap I'm re-impressed with how they perform. Outstanding three pass BBS today. A tiny bit of the balm goes a long way, and care must be taken to keep it from imparting a greasy feeling to the skin. Barely a dab on the fingertip was all it took, and that was just the right amount today. A few sprays of Jubilation XXV ended the shave beautifully. This is a really classy scent, and normally I wouldn't wear it to laze around the house in jeans and a t-shirt, but these are crazy times. 🤪

pbM3DDQl.jpg

Thanks for reading and have a great day!

Y is for Abbate Y La Mantia

Brush: TSC 1st Anniversary
Soap: Abbate Y La Mantia Laureato
Aftershave: Abbate Y La Mantia Laureato

Another soap that has been sitting around for a while. Absolutely love the scent of this stuff, and the artwork on the tin is pretty cool. It is laurel scented, which is something that I don't think I've ever smelled before. The scent strength is middle of the road, but it somehow manages to fill the shave den, and the aftershave lasts long enough that I didn't feel the need to add a frag to today's shave. The downside to this soap is that it is close to Saponificio Varesino prices but you don't get Saponificio Varesino performance. It performs well enough but is lacking in residual slickness, and it tends to dry my skin out which makes a good post shave moisturizer a must. A three pass shave with a bit of clean up netted me a BBS, and I'm still smelling the aftershave a few hours later.

IauA8uJl.jpg

The pressure pot that I ordered for resin casting still hadn't shipped as of this morning, so I cancelled the order and made the drive to pick one up. I'll be doing some jury rigging today, though I'm still waiting for one more part to be able to finish.

I'm considering doing a....well, not a PIF, but a contest...the winners will each choose one of the three or four the colors for my first attempt at casting a resin blank, and I'd do the mixing and casting on a Zoom call so they could see it come together....or fail spectacularly. I'll be mentioning something like this on my Hobbyist page as well, and will do it if there is enough interest, so let me know what you think. Keep in mind that EVERY color I have available is up for consideration(I think there is a neon pink in there somewhere), so we could get something pretty wild looking, which is kind of what I'm hoping for.

As I said in the other thread! Totally up for this. Depends on the day and time...but would love to watch this! Great couple of shaves too! That SS Sandalwood and Myrrh is actually one of my favorites scents! I haven't pulled it out in a while though!

Cool, I didn’t know there were SV clones to be had!

Great idea about the live casting Eric! I’m just happy you’re back to enjoying one of your passions!

As I said in the other thread! Totally up for this. Depends on the day and time...but would love to watch this! Great couple of shaves too! That SS Sandalwood and Myrrh is actually one of my favorites scents! I haven't pulled it out in a while though!
I'm probably going to put it together sometime today. It'll likely just be a sign up with a random number drawing at the end. I think I had only used that soap once before yesterday, though I have several of SS's soaps that get more regular use.
Cool, I didn’t know there were SV clones to be had!

Great idea about the live casting Eric! I’m just happy you’re back to enjoying one of your passions!
Thanks Chris! It's not actually an SV clone. I just used the price and quality comparison to explain it's shortcomings lol.

I'm having a lot of fun getting everything put together for the casting, and whether this one turns out well or not I plan to keep going with it.

Z is for Zingari

Brush: TSC 1st Anniversary
Soap: Zingari Man The Explorer
Aftershave: Pitralon Classic

EDT: Salvator Ferragamo Acqua Essenziale Colonia

Went with Zingari for today's shave, both because it starts with the letter Z and because it is just a great soap. Love the scent, performance, and post shave feel, and I plan to pick up more scents when it's possible to do so. The lather is a little on the finicky side for me, and it takes some work to get it just the way I like it, but once there it is fantastic. Three laid back passes left me with a wonderful BBS, a hefty glug of Pitralon Classic(really need to order a new bottle soon), and a few sprays of Acqua Essenziale Colonia set me up for a successful day.

I really enjoy playing around with photo filters and couldn't decide which I liked the best. Since it would take more time to choose one than to just post my two favorites...

MsmS6jMl.jpg

KawWwrJl.jpg

I've been struggling with exercising even remotely regularly. My knees are bad enough that jogging or treadmills are out, and even some exercise bikes cause me trouble. I had a great routine down when I was staying at the center and had access to a really nice elliptical machine, but have slacked off big time the last month and a half, which is tough because I notice a big improvement in my energy level and overall outlook when I'm getting it in regularly. So it was with a renewed sense of determination that I decided to give yoga a shot. I already had a mat laying around, and needing no other equipment makes just unrolling it and getting started before I can talk myself out of it almost necessary at this point. The basic video was a little over half an hour long, and I learned a couple important things during that time.

1. Yoga is no joke. It is a full body workout, and I can already tell that pretty much everything is going to be sore tomorrow.
2. I am about as flexible as an oak 2 x 4.

No one in their right mind expects to be able to do something like this well the first time around, but I did not realize just how lacking in flexibility I was. In a way that is a good thing. Lots of room for improvement makes it easier to have a goal to work towards. It is also nice that it can be done in seclusion, because there is no way I didn't look completely ridiculous lol.

Nice post Eric and I hope the yoga helps out. I may need to start that because I am not doing myself any service by waiting for the gym to open

Bad knees are rough. I screwed up both of mine playing disc golf and now sitting or squatting causes me great pain. It sounds like I'm cracking my knuckles.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Now you just need a goat!
200.gif

Nice post Eric and I hope the yoga helps out. I may need to start that because I am not doing myself any service by waiting for the gym to open
Thanks Pat! It's It's a pretty good way to go.
Bad knees are rough. I screwed up both of mine playing disc golf and now sitting or squatting causes me great pain. It sounds like I'm cracking my knuckles.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Mine aren't that bad, but any prolong impact like jogging makes it almost impossible for me to walk up or down a flight of steps for a day or two.
This period has been pretty rough on me to. My custodial work kept me in pretty decent shape...that’s pretty much all out the window now lol.
My job required a lot of walking from machine to machine. I was logging a ton of steps in every day. Now it's pretty much from the couch to the fridge....maybe a couple trips to the workshop.
Yoga for you too? I can’t wait. Cadre Zoom Yoga Hour.
Dude. No one wants to see that. 🤣

Brush: Black Walnut tuxedo
Soap: Captain's Choice 45th Parallel
Aftershave: Captain's Choice 45th Parallel

EDT: Guerlain Habit Rouge

Since we passed the point of Z I decided to use a couple of number soaps. 45th Parallel is just an awesome scent, and my mouth practically waters every time I smell it. Three delightful passes left me with a BBS, and a hefty glug of the aftershave capped it off nicely and made the entire shave den smell delicious. Habit Rouge does not even come close to matching the soap, but c'mon...it's Habit Rouge, so why not?

TVO1HnQl.jpg

Some really nice shaves Eric! And good call on using numbered soaps. I will try to remember that the next time we do the ABC shaves.

How did Yoga go? If I can give you some advice...don't push too hard with yoga. If it doesn't look like your body can get in that position...then don't. With continuous work you will get more and more flexible. But pushing it too far will only get you hurt.

But you are definitely right...Yoga is no joke!

1. Yoga is no joke. It is a full body workout, and I can already tell that pretty much everything is going to be sore tomorrow.
2. I am about as flexible as an oak 2 x 4.
I've toyed with the thought of Yoga. Dabbled in it a couple of years back, but didn't keep at it. I need to get into an exercise routine myself.

I had a feeling you would be the first one to make a zombie reference lol.
Some really nice shaves Eric! And good call on using numbered soaps. I will try to remember that the next time we do the ABC shaves.

How did Yoga go? If I can give you some advice...don't push too hard with yoga. If it doesn't look like your body can get in that position...then don't. With continuous work you will get more and more flexible. But pushing it too far will only get you hurt.

But you are definitely right...Yoga is no joke!

Thanks Don! The yoga has gone pretty well so far. You know I'm not too proud to take all the advice I can get lol. I am definitely not trying to force my body into any of those positions. From what I know already, tension is ok, pain is not.
I've toyed with the thought of Yoga. Dabbled in it a couple of years back, but didn't keep at it. I need to get into an exercise routine myself.
I'm looking forward to making it part of my routine.

Back