The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

There and Back Again, A Wet-Shaver's Tale

That was an amazing read, Eric, and I happy I could finally catch up! Congrats all around, especially on your milestone. I watched my dad go through the same journey, and it was enough to keep me on the straight and narrow for my adult life. Kudos for finding and sharing your strength, sir!

McVeyMac said:
Sorry I missed your anniversary post Eric, but a belated happy anniversary none the less. I am finding posting and staying caught up with the reading near impossible with my work scheduled, but I promise to stop in from time to time.

I find that the modern Feather bladed SE razors can result in lots of weepers if I am not careful. Especially if I have had a long run of nothing but traditional straight razor shaves.
WildWest74 said:
That was an amazing read, Eric, and I happy I could finally catch up! Congrats all around, especially on your milestone. I watched my dad go through the same journey, and it was enough to keep me on the straight and narrow for my adult life. Kudos for finding and sharing your strength, sir!

Thanks so much, guys. Sorry for the late response, I haven't been in the journals much at all, and need to get caught up..again lol. Shaves are still happening, though there hasn't been much activity in here. I have had time to make a special order though. This is today's Mail Call:

After reading Dave's glowing reviews, and these items going on clearance sale, I managed to pull the trigger.

Catching up on your journal.

Belated congratulations on your four year anniversary. I also think it is wonderful and amazing that you are helping others as well.

Also, those are some great mail calls. I am a bit jealous.

cmh737 said:
Nice mail call, Eric.
Dagwoodz said:
Awesome delivery Eric! Their balm is amazing!
clyde72 said:
Nice mail call Eric!
Thanks guys! One of the Paladin soaps is on deck for tomorrow, just not sure which one..

dkeester said:
Catching up on your journal.

Belated congratulations on your four year anniversary. I also think it is wonderful and amazing that you are helping others as well.

Also, those are some great mail calls. I am a bit jealous.

Thanks Doug! It's good to see you here.

I’m a bit late catching up on the journals. Great mail calls and a big congrats on the milestone!

MilkCrate said:
I’m a bit late catching up on the journals. Great mail calls and a big congrats on the milestone!
Thanks Tim! I've got a lot of catching up to do as well, and hope it can be gotten to soon lol.

Xenostr8shaver said:
Gpod Stuff Eric and Glad you were able to get some Paladin

Thanks Dave, me too. The balm is everything you said it was, and it actually helped Proraso Azur Lime cologne last a little longer than usual by mixing the two.

Xenostr8shaver said:
Yup it is an AS extender, LOL

No doubt! Even going with 8 Vassily's, Azur Lime usually fades in 3 hours, but I was getting compliments on it 5 hours later.

Ok, I haven't done well with keeping up the journal lately. Shaves have continued to happen, and I've tried a couple of new(to me) soaps. Some thoughts on those:

RazorRock What The Puck?! Lime: I wasn't sure what to expect from these. I went after the three for $8, with the Barbershop and Orange included, and finally used the Lime the other day. First impression on opening the tub was..a lime version of Arko. They are similar enough that that was the first thing to pop in my head during the initial sniff, and I still think that after having lathered and used it. That isn't a problem for me, since I love Arko, and it still went nicely with Captain's Choice Lime aftershave. Performance-wise, it is probably better than any other RazoRock soap I've used, with the exception of Santa Maria del Fiore and maybe Mudder Focker. Great stuff all around, and it's a fantastic deal at that price.

Paladin Silk Road: The SOS was a little disappointing at about 2/5, but I enjoyed the scent, and there is no knocking the performance of this stuff. I had one of those paradoxical experiences where the it didn't feel quite as slick on my face while lathering as I was hoping and expecting, yet the razor glided across my skin with ridiculous ease, and it felt like I would actually have to dig in to have it catch(something that I was not about to test, but that was how it felt while shaving). The balm was the show-stealer however. One of the best aftershaves I've used, and it makes the top 3(along with Via Barberia and SV).

I was talking with one of the guys at the center, who I've been converting to DE's and shaving soaps, and he mentioned not liking "old man" scents. I have dedicated the next several shaves to him, and used Brut aftershave and cologne today, with Old Spice, Clubman, and Tabac coming up soon. I forgot how much I love the scent of Brut, and was particularly liberal with it this morning. Sadly, his nose was stuffed up, but many others shared in the joy of this lovely fragrance.

And yesterday's Mail Call:

The Pitralon was purchased from @Spider in our BST, and it is just as he described; very similar to Swiss Pitralon, but with an extra smoky note.

The WSP was gotten from @bobmsp in the Instant PIF thread, and the scent is citrus, woods, and leather, which combine beautifully. I'm really looking forward to using this, and many thanks to Bob for the PIF!

Thanks for reading, and have a great day!

Good reviews, Eric. And gotta dig the classics; Brut and Old Spice particularly. BTW, Mamma Bear makes a very nice Brut scented soap - the shaving stick, as well as the bath bar soap.

Great stuff Eric!

I have yet to use the What The Puck soaps. Agree that the Paladin soap and ASB are top shelf!
Hmmm smokey Swiss Pitralon... very interesting.

Great shave and excellent mail call!

IMNSHO, "Old Man Scents" are some of the best ones out there. Tabac, Clubman, Old Spice, AV Ice Blue, British Sterling, etc. They are all great scents.

Great shaves, mail calls and reviews, Eric! Too bad the guy at work can't smell your tribute shAves. ..lol

Nice read Eric. I really enjoy the What the Puck soaps. Glad you like them also.

Back