The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

There and Back Again, A Wet-Shaver's Tale

O is for Oriental

Razor: Feather SS
Blade: ProGuard
Brush: Black Walnut tuxedo
Soap: West Coast Shaving Oriental
Aftershave: Paladin balm
EDP: Penhaligon's Halfeti

Broke out one of the more recent purchases for today's shave. WCS Oriental is a really nice oriental scent that smells and performs great. I'll likely get some more of their soaps when I'm able. A lovely three pass BBS was had this morning, and a couple sprays of Halfeti was the icing on the cake. Projection and longevity of this juice are no joke, so I'll be smelling amazing all day and into the night.

U1LKUHUl.jpg

I hadn't mentioned when it happened, but my 24mm Forstner bit, which I use to drill the knot holes in my brush handles, broke. Interestingly enough it didn't happen while using it, but as I was removing it from the chuck. I've had this one for over 2 years and it has definitely served me well. If you have one of my brushes, chances are this was used on it. It'll probably still work, but I've ordered another anyway.

NzXgcbZl.jpg

I also ordered a new bowl gouge. My entire set of turning tools was purchased over 2 years ago, and all of them are holding up well except the bowl gouge, which gets the most use. It's not the best quality so while it will take a good edge it needs to be sharpened often(especially when turning something like Ebony or Lignum Vitae), and there is just not a lot of usable steel left on it. I could have gotten another of the same type for pretty cheap but decided to get something that will last a lot longer and comes with a really nice edge and grind on it already.

Looking forward to the online meeting tonight. Thanks for reading and have a great day!

Nice post Eric! Sorry your bit broke, but at least you have another on the way. Is that brush another one that you made?

Q is for Quorum

Razor: Feather SS
Blade: ProGuard
Brush: TSC 1st Anniversary
Soap: Stirling Christmas Eve
Aftershave: Pitralon Classic
EDT: Quorum

A nice three pass BBS was just what I needed this morning. Follow it up with a classic like Quorum and all is right with the world. Ok, maybe not, but it sure felt like it lol.

BPKKfkml.jpg

I pulled the trigger on a gallon of resin, so once it gets here I'll be able to play around with making some brush blanks. This is something that I've been thinking about doing for a long time, and I already quite a few colored powders. Just need to pick up some PVC to make a mold out of and give it a shot once it all arrives.

I pulled the trigger on a gallon of resin, so once it gets here I'll be able to play around with making some brush blanks. This is something that I've been thinking about doing for a long time, and I already quite a few colored powders. Just need to pick up some PVC to make a mold out of and give it a shot once it all arrives.
Aah, I was wondering how you got the wood/resin handles turned! Pretty cool stuff, Eric. Nice to see things are getting back to "normal" for you. (y)

Can't wait to see your experimentations Eric
Thanks Dave. Going through all of the colors today and deciding what combination to use for the first attempt.
Aah, I was wondering how you got the wood/resin handles turned! Pretty cool stuff, Eric. Nice to see things are getting back to "normal" for you. (y)
Thanks Bruce! I have bought all of the hybrid blanks so far, and it’ll be a while before I can combine resin with burl due to the need to stabilize it first, but I’m really looking forward to playing around with something new.

Back