The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

There and Back Again, A Wet-Shaver's Tale

Congratulations on the new job! Moving sucks, but it's for a good reason.
Congratulations!! And good luck on moving.
Don’t forget to shave! :confused:

Thanks guys!

Wow, almost kicked to the 2nd page. I really need to try to get on here more. The move went well, and it’s been crazy since then. I’m settling into the new job, and helping my sister and BIL get ready to move to Kentucky. That has required a lot of work around their house as well as helping with the kids. It has also meant that I could play in the wood shop for a bit until it was packed up and shipped out, so I made a few brush blanks for when I get my wood shop going again.
F71AEBD2-E4D8-4539-89BC-010BED74C4B5.jpeg

Super late to the party here...But Congrats on the new Job Eric. Glad the move went well. Are you still in Flint? Or was the move pretty far?

HOT DAMN!
Right?!
I’m in!
Oh, there will be a PIF once I get the dungeon going again. Count on it. It’ll still be a while though.
Super late to the party here...But Congrats on the new Job Eric. Glad the move went well. Are you still in Flint? Or was the move pretty far?
Thanks Don! I am out of Flint. I moved about an hour away.
I’m in!
Lol
So ummmm, we just glue the knot to the top of that?
I never thought of that, but it might just work. That’d be a heck of a floppy brush though.

I’m taking my BIL to the airport this evening. They haven’t sold their house here yet, so I’m staying and helping out with the house and the kids until that is done. Then my sister and the kids will make the move.

I was bummed when all the heavier machinery was packed and moved yesterday. This thing was a blast to work with.
16C73F79-ACC1-46C7-85CE-61703BFD177C.jpeg

Hello Cadre! It is I, your beloved Smattayu, still alive and kicking. Sorry to be out of the loop for so long. It has been an interesting few weeks, so here is the recap.

The new job was going great. I was getting into a good rythm with the new schedule, and the work itself appeals to my meticulous nature. Most of the products at the shop where I work are related to the auto industry, so once I heard that the big three were shutting down I knew it was only a matter of time . Sure enough, almost the entire shop was laid off last Monday. That was a bit of a blow, since I wasn't working there nearly long enough to be eligible for unemployment through them.

Fortunately the pay at the new place is good enough that the 2 weeks I have worked there earned me enough to be ok for a while. Part of that is due to my current living situation. My BIL transferred to Kentucky for his job and I've been staying with my sister to help out with the kids and make sure their house is ready to sell. They put a contingency offer on a really nice place in Tennessee(his work is right across the border in Kentucky), and the open house they held here a few weeks ago went very well. Needless to say, the timing was pretty lousy for them. He is living in a work supplied hotel in Tennessee, and they are still here in Michigan with no idea when the housing issue might be resolved.

I'm not going to lie, I was in a bit of a funk last week. But you can only stay down for so long, and I have a lot to be grateful for regardless of my work situation. Life is still good, and I am determined to live it. For one thing, I have not heard anyone unloading their firearms in the middle of the street since I moved out of Flint. See? Upsides. I did keep up with the shaves, and finished 3017ing my tub of Dragonsbeard. Many thanks to @Dragonsbeard for allowing me to keep the remains of the soap and aftershave once the pass around was done. I love the scent of that stuff, and could see an improvement in my skin since I started using it regularly. I'm really looking forward to trying some of Frank's new products. I also have new tubs of both Zingari and West Coast Shaving soaps that I've tried since I finished the 3017. They are both excellent in both performance and scent and I plan to get more of both in different scents once things pick back up.

I also get to spend plenty of time with this little guy.

I would dare anyone to watch that and not at least crack a smile. I'm pretty sure the phone in selfie mode in that video. My nephew Seve was diagnosed with autism last year. He seems pretty ok with the situation, as you can see lol. He is definitely a handful, and repeatedly opening and closing every door he can find is his favorite way to self soothe.

I hope everyone is doing well. I've read recent entries in a few of the journals, and will try to do some catching up in the next few days. That's all I've got now. Thanks for reading and have a great evening!

Glad you’re chugging along Eric! Sorry bout the work situation though, that stinks. Good on you for helping out your sister and spending time with the nephew!

A member of our congregation has an autistic son about 4 and he loves opening doors too. Funny what brings them joy. Wishing you the best Eric. Things will turn around ;)

Glad you’re chugging along Eric! Sorry bout the work situation though, that stinks. Good on you for helping out your sister and spending time with the nephew!
Thanks Chris! It is definitely a mutually beneficial situation lol.
A member of our congregation has an autistic son about 4 and he loves opening doors too. Funny what brings them joy. Wishing you the best Eric. Things will turn around ;)
Thanks Dave! I’m really not worried about it at this point. I’ve been through far worse, so this is just a bump in the road.
One of Seve’s favorite things is having his blanket tossed up in the air so it lands on his head. I don’t think I’ve ever heard a child shriek with laughter that much in my life.
That is a bummer about the job front. Hang in there man!
Thanks Tim! It’ll all get sorted out. In the meantime, I’ve considered getting my tools out of storage. All of my BIL’s heavy equipment was packed up and sent to Kentucky, so there is plenty of room in his workshop to set up The Dungeon temporarily.

Razor: Rockwell 6c
Blade: Wizamet
Brush: Black Walnut tuxedo
Soap: Zingari Man Explorer
Aftershave: Pitralon classic

This is what most of my shaves look like lately. Most of the shave soaps and AS are boxed up, so I’ll alternate between about 3 different soaps and a couple of aftershaves, and switch between the 6c and Feather SS.

Zingari makes a great performing soap. I believe Explorer is their take on Bulgari Wood Essence. A nice three pass BBS was the end result, and it’s about time to order some more Pitralon Classic.

57AB153D-D87F-42AF-81F9-EA914FCDA07D.jpeg

The time off has allowed me to play around in the kitchen a little, and my first attempt at corned beef and cabbage was consumed the other night. It came out well if I say so myself, though the real hit was making corned beef hash from the leftovers the next morning. There is a really good market not far away with a great meat selection, so I’m planning for the weeks dinners and heading over there soon.

Thanks for reading and have a great day!

Last edited:
Back