The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

There and Back Again, A Wet-Shaver's Tale

Nice score! Looks like it's in damn decent shape considering. Sounds a lot like Texas to me. You looking at the right map?
It's the one shaped like a mitten, right?
Having a hard time quoting your post on my phone, but you said your hemp formula was usually foamy..... try starting with a drier brush. I shake or squeeze all the water out before I load, and add a few drops of it feels like it’s not loading enough. Once you start lathering just add a few drops at a time. If you start with room much water it’s hard to recover.
I usually load all my soaps that way, but maybe I just need to start even drier than usual. It really seems like as soon as any water hits it, it starts going foamy, and just goes from a heavier foam to a lighter one as more water is added. Might also be the crappy Flint water.
I like the look of many of the DE shavettes, but have heard enough horror stories I keep my distance.
I usually do as well, but love the way this one looks enough that I have to break it out every now and then. One thing is for certain, letting your mind wander while shaving with one of these is a recipe for disaster.
Eric, you have quite a collection of straights. Enjoy your shaves!
Thanks Bruce! It might be a bit sad that there are almost as many in my project drawer as in my "ready-to-go" drawer, but I seem to keep adding to both.

Yes, it will start out a bit foamy, but at that point, I just keep loading until it thickens up (without adding more water). Then as I’m lathering I may add a tiny bit of water. Granted I probably load way more soap than I need, but if it gets me the lather the way I want, it’s all good.

Yes, it will start out a bit foamy, but at that point, I just keep loading until it thickens up (without adding more water). Then as I’m lathering I may add a tiny bit of water. Granted I probably load way more soap than I need, but if it gets me the lather the way I want, it’s all good.
Nothing wrong with more product. We've all probably got enough to last at least another decade or two, even if we do load it like madmen.

Really cool looking SR find Eric!

Sounds like a good ministry. (y)
Thanks Chris! It is a great ministry, and I'm grateful to be a part of it.
Cool HB razor and love the ship on the blade of the bay find.
Thanks Dave! I really like the ship as well, though it still took a back seat to the lack of hone wear lol. I'm looking forward to being able to get it cleaned up and get some nice scales made. Might even use horn, which I normally hate working with.

Razor: Kropp
Brush: TSC Legacy
Cream: Baum.be
Aftershave: Baum.be
EDP: Rasasi Daarej

One of the new straights came in yesterday, a 5/8 Kropp with "Agent J. Hoyland Hull" engraved on the blade. It was in very good shape, though the geometry was a little bit wonky, as I discovered when I put it on the stones to set the bevel. The bevel on the edge of the razor is a bit wavy, and it took some work to have it touching the stone across it's entire length. I ran it through what is becoming my preferred progression with the Nortons and then the Jnat, and set it aside for this morning. I grabbed Baum.be for today, which is one of my top 3 creams. It can be a little finicky to get the lather just right, but once there it is performs like a dream.

The shave was marvelous, and two passes with the usual clean up netted me a very nice DFS+. The edge was smooth and sharp, though I know I can improve on the edges I'm getting. A bit of balm and a few sprays of Daarej and I was good to go.

I'm really liking this frag. It has been compared to V by Valentino, which is unobtanium unless you want to spend a crazy amount for it. It's a sweet and spicy Oriental which starts out just a bit harsh, but dries down very nicely. Longevity and projection are average, and it pulls quite a few compliments.

FccVqPfl.jpg

A cold is making it's way through the house. Most of the guys have gotten it by now and it has been creeping up on me for a few days. What it lacks in virulence it has been making up for in longevity, and it seems to go on for at least a week or two once it has it's hooks in.

Thanks for reading and have a great day!

That's a classic-looking razor. Nice find!
Thanks Larry! I keep a pretty low price ceiling on things I find on the bay. It works out well since I like restoring them when I have time, and can find straights that will look nice when restored for a good price. I was pleasantly surprised that I got this one for as low as I did, and it didn't even need much polishing. The scales need some work, but nothing that 10 minutes with sandpaper of ascending grits won't take care of.

Razor: Greaves & Sons near wedge
Brush: Stirling boar
Soap: CFG Sherlock
Aftershave: CFG Sherlock
EDT: Geo F Trumper Eucris EDT splash

I love these big old choppers, and was thrilled when I was able to finally pick one up. This Greaves & Sons needed some restoration when I got it, including new horn scales, but it was worth the time and effort. I'm pretty sure this was last honed on lapping film, and a quick look through the jewelers loupe confirmed that. I have yet to see anything that can put that kind of mirror polish on an edge like lapping film. Sherlock was called forth for the shave. By far my favorite scent from CFG.

The Stirling boar has never let me down, and it was on the job today. A good loading time and a few minutes of face lathering gave me some great suds. Two passes and some clean up left me with a DFS+, though there was some residual irritation. One more reason to believe that this edge was done on lapping film. The edges are crazy sharp but can tend toward the harsh for me. A splash of the aftershave gave me a nice chill and another burst of this scent, and it was time for Eucris. Love this juice, but if there is one flaw it's that when you unscrew the cap you're met with a pin-sized hole to actually get the frag from. A few seconds of doing the ketchup-bottle boogie is enough to get what you need, but it's still a little annoying.

kmV2Bupl.jpg

Thanks for reading and have a great day!

@Smattayu I have the same issue with lapping film edges, unless they are finished up with balsa.

Great looking razor, nice job on the restore.

Lol a lot like that.
I thought he meant the old “jab a butter knife in there” ketchup trick.
I don’t think a knife that small exists.
@Smattayu I have the same issue with lapping film edges, unless they are finished up with balsa.

Great looking razor, nice job on the restore.
I’ve got balsa, it’s just in the wood shop lol. I’ll need to take a trip over there and get it, as well as a few other things.
Better than GTB??
Yep. Crazy, right?
Pop off the restricter and all is well. The people in the elevator will thank you!
I would.....if the stupid thing had a restricter lol.

583C0719-FB94-4E29-B65F-C6F261F0C25D.jpeg

Back