The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

There and Back Again, A Wet-Shaver's Tale

Great gear, Eric. Best of luck with the work and water.
Thanks Bruce!
I knew you use wood for heat, but I don't think I remember hot water. So you need to keep a fire going 24/7 even in the summer then?
Hadn’t thought about that Dave! Do tell Eric. Inquiring minds want to know!

Yep, it goes all day, every day, year round. The only time we've ever completely emptied the box of hots is when we had to replace the stack a few years ago. It doesn't take a lot to keep just the hot water going in the warmer months, but once we turn the heat on it goes through wood like crazy.
G3ODcw8l.jpg

Don't let the paperwork overwhelm you! It will be there tomorrow too. Do what you can and move on to tomorrow! Hope you can get the hot water figured out!
Thanks Don! It's tough to not be in gogogo mode all the time at work, but once I'm off the clock I leave it behind until my next shift. It took a while to learn to set boundaries between work and how much of my personal time I'm willing to give up to make this ministry run smoother, but I've seen what happens to people that never find that balance. The boundaries are up and holding strong lol.

Darn Tinkerbell Californians...

...I’ve never seen the like either. Never imagined it (actual fire for heat and hot water) to still be a “thing” unless you’re out in remote Alaska or something.

Thanks Bruce!

Yep, it goes all day, every day, year round. The only time we've ever completely emptied the box of hots is when we had to replace the stack a few years ago. It doesn't take a lot to keep just the hot water going in the warmer months, but once we turn the heat on it goes through wood like crazy.
G3ODcw8l.jpg

Thanks Don! It's tough to not be in gogogo mode all the time at work, but once I'm off the clock I leave it behind until my next shift. It took a while to learn to set boundaries between work and how much of my personal time I'm willing to give up to make this ministry run smoother, but I've seen what happens to people that never find that balance. The boundaries are up and holding strong lol.
Those things are awesome inventions

Razor: Jernbolaget wedge
Brush: Black Walnut synthetic
Cream: Body Shop Maca Root
Aftershave: Body Shop Maca Root
EDP: Dunhill Icon

@Brew using a Red Imp wedge the other day brought this razor to my mind, so I grabbed it for this morning's shave. This is the first straight I've used without taking it to the stones first in a while. I'm pretty sure I used lapping film followed by the SB Arkie with this one, though I made the mistake of not taping the spine while initially trying to set the bevel, so it isn't the most beautiful of razors. I found it ways back when I tried typing Jernbolaget in the search window on that auction site, misspelled it, and found that whoever posted it had misspelled it the same way lol. One click of Buy It Now and I was in the possession of a chunk of Swedish Adamantium.

Maca Root was the cream of the day. I'm not even sure if they are still making it, but you could get the tub of cream and squeeze bottle of balm for a crazy low price for quite a while, and it is an excellent performer. A dip and twist of the brush gave me a lot more cream than was needed, but instead of trying to remove any I just started adding water. A lot of water later and excess suds were flying all over the place, so I made sure my footing was secure and grab the razor. I really like the heavier grinds, and this wedge has given me many great shaves. The sharpness was lacking at the heel, but I was able to compensate for that fairly well, and two passes and some clean up gave me the usual DFS+. I'm not going to try to rate any of my edges until the beard shaving ceremony after years end, but this one has retained it's keenness very nicely. A dab of balm later and I was good to go.

Dunhill Icon is awesome. Just get some and thank me later. A few sprays had me firmly in my happy place and it was off to work.

BTOcSFRl.jpg

We sent out a crew to help with set up and tear down for Steven Curtis Chapman today. It's always nice doing these concerts, as everyone gets to attend and the guys have a great time.

Man, I really am long winded with these posts. Thanks for reading and have a great day!

Darn Tinkerbell Californians...

...I’ve never seen the like either. Never imagined it (actual fire for heat and hot water) to still be a “thing” unless you’re out in remote Alaska or something.
It was donated well before I came on the scene, and has been a huge blessing. As a nonprofit ministry that takes no state or federal funding we try to be as frugal as we can, and that wood burner saves us an obscene amount of money on a monthly basis. It takes a lot of work to get enough wood to get us through the winter, and we don't currently have enough, but sending out work crews to get more is a great way to build some character in recovering addicts lol.
Those things are awesome inventions
That they are.

Nice shave! The Maca Root has been reformulated and the price has gone way up.
Thanks! Do you know how the new formula stacks up?
Well that was short lived
Actually it lasted all day. :D
That looks like a real old classic!
I’m not sure if it was new when it was put in, but I think it’s been there for about a decade.
Ask @ShawnF he seems to know all about that kind of stuff!
2 boilers, one out of commission judging from the lack of exhaust and looks like the wiring may be disconnected unless I'm just not tracing it back proerly in the photo. Big expansion tank on top. Set up into zones with a couple different circulating pumps for individual zones.
show off.

Thanks! Do you know how the new formula stacks up?

I don’t use it, but the missus loved it. Said performance is better. They replaced the aloe with powdered aloe. The scent changed a bit and got lighter too. But the price went up to $15 a tub. So she switched to Stirling.

Dunhill Icon is indeed incredible. I almost bought some after my wedding but they were fresh out.

I don’t use it, but the missus loved it. Said performance is better. They replaced the aloe with powdered aloe. The scent changed a bit and got lighter too. But the price went up to $15 a tub. So she switched to Stirling.
That's a shame. It was a really good performer already. I got the Dopp kit that came with the bag, cream, balm, and a crappy shaving brush that I use as a dust brush in my wood shop. I can't remember how much it all was, but I think it was under $20.
Dunhill Icon is indeed incredible. I almost bought some after my wedding but they were fresh out.
It is really good juice, and a definite bargain.
The "grape soda"! Yes!!!!!!! (y)
And with a bottle that can double as a weapon who wouldn't want to get some?

Back