The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

There and Back Again, A Wet-Shaver's Tale

Before
IMG_8054_large.JPG

After
FugiGZSl.jpg

This was the last mod I did.
Ovq6iOYl.jpg
Nice skills!!

What the monkey said. That's quite a bit of work. What was your inspiration? Just to see if you could do it?

Nice skills!!
Thanks John!
What the monkey said. That's quite a bit of work. What was your inspiration? Just to see if you could do it?
The first one was to see if I could do it. Promethius was made for a Gold Dollar mod contest that the evil empire holds every year. I bought 5 Gold Dollars for it, and that was the only one that made it out alive lol. I did irreparable damage to the other 4 during the process. 2 were ruined while I was trying to put a bevel on the spine. Never could pull that one off.
Those are some very nice mods, well done!
Thanks Tim!

Prometheus was an awesome mod! Hoping that you can get back to the stuff you love to do sooner than later.

Prometheus was an awesome mod! Hoping that you can get back to the stuff you love to do sooner than later.

Thanks Don! I'm actually having a lot of fun getting back to honing. I haven't really had time to do it in a while and it's very relaxing.

Razor: Ralf Aust
Brush: Maggards Badger
Soap: Sudsy Soapery Sandalwood & Myrrh
Aftershave balm: Sudsy Soapery Sandalwood & Myrrh
EDP: Amouage Jubilation xxv

Back to the straight razor that started it all. The Aust is my first, and one of my only non-vintage, straights. It's a great shaver, and I'd recommend Ralf Aust to anyone that is looking to pull the trigger on a new razor. I still plan on picking up one of his 6/8 thumbnotch razors someday. I ran it over the coti that @CBLindsay is letting me borrow and was looking forward to seeing how it did.

I've had this tub of Sandalwood & Myrrh for a while, and this is my first time using it. The Sudsy Soapery is one of the first shaving soaps that made me realize that veggie based could be just as good as tallow. The Maggards brush did a great job of providing a nice surface for the Aust to skate over, and two passes and some clean up left me with a more than passable DFS+. As with previous coti edges, it's hard to wrap my head around how it feels while shaving verses how the shave actually turns out. It doesn't really tug, like a duller blade would, but there still seems to be a certain resistance that feels like it isn't cutting like it should be. It's strangely impressive, and I'm starting to enjoy being happily surprised with the results.

The star of this particular shave was not the soap or the razor, but the EDP. Jubilation xxv is fruity, dark, and rich with good performance and longevity. It evolves a lot as time goes by, and while it retains some of the sweet fruitiness a balsamic woodsiness with a hint of smoke comes to the front after a while. It is a subtly complex fragrance, but one thing it is not is versatile. It'll be a special occasion frag for me and won't get a lot of use, but it's still amazing and I'm glad I have it on hand.

4CUYVRJl.jpg

Just got off work a little while ago. It's always great to see how many family members come out to spend a holiday with the guys in the program, and they all bring desserts and side dishes. I don't run the kitchen anymore, but still help out on the holidays, and my job today was to carve 5 turkeys. I sharpened my boning and slicing knives the other day in preparation. Started them on the Chosera 1k and went all the way up to the Jnat. They were slicing millimeter thin curlicues off of a sheet of paper by the time I was done, and did a marvelous job carving up the birds.

A pic of the dessert table. This was about 1/3 of the mostly homemade desserts that were brought between last night and today, but we only had one table to put them on and had to rotate through them as they were consumed lol.
vXKNoovl.jpg

Happy Thanksgiving Cadre!

Great shave and sounds like you helps a lot of people get a good thanksgiving meal. (y)

Great feast brother. Glad to hear about everyone coming together for those in need.

Great shave and sounds like you helps a lot of people get a good thanksgiving meal. (y)
Good lookin spread! Happy Thanksgiving Eric!
Great feast brother. Glad to hear about everyone coming together for those in need.
Nice shave and spread!
Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanks guys! It was a good day. Great food, good fellowship, no problems with any of the guys, all followed by a devastating food coma.

So I've been on the bay a lot since I started using traditional straights again, and may have gone a little crazy. I've got 6 vintage straights and a Trac II on the way. To be fair they were all very good deals, and only a couple of them will need more than moderate clean up. I'll post pics once they start showing up. A couple are from across the pond, but the others should all be here by the middle of next week.

Razor: The Rev
Balde: Gillette Silver Blue
Brush: Black Walnut tuxedo
Cream: Proraso Single Blade Cypress & Vetiver
Aftershave: Proraso Cypress & Vetiver
EDT: L'Occitane Vetyver

I decided to take a break from regular straights and use something much scarier today. This little shavette from The Holy Black takes standard DE blades, and it is a predatory looking little bugger. I was listening to The Sinister Minister by Bela Fleck and the Flecktones the first time I saw it, and ended up dubbing it The Rev. Proraso Single Blade shaving creams are right up there with the best of them. I've found them to be outstanding in every way, and the only downside is that they are only sold in 9.5oz bags which doesn't make them very photogenic. I chose a Gillette SB blade for this shave. So far it's been the best balance of sharp and smooth in my blade collection, and I was given a 100 pack last year for Christmas.

The tuxedo whipped up a fantastic lather in no time, and two passes and a bit of clean up resulted in a stellar BBS. I tend to be far more light of touch than usual with this shaver and there was no irritation, though there was one nick where the edge nipped the top off of a little bump on my neck. The balm went on smooth and left my skin feeling amazing, and a few sprays of Vetyver had me safe inside my happy place as I left for work.

RcohxJzl.jpg

Mail Call yesterday. I was perusing the bay and ran across this Geneva Cutlery straight with about a minute left on the clock. Just about enough time to get a good enough look at the pics to make sure there wasn't anything obviously wrong with it, and I had enough left to sneak a bid in at the last second. It went for less than I thought it would. It needs to be rescaled, but that's no problem, and while there is a bit of minor pitting there isn't anything that won't clean up when I get it on the bench buffer. Once I get the bench buffer out of storage and set it up that is lol.

8f8vwMRl.jpg

S3bDspXl.jpg

Interesting morning at work. Part of what we do at my job is go to a local(and sometimes not so local) church instead of our home church on certain Sundays. They turn over part of their service to us, and we give an overview of what we do and have a few of the guys that have been in the program for a while give their testimonies. We call this a rally, and one was scheduled for this morning. Well, about an hour before we were supposed to leave it started snowing like crazy. In no time the parking lot and the roads were looking and feeling pretty rough, so a last minute decision was made to cancel. Of course now, and hour and a half later, most of the snow is melted and the roads are fine. Gotta love that crazy Michigan weather.

Thanks for reading and have a fantastic Sunday!

Nice score! Looks like it's in damn decent shape considering. Sounds a lot like Texas to me. You looking at the right map?

Having a hard time quoting your post on my phone, but you said your hemp formula was usually foamy..... try starting with a drier brush. I shake or squeeze all the water out before I load, and add a few drops of it feels like it’s not loading enough. Once you start lathering just add a few drops at a time. If you start with room much water it’s hard to recover.

I like the look of many of the DE shavettes, but have heard enough horror stories I keep my distance.

Back