The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

There and Back Again, A Wet-Shaver's Tale

I can completely relate. I am making the transition from film to Naniwa stones. Also have a Black Ark for a finisher.
I'm still kicking myself at missing the SRD good bye sale last year. 70% off of everything iirc. Could have gotten a full set of either Shapton glass or Naniwa stones for a song.
Oh mercy. It's good to see you back for sure. I hope the wood shop going away is just a temporary thing!
Thanks Dave! I hope so too. I'm sure it will be. It's just a matter of time before I find a suitable place.
Glad you’re still well Eric! Hope things normalize soon for ya.
Thanks Chris!
Good to hear from you Eric! I just began trying out my new cotis(one BBW and one regular coticule). Other than my finisher I've been using Nortons with great results but the first 2 edges from the naturals are truly on another level. Can't wait to get to where I feel proficient with them.
Thanks Kyle! I still use the Norton 4k/8k for my mid range sometimes. I've tried several natural stones so far, and own a coti, welsh slate trio, even a lower end Jnat. The Black Ark is my finisher and is the only one I've been able to get a good edge from. I must just not have the touch when it comes to naturals, so lapping film will probably continue to be my preferred mode of honing.
Good to hear from you, Eric. Be safe.
Thanks Bruce!

Ok, the latest acquisitions. I did a pretty good sized side job, and made enough from it that I decided to splurge on a couple frags that I've been wanting for quite a while, but couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on because of the price. I also grabbed two others that appealed to me more recently, and I'll start with those:

bU2t1Y6l.jpg

I don't think I'd even heard of Azzaro Visit until I found some in a bunch of samples that @cmh737 sent to me a while back. I liked the smell but didn't take much time to analyze it. It was revisited a few weeks ago, and there is something about it that just appeals to me. Smooth, creamy, and woodsy. Versatile enough that I could spray some on with jeans and a t-shirt and be comfortable with it, use it for a day at the office, or even an evening out. It's very safe and non-offensive, and at about $20 for a 3.4oz bottle I'd call it a good blind buy.
L'Occitane Eau des Baux: Spicy vanilla incense. Warm and comforting, and perfect for this time of year. This is one of those bottles that I uncap and sniff when I pass by it just because it smells so good.

Now for the two big ones:
cdxwXntl.jpg

Interestingly enough, both of these were samples that were sent to me by @Dagwoodz. He sent Halfeti along with a few other Penhaligon's frags a couple of years ago, and Sunshine Man last year. Both have excellent projection(Halfeti was strong enough that I was getting comments that it was too strong several hours after 3 sprays from the sample bottle), both are unique, and both smell so good that I'd get backup bottles if I could. Sunshine Man is good in autumn, winter, and spring, though I'd stay away from it in the warmer days of spring. Halfeti is cool/cold weather only for me. Even if you could easily pull the trigger on these, I would highly recommend going the sample route. Amouage frags are often polarizing, and this one seems to be even more so than many others.

Sorry about the poor pics. My old light box was a casualty of the drive-by, and I haven't gotten around to replacing it yet. I didn't really even think about it until today.

That was a heck of a sale at SRD. I missed the stones, but scored a strop.
Lol same here. I got a smaller strop that was so inexpensive with the sale that I couldn't pass it up.
Great read. How was the longevity/projection on Azzaro Visit for you?
Thanks Chris. The longevity was good. I got 7+ hours before I couldn't detect it anymore. Projection is a little harder to measure. I usually rely on comments from others for that, but I'd say it is moderate. No one is going to smell you coming from down the hall, but it is probably noticeable when you walk past someone.

Razor: Shumate 333
Brush: Black Walnut synthetic
Soap: CBL The Shaving Cadre
Aftershave: Swiss Pitralon

EDP: Houbigant Fougere Royale

Ok, back to using my shave journal for logging actual hair removal. I'm not logging these as official shaves to add to my count, as I still have a beard, but the hardest part for me to shave is my neck and that is what is getting done, so I'm still getting more experience with the straights.

The stones have also come out for the first time in over a year, and with the new Chosera 1k to set bevels on I'm going through every straight in my collection and starting from the ground up getting them shave ready again. This Shumate was the second razor I've put on the stones recently. From the Chosera I went to the Norton 4k, 8k, then a Jnat Koppa that I picked up from chefknivestogo a couple years ago. I have no nagura for the Jnat, so I broke out the purple Welsh Slate slurry stone. By the time I was done it was barely passing the HHT, but I've gotten great shaves from razors that haven't passed that test at all in the past, so I decided to give it a shot.

What else to test an edge out with than one of the best shaving soaps in existance? I randomly grabbed the first tub of CBL soap I saw, which was The Shaving Cadre scent, and got to it. I rarely go more than two passes with some clean up anymore, and that is enough for BBS with the Feather, so it was time to see how the Shumate stacked up. The result was not bad. The edge was not as sharp as it could have been(no surprise there), but it was very smooth, and the usual two passes with clean up left me with a perfectly serviceable DFS. No blood and no sting at all from the aftershave, which is better than I expected after not using a traditional straight in so long. A few sprays of Fougere Royale brought me right to my happy place and it was off to the crazy house, also known as work.

9xXYNQal.jpg

I unearthed my leftover lapping film and put the Hayashi Diamond to it this evening. The usual Chosera bevel set followed by Norton 4k/8k, then to the 3 Micron, 1 Micron, and .3 micron lapping film. A boatload of laps on the Bison strop and you could use the edge to reflect laser beams. Hair fell into pieces as soon as it got close to the blade, and it is on deck for tomorrow's shave.

Apologies for the long winded post, and have a lovely evening!

Great first entry back, Eric! Sounds like a dream of a shave considering how long you didn't use a straight. I probably would've managed to cut a toe off in the process of shaving my face. 🤣

I love long-winded stuff. This is more than just shaving, some of us have serious sentimental attachments with the stuff we use. Flashbacks to grandpa's bathroom, dad's Old Spice, etc. It's nice to be able to connect with people with different life experiences.

You would think a guy that shaved with an axe would have no problems with a lil ole straight razor.

Great first entry back, Eric! Sounds like a dream of a shave considering how long you didn't use a straight. I probably would've managed to cut a toe off in the process of shaving my face. 🤣

I love long-winded stuff. This is more than just shaving, some of us have serious sentimental attachments with the stuff we use. Flashbacks to grandpa's bathroom, dad's Old Spice, etc. It's nice to be able to connect with people with different life experiences.
Thanks Ben!
Great to have you back in the journals Eric!
Thanks Chris, it’s good to be back!
Not ling winded at all. Welcome back to the journals!
Maybe a little long winded lol.
Welcome back and sounds like your in for a heck of a shave tomorrow!
Thanks Kyle, actually ended up being lazy and skipping today’s shave lol.
Like riding a bike?
Probably close to it, though the last time I got on a bike I wiped out pretty hard lol.
Heeee's Baaaaack
*evil laugh*
You would think a guy that shaved with an axe would have no problems with a lil ole straight razor.
It was only a hatchet. And that was a while ago. Speaking of which, I found it while moving everything. The blade was well oiled and sharp as it was when I got it from Chris.

No shave today, but I did get a couple more razors on the stones.

Nice to hear from you, Eric. Glad things are starting to get settled your way. And some nice mail calls. Hope the JNAT works well for you.

Nice to hear from you, Eric. Glad things are starting to get settled your way. And some nice mail calls. Hope the JNAT works well for you.
Thanks Chris! The Jnat arrived yesterday and I spent some time on it with my Genco Head Barber, which I’ve had some trouble honing lately. Just finished up at work and about to go test that edge with a nice evening shave.

Razor: Genco Head Barber
Brush: TSC Legacy
Soap: CBL Black Rose Oud
Aftershave: Swiss Pitralon

The shave with the Hayashi, which was honed on lapping film, was postponed due to the arrival, and subsequent use of, the new Jnat. I had already taken the Genco from bevel set up to the Norton 8k, so it was ready for the finisher. I went through a full progression with the Botan, Tenjyou, Mejiro, and Tomo. This seems to be a crazy hard stone, as it took ages to build a decent slurry with the Tomo. It was stropped thoroughly on the Bison, and was topping leg hair like a champ so I left it alone after that.

I wasn’t expecting too much out of the edge, but was pleasantly surprised. Two passes and some clean up left with with a DFS+. No blood and no sting from the AS.

I’m going to call this one beginners luck. I wasn’t making any attempt to read the stone while I was honing, just built a slurry and lost myself in the process, using a spray bottle to dilute as I went. It was relaxing. When using synthetic stones or lapping film I’m concentrating on the finished product and how to get there efficiently. This was more about the journey than the destination. Not that the finished edge wasn’t important, but I was enjoying the ride instead of feeling like it was a job.

No frag for an evening shave. Off to get some dinner and crash early. Have a lovely night!

Interesting commentary on the honing. The journey might be why I enjoy honing as much as I do, even honing the kitchen knives at work. Keep it up.

Back