The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

There and Back Again, A Wet-Shaver's Tale

Dude, that’s scary stuff. Sorry you had to deal with that.

The vacation has been great so far. Plenty of relaxing with family and getting together with some old friends. I'll be heading back Sunday after church, but until then I might as well be on another planet.

Razor: Rockwell 6c
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Brush: TSC Legacy
Soap: Chiseled Face GTB
Aftershave: Chiseled Face GTB

EDT: Azarro Pour Homme

It was tough going back to work yesterday after a great vacation, but the shave made it a pretty smooth transition(see what I did there?). GTB is one of the soaps that I can always reach for when I'm not sure what I want, and Azarro PH is just a fantastic classic barbershop frag. I've started growing the beard again, so it was just stubble removal on the neck and lining everything up, but the shave is still satisfying. A couple laid back passes with the Rockwell and a hefty glug of the AS did me right, and a few well placed sprays of Azarro had a cloud of awesome trailing behind me.

The vacation really was just what I needed. I never really plan for much on my vacations, using the time to re-center and enjoy some time with family and friends. Had a few very pleasant meals out with friends that I rarely get a chance to see, and other than that I just spent the time decompressing. My brother-in-law did convince me to go mountain biking on some local trails with him, which I haven't done in about 20 years, and we had a great time after I got the big wipe-out out of the way at the beginning of the ride. It turns out that my balance isn't quite what it was 20 years and 40 pounds ago lol.

We still have to board up the windows in the house, which we're planning on doing tomorrow, and I may have a place to store the woodshop until such time as I can find a new place to set it up. Hopefully I can get out there before it gets too cold and get everything moved out.

Thanks for reading and have a great night!

Just got caught up on what happened. I'm glad everything turned out alright and you had a great vacation. Your cades are adorable.

Welcome back Eric! Glad the vacay was a good time with family.

Hoping this mess can all be put behind you soon!

Keeping the light on for you Eric (y)

Thanks Dave!

Wow, it's been way too long a stretch since I popped in here. My regular job has kept me busy and I've had a good amount of side work lately as well. I've finally gotten to the point where I can head to the old house and stay long enough to get things thrown out and packed up, and the wood shop is going into storage at the end of the week. That saddens me, but I have had enough spare time lately to break out the stones and get back to honing. My first attempt to put an edge on one of my straight razors(a Genco Head Barber) was a dismal failure, but I worked on a Shumate yesterday and it looks more promising. I'm using it tomorrow and have high hopes for it.

There have been a few new acquisitions of the fragrance variety, and I'll post those soon. I hope everyone is doing well!

Great to hear from you and that things are okay and just busy. Hope to see you around when you can (y)
Good to hear from you Eric!

Thanks guys!

Doing a little honing this afternoon. I recently pulled the trigger on two things I should have gotten a long time ago. An Atoma 400 diamond plate and...
603RYxzm.jpg

A Chosera 1000. Up until now I've been using a Norton 1000 for bevel setting. Wow, what a difference a quality stone makes! I'm in love with this thing, and have already put new edges on all the kitchen knives just for the fun of it. The main question now is, should I play around with my many natural stones, which I've never had any true success with(outside of the black Ark finisher), or stick with lapping film, which has always given me consistently excellent results? I really want to learn the naturals, but time is always enough of a factor that lapping film might be the name of the game for a while.

Thanks guys!

Doing a little honing this afternoon. I recently pulled the trigger on two things I should have gotten a long time ago. An Atoma 400 diamond plate and...
603RYxzm.jpg

A Chosera 1000. Up until now I've been using a Norton 1000 for bevel setting. Wow, what a difference a quality stone makes! I'm in love with this thing, and have already put new edges on all the kitchen knives just for the fun of it. The main question now is, should I play around with my many natural stones, which I've never had any true success with(outside of the black Ark finisher), or stick with lapping film, which has always given me consistently excellent results? I really want to learn the naturals, but time is always enough of a factor that lapping film might be the name of the game for a while.

I can completely relate. I am making the transition from film to Naniwa stones. Also have a Black Ark for a finisher.

Good to hear from you Eric! I just began trying out my new cotis(one BBW and one regular coticule). Other than my finisher I've been using Nortons with great results but the first 2 edges from the naturals are truly on another level. Can't wait to get to where I feel proficient with them.

Back