The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

There and Back Again, A Wet-Shaver's Tale

It’s really funny to think that soaps we used at one time that we considered elite at that time are now way down the list. Kind of strange but even Chris’s old stuff pales to his hemp oil stuff and there really isn’t that much difference.

Nice shave yesterday Eric! Even despite the issues! And seriously...what is up with citrus scented aftershaves and other fragrances that just don't last that long? Hope your weekend is going well!

Nice ... very nice!
Thanks Tim!
Nice shave choices today; makes up for the minor fluid loss!
Thanks Chris, I totally agree.
It’s really funny to think that soaps we used at one time that we considered elite at that time are now way down the list. Kind of strange but even Chris’s old stuff pales to his hemp oil stuff and there really isn’t that much difference.
Very true. I think it might be time to go through all the ones I've had for a long time and have barely used in ages.
Nice shave yesterday Eric! Even despite the issues! And seriously...what is up with citrus scented aftershaves and other fragrances that just don't last that long? Hope your weekend is going well!
Thanks Don! Sadly, Citrus notes are usually fleeting, which is whey they are usually the top notes. I've heard tell of some citrus frags that have good longevity, but wonder if they are unicorns.
Can we get an Amen please !!
Amen.
Seconded.

Thanks Don! Sadly, Citrus notes are usually fleeting, which is whey they are usually the top notes. I've heard tell of some citrus frags that have good longevity, but wonder if they are unicorns.
The only citrus scented something that I have found that has longevity is Florida Water...and you can't get rid of that scent! 🤪

I think it lights everyone up! But I am a glutton for punishment!

So am I. Just not that much lol.
Doesn't light me up and I love it.

giphy.gif

Need to find me a bottle!

Don't do it. It's a trap.

Straight razor shave #530

Razor: Feather SS
Blade: Kai Titan Mild(3)
Brush: TSC Legacy
Soap: B&M Behold The Whatsis!
Aftershave: B&M Behold The Whatsis!

EDT: Guerlain Habit Rouge

I had a completely different set up pulled out for today, but saw this soap at the last minute and decided to run with it. This is in B&M's Excelsior base, which is light years beyond their original and Glissant in terms of performance and post shave feel. The scent is a little hard to describe. The notes are listed as Grapefruit, Rose, Childhood Memories (a sweet, sugar-cookie sort of scent). This doesn't really sound appealing to me, but it smells a lot better then it sounds. The rose is very green to my nose, and both that and the grapefruit impart a sharpness to the scent that is toned down by the sugar cookie smell, which comes out more as the shave goes on. Like many Barrister & Mann scents this one is very original, and I could see it being pretty polarizing. It was released on what would have been Dr Suess's 104th birthday, and is a tribute to famous children's authors.

The shave went well, though I'm still getting a couple weepers on the upper lip. That has always been the most challenging part of my face, and I might skip a day and see how it does with a bit more growth. Nevertheless three passes left me with a very nice BBS, and a hefty glug of aftershave went on with just enough sting to wake me up the rest of the way.

Habit Rouge is great juice. Definitely a more mature scent(old man scent as @cmh737 would call it) with plenty of powder smell. I get good performance and above average longevity from it. I think I like Heritage more, but HR will stand on it's own easily.

afCJOlZ.jpg

Thanks for reading, and have a great day!

My parents lived next door to a whatsis. He would mow the grass shirtless and I swear it looked like he was wearing a sweater!

Great stuff, Eric! And outstanding photos!

And speaking of Guerlain's Habit Rouge EdT.......I've still got a bit of a sample from some vintage Habit Rouge EdT that I can send you. It, and the current version, are both excellent! I can't say that one is "better" than the other, and I like both. There are some differences however, with the most significant being that the vintage is much less powdery and has a bit more citrus than the current version. I think I actually prefer the vintage if I had to choose, but I'm perfectly content with the current version.

Soooo...how bout that 1st Anniversary brush for that Eric guy? 🧐
Lol don't remind me. I've been chipping away at a somewhat tricky restoration project for ages. Maybe when everything else is off my plate I'll get my brush made.
My parents lived next door to a whatsis. He would mow the grass shirtless and I swear it looked like he was wearing a sweater!
I think everyone has had a neighbor like that at least once in their life.
Great stuff, Eric! And outstanding photos!

And speaking of Guerlain's Habit Rouge EdT.......I've still got a bit of a sample from some vintage Habit Rouge EdT that I can send you. It, and the current version, are both excellent! I can't say that one is "better" than the other, and I like both. There are some differences however, with the most significant being that the vintage is much less powdery and has a bit more citrus than the current version. I think I actually prefer the vintage if I had to choose, but I'm perfectly content with the current version.
Thanks Chris! I'd love to try the vintage Habit Rouge. I like the idea of the balance swinging towards citrusy, and would probably love it.

Razor: Rockwell 6C
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Brush: Black Walnut synthetic
Soap: WSP Formula T Gaelic Tweed
Aftershave: WSP Formula T Gaelic Tweed

EDP: Creed Green Irish Tweed

Almost skipped today's shave, but decided to grab the Rockwell and get it in at the last minute. WSP's Gaelic Tweed is a GIT clone, and they did a very nice job with it. An easy two passes left me with a more than acceptable DFS. Since I am incapable of using a sparing amount of aftershave splash, a hefty dose went on my face and neck, and I was feeling good. I only have a sample of GIT right now, but I will be splurging on a full bottle. Several sprays were the perfect end to a great shave, and off to work I went.

Thanks for reading and have a great day!

Almost skipped today's shave, but decided to grab the Rockwell and get it in at the last minute. WSP's Gaelic Tweed is a GIT clone, and they did a very nice job with it. An easy two passes left me with a more than acceptable DFS. Since I am incapable of using a sparing amount of aftershave splash, a hefty dose went on my face and neck, and I was feeling good. I only have a sample of GIT right now, but I will be splurging on a full bottle. Several sprays were the perfect end to a great shave, and off to work I went.

Thanks for reading and have a great day!
Nice shave.

I love Gaelic Tweed AS! Have a full bottle on the shelf. Two splashes of that and I smell good all day.

Back