The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

There and Back Again, A Wet-Shaver's Tale

Cvargo said:
Good stuff Eric. I talk with Dave regularly. The man is busy for sure. He needs a vacation.
You aren't kidding lol.

Xenostr8shaver said:
Good Stuff Eric and Thanks for the reveal, I was trying to be incognito, LOL
Lol, my pleasure Dave.

Eric, you will have to capture the infamous Axe Shave incident here, if nothing else, for posterity sake. Conversely, I can ship you one for a repeat!

McVeyMac said:
Eric, you will have to capture the infamous Axe Shave incident here, if nothing else, for posterity sake. Conversely, I can ship you one for a repeat!

he posted a link in his introduction post on the newbie and intro thread

I'm kinda with ya Eric! Having a rough time covering it all and doing it all poorly.

McVeyMac said:
DocHoliday0831 said:
he posted a link in his introduction post on the newbie and intro thread
I can post it here as well, and will do so when I'm awake enough to do it right. I've considered a repeat a couple of times, Walt. I bounce back and forth between thinking it might be fun to do it again, and believing I pushed my luck doing it once lol.

Majorrich said:
I'm kinda with ya Eric! Having a rough time covering it all and doing it all poorly.

Fortunately we are among friends and gentlemen, who are very understanding of occasional absences.

Straight razor shave #427

Pre-shave: AoS Ocean Kelp pre-shave gel
Brush: Rudy Vey Egg w/Shavemac knot
Razor: Feather SS
Blade: ProGuard
Shaving Cream: AoS Ocean Kelp
Aftershave: AoS Ocean Kelp balm
EDC: Proraso Azur Lime

Doing an afternoon shift side job today, and was able to sleep in an extra hour before guilt over my laziness compelled me to get out of bed. AoS can get a bad rap over some of their business practices(and the fact that they hire people who know nothing about the products they sell), but they put out an excellent shaving cream. The set was PIFed to me by a friend from another forum and it is definitely purchase-worthy when it runs out. I've kind of been on the fence about this brush since I got it, and can't remember for the life of me which Shavemac knot is in it, but it matched the color scheme and that was good enough for me this morning.

A nice soak in warm water while the pre-shave ritual was going on, and a small dip-and-twist in the cream, and the brush was ready to go. The ergonomics of the handle are kind of "meh", but that isn't a deal breaker for me. I think what I didn't like about it was that it wasn't great at loading soaps, but it worked beautifully on this cream. Nice and soft with good flow-through, it whipped up a fantastic lather after a little extra hydration. Took my time with the shave this morning, and three passes left me with a marvelous HCBBSG. I'm not even sure if the balm is necessary with this cream, but I patted some on for the extra scent, and 9 Vassily's of Azur Lime left me a smooth and happy man.

Looks like there is a lot of catching up to do, in and out of the journals. Hopefully I'll be able to get to it this evening or tomorrow. Have a great day all!

Great shave, read, and picture Eric!

I've always heard that AOS products are good, just over priced.

Nice read Eric! I have yet to try any of the AOS products, but may have to remedy that soon.

My wife gave me an AoS cream for Valentine’s Day. It is really really good stuff. But Proraso SB is almost as good but way better value

DocHoliday0831 said:
Nice shave and beautiful pic Eric!
Majorrich said:
Great shave’n pic Eric!
clyde72 said:
Great shave, read, and picture Eric!

I've always heard that AOS products are good, just over priced.
Dagwoodz said:
Nice read Eric! I have yet to try any of the AOS products, but may have to remedy that soon.
Quijote said:
Great shave and beautiful picture.
NurseDave said:
Ditto, that’s a sweet pic
DocHoliday0831 said:
My wife gave me an AoS cream for Valentine’s Day. It is really really good stuff. But Proraso SB is almost as good but way better value
Cvargo said:
Good stuff Eric.

Thanks guys! AoS is worth checking out. I haven't tried their non-tallow soaps, though @cmh737 says they are excellent performers, but their creams are quality. I'd put them in the same league as the Proraso Single Blade line as well, though, as TJ mentioned, you do get more bang for your buck with Proraso.

Straight razor shave #428

Pre-shave: Hot towel
Brush: Shubbyu
Razor: Shumate 333
Soap: WSP Formula T Gaelic Tweed
Aftershave: WSP Gaelic Tweed
EDP: WSP Gaelic Tweed

This was yesterday's shave. Outstanding green themed line-up, and three passes and some clean up left me with a grail-worthy BBS. No shave today, but get to try out something new tomorrow from today's Mail Call.

I hope everyone is doing well, and will try to catch up in the other journals soon. Thanks for reading and have a great day!

Catching up Eric, I agree the AOS creams and soaps are good albeit overpriced for what they are. Nice reads. Nice mail call as well. Dont be shy with the water on the SMDF

Back