The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

There and Back Again, A Wet-Shaver's Tale

Straight razor shave #421

Pre-shave: Hot towel
Brush: Maggard 2-band
Razor: Feather SS
Blade: ProGuard
Soap: Fine Platinum
Aftershave: Fine Platinum
EDT: Fine Platinum

Woke up early this morning and couldn't get back to sleep, so I figured I'd take advantage of the time and have a leisurely shave. The Fine EDT showed up the other day, and I've been itching to give it a test run. It smells identical to the aftershave, minus the menthol, and is one of my favorite scents. Platinum was the first aftershave I purchased when I got into traditional wet shaving, and will always have a place in the den.

The Maggard brush whipped up a fantastic lather in little time. Fine is easy to lather; just load the brush, dip half of it in water, and let the suds fly. It is a very thirsty soap, and is pretty difficult to over-hydrate. The Feather skated over my skin, and a very pleasant BBS was achieved in two laid back passes. I may have been a bit heavy handed during some of it, as there was a bit of sting when the aftershave was splashed on, but it passed in a couple seconds and I was ready for the EDT.

I went with three Vassily's of the Platinum EDT and headed out for the day. I love the scent, but was a bit disappointed in the longevity of this frag. It faded completely in about two hours, which was kind of a bummer. I still think it's worth the price, but will need to get a little atomizer to touch up the scent throughout the day in the future.

Thanks for reading and have a great day all!

Nice write-up Eric. Bummer about the longevity of the frag, as I was looking at the AB EdT they released so as not to have to spend the $$ on Rive Gauche. Good call on the portable atomizer...

Good stuff here! I too have been eyeballing the new frag line at Fine. The Platinum aftershave lasts about 4 hours on me, I would hope the frag would last longer than that.

Dagwoodz said:
Nice write-up Eric. Bummer about the longevity of the frag, as I was looking at the AB EdT they released so as not to have to spend the $$ on Rive Gauche. Good call on the portable atomizer...

Thanks Josh. I was looking at the AB as well, but I'm not sure at this point.

Cvargo said:
Good stuff here! I too have been eyeballing the new frag line at Fine. The Platinum aftershave lasts about 4 hours on me, I would hope the frag would last longer than that.

I would hope so too. There are not a lot of frags that last for very long on my skin for some reason, and hopefully others will have a better experience with this one than I did.

DocHoliday0831 said:
Haven’t tried the Platinum yet maybe a bit I just got a rather nice size mail call.

I saw, and it was a very nice mail call. The Platinum is a fantastic scent.

Quijote said:
Great shave and picture. I love the Platinum.

Thanks Don. It's good stuff, and the performance of the shave soap is up there with some of the best.

Straight razor shave #422

Brush: Sorrentino Barzini
Razor: CV Heljestrand MK31
Soap: CBL Russian Tea
Aftershave: Sudsy Soapery Bay & Citrus
EDT: L"Instant De Guerlain

Got a fantastic Mail Call yesterday. A bevy of samples from CBLindsay. Several soaps, and two creams. I was even more excited when I saw that Russian Tea was among them. I have some of the Strop Shoppe version, which is unobtanium, and love the scent. Out of all the straights in the den, the CVH was least likely to need a refresh(Swedish steel holds an edge darn near forever), so I chose it for this shave.

I haven't compared this sample to my tub of Strop Shoppe Russian Tea yet, but my initial impression is that is is extremely close, with maybe just a bit more tea scent than the original, and it is outstanding. I pressed a sample of it into my favorite lather bowl, which was a gift from @Dagwoodz a ways back, and got to it. The Barzini did it's thing, and a delicious smelling lather was churned out. The CVH has held it's edge since it's last little touch up, and three passes and some clean up granted me an amazing HCBBSG. A dab of SS Bay & Citrus(another favorite scent) was not needed, but it capped off a marvelous shave nicely. Three Vassily's of LIDG and I was in my happy place as I headed in to work. The purchase of this juice was inspired by @cmh737, who has given it high marks in numerous posts. One of the best buys ever for me. It's a desert island frag for certain.

As for the performance of the soap: It's a CBL soap. Many artisan soapmakers across the nation who charge for their products shed tears of frustrated envy that a guy who makes soap for fun has put their best efforts to shame. Top tier all the way.

Thanks for reading and have a great day!

Smattayu said:
As for the performance of the soap: It's a CBL soap. Many artisan soapmakers across the nation who charge for their products shed tears of frustrated envy that a guy who makes soap for fun has put their best efforts to shame. Top tier all the way.

Preach it brother!

Smattayu said:

Thanks for reading and have a great day!

Amen! Some of the best easily

Wonderful write-up today Eric, and great shave. The Mk*31 is a remarkable shaver...one of mine are on deck tomorrow. Can't agree more about Chris's soaps!

Quijote said:
Great shave Eric.
NurseDave said:
Preach it brother!
DocHoliday0831 said:
Amen! Some of the best easily
Dagwoodz said:
Wonderful write-up today Eric, and great shave. The Mk*31 is a remarkable shaver...one of mine are on deck tomorrow. Can't agree more about Chris's soaps!

Thanks guys! No shave today, but I'll be using another CBL tomorrow.

Straight razor shave #423

Brush: Black Walnut Tuxedo
Razor: Filarmonica No 13
Soap: SV Manna Di Sicilia
Aftershave: SV Manna Di Sicilia
EDP: Bvlgari Black Orient

Had an earlier start to this Sunday than usual, but made sure there was still plenty of time for the shave. The Fili, a gift from @cmh737, was on deck, and it's been a minute since I used some SV so MDS in the newest formulation was called up.

Man, what a fantastic shave! The Fili was smooth as warm butter, and three passes with a little clean up left me with one of the best shaves I've ever gotten. HCBBSG without a doubt, and I'm still BBS over eight hours later. A few drops of the AS, and three Vassily's of Black Orient(still one of my favorite scents ever) had me practically skipping out the door.

It's kind of funny that my earliest experiences with the post shave of vegan soaps(MdC and a couple others) turned me completely off to them initially, yet three of my absolute favorite soaps(Sudsy Soapery, Saponificio Varesino, and PannaCrema Nuavia) are all vegan, and have some of the best post shave feels of any soap in the den. Yet the memories of the almost painfully dry skin caused by the first couple still make me leery of trying any vegan shave soap that I haven't already vetted. Taking a look at a couple that I haven't tried yet, but am interested in, put that in my head.

Thanks for reading and have a Blessed Palm Sunday!

Back