The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

There and Back Again, A Wet-Shaver's Tale

Agree, Pythian Way is a very light scent, and nothing lasts past the Shave so it doesn’t conflicted at all with the aftershave...... but man does it smell good when you are using it. It’s odd, how something so light, can smell so good!

It is odd. It's also odd that, as light as it is, you can smell it throughout the shave and don't get nose-blind to it after a couple minutes.

Great Shave Eric! And I'm looking forward to your thoughts on the Rockwell.
Thanks Don! I used it this morning, and will try to post on it soon.

Nice shave Eric ! Have their Silk Road coming now

Nice! Silk Road is the other Paladin soap I have. I don't like the scent as much as Pythian Way, though it is a little more pronounced.
Nice Paladin Shave brother
Thanks Dave! There are some soaps that you can never go wrong with, and Paladin is one of them. And the balm! It's excellent stuff.
Brother if you like that Rockwell as much as I did you are gonna be stoked!
I'm looking forward to trying the different plates.

Good shave Eric!
Thanks Chad!

SOTD 10/18/2018

Pre-shave: Hot towel
Brush: TSC Legacy
Razor: Rockwell 6s
Blade: Astra SP(1)
Soap: The Chambers Black
Aftershave: The Chambers Black balm
EDT: Valentino Uomo

I was excited to find the Rockwell 6s from NurseDave in the mail yesterday. Two of the things I noticed immediately when pulling it from the box were it's weight and the knurling on the handle. It's a hefty little beast, which I love, and the knurling completely removes any fear of getting soap on the handle. It's almost laughable how easy it is to maintain a solid grip on this thing. It's going to be several days of shaves with either The Chambers or WSP Formula T soaps, since they are among my favorite soaps in terms of both performance and scent quality/variety, and are among the easiest in the den to get a consistently great lather with. I decided to start with the #3 base plate, and a fresh Astra SP was loaded in before the whisker whacking commenced.

I believe that Black is based off of a cologne, but am not entirely sure which. It is a vanilla-heavy scent that I love, especially with the cooler weather we're having. The SOS is 5/5, and it makes face lathering even more enjoyable than usual. This is a scent I can take my time with. A fantastic lather was whipped up, and it was time to see how this razor performed. I can count on one hand the amount of times I've used a DE in the last several months, so there is going to be a bit of an adjustment period, but I was very impressed with this razor. The #3 plate is on the mild side, though still quite efficient, and the weight of the razor combined with the grip feels good in the hand. There was not a lot of growth from yesterday's shave, so I went with 2 passes and a bit of clean up. The result was a very pleasant DFS+, though I did get a little heavy handed on my upper lip. No blood, but a bit of irritation, which is also the hallmark of the first shave with an Astra SP. A nice shot of the balm soothed it quickly, and three Vassily's of Valentino Uomo had me firmly in my happy place.

I was digging through my frag sample drawer yesterday, and had forgotten half of what was in there. Uomo caught my attention and I went in for a test spray. I was digging it right off the bat. A slightly powdery bergamot opening, with a heart of smooth coffee, chocolate, and hazelnut. It gives way eventually to a bit of woodsy leather, but stays a slightly powdery gourmand scent throughout it's life on my skin. I might go full bottle with this eventually, but it'll be a while, as I ordered a couple bottles of Penhaligon's the other day and another variety order yesterday. I am officially fragged out for the time being.

Many thanks to NurseDave for the use of the razor. Thanks for reading and have a great day!

Not a bad start with it. Hopefully tomorrow smooths out a bit for you. Enjoy!

I do like a vanilla scent, but can't say that I have any soaps with that note. This one is intriguing.

Not a bad start with it. Hopefully tomorrow smooths out a bit for you. Enjoy!

I do like a vanilla scent, but can't say that I have any soaps with that note. This one is intriguing.

Thanks Dave! It is a fantastic scent, though pretty simple.

High class
1f60e.png
Thanks Chris.

Looks like an enjoyable shave yesterday. Eric.
It was indeed.

BOOM! Now you can smell like a real gentleman!
Well...sometimes lol.

You'll still remember us simple folk now that you're all Hoity Toity right ?

Who are you again?
1f60b.png

SOTD 1021/2018

Pre-shave: Hot towel
Brush: Wolf Whiskers w/Envy White knot
Razor: Rockwell 6s
Blade: Astra SP(2)
Soap: WSP Formula T Neroli
Aftershave: Paladin balm
EDT: Bulgari Aqua Amara

Second use of the Rockwell 6s, and I used the #4 base plate. It felt very natural, and gave me a lovely three pass BBS with little effort and one small nick at the corner of my mouth. I'm really liking this razor, and can see an eventual purchase if it continues to impress like it did today.

The WSP Neroli was a limited edition, and the scent matches the name. Heavy scent strength, as most of WSP's offerings are, and excellent performance. The Aqua Amara paired beautifully with it. I love this EDT, and heard recently that is is being discontinued. Another bottle might be required before it becomes unobtanium. It's definitely better as a summer scent, but works well year round.

Thanks for reading and have a great day!

Back