The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

There and Back Again, A Wet-Shaver's Tale

Something seems missing...

For now....
I think you are going to totally dig that knot!
1f44d.png
It's been a while since I got a new boar. I'm looking forward to giving it a trial run.

I Know where that may be going, LOL

Lol you might.

Straight razor shave #524

Pre-shave: Hot towel
Brush: Rudy Vey Egg w/Shavemac badger
Razor: Feather SS
Blade: ProGuard
Soap: The Club Hemingway 1898+1
Aftershave: The Club Hemingway 1898+1
EDP: Bvlgari Man in Black

This soap was a blind buy a while back, and I was initially pleasantly surprised that it performed as well as it did. It would be a Tier 1 box 1 or 2 using Chad's system. Plenty slick, very nice residual slickness, and marvelous post shave feel. It can still be bought under a different name. I think it's called The Novelist now, and they are using a different formula.

The shave was excellent. Fantastic HCBBSG in three passes with a bit of clean up. A little of the AS goes a long way, and two Vassily's of MiB capped it off beautifully.

Thanks for reading and have a great night!

Straight razor shave #525

Brush: Maggard's 2-band badger
Cream: Biotique Bio Palmyra spa shave cream
Aftershave: Pitralon Classic
EDT: Quorum

It's been a month of rarely used soaps and creams so far, and this one is probably the least used out of every software product I own. I think I've used it once before. I had never heard of it before coming across a post on it at the other site way back, and went with the blind buy. The scent is very mild, and reminds me of apple peels. The SOS is maybe 1 out of 5, so this cream can be used with any AS/Frag combo.

A short note on lather in general; I've been spending a more time getting the lather just the way I want it lately, and have realized how impatient I had become with that part of the shave. I'm probably spending at least a couple minutes on it now, and the final product has improved a fair bit. Today was no exception. A quick dip and twist of the brush gave me plenty of product, and gradual introduction of water combined with vigorous brushing and painting strokes gave me a fine surface with which to practice the highly underrated craft of whisker assassination. This cream isn't the slickest ever, but it was still more than good enough for a straight shave, and I'd probably rate it at Tier 1 Box 3 in terms of performance. Three passes and a little clean up left me with a pleasing BBS, and a hefty splash of Pitralon Classic added a lovely scent to the mix. I took my time with this shave, and was pleased to note that there was absolutely no lather degradation. The lather was exactly the same consistency at the end of the shave as it had been when I put blade to skin.The post shave of this cream is where it really shines, and my face felt smooth and hydrated. Two Vassily's of Quorum(a highly underrated fragrance in my opinion) had me out the door in high spirits.

Thanks for reading and have a great day!

Lather, the oil that makes the shave machine go!

Good stuff Eric. I’ve also come to appreciate taking proper time to build a good lather.

Lather, the oil that makes the shave machine go!

Good stuff Eric. I’ve also come to appreciate taking proper time to build a good lather.
Thanks Chris! It's amazing how the basics get away from you sometimes, but rebuilding the foundation of a fine shave is a great way to bring the magic back.

I seem to recall the Bio Palmyra being a pretty good shaving cream.

Nice photos!
Thanks Chris! It is a good cream. I'd recommend it as a basically scentless base that you could layer any AS/fragrance over.

Great photo, Read and Shave ERREEK
Lol thanks Dave!

Nice shave and pic !

Thanks Dave!

Well, I hopped on the Maggards site this morning and checked their clearance page. This is normally a move that puts me at odds with my wallet, and today was no exception. Lo and behold, Penhaligons was in there! It was touch and go for a minute, since even with the reduced price they were a bit more than I normally spend on a fragrance, but I ended up pulling the trigger on Sartorial and Blenheim Bouquet. I was a little bummed that they didn't have Halfeti, which is probably my favorite Pens scent to date, but I consoled myself with the two they did have that I enjoy. Sartorial is a lot more situational for me, but I will get plenty of use out of both of them.

Straight razor shave #526

Brush: Black Walnut Tuxedo
Soap: Paladin Pythian Way
Aftershave: Paladin Balm
EDT: Varvatos Dark Rebel

I wanted a no-brainer good shave this morning, so the Paladin was broken out. It's sad that once they're gone they're gone, but the two tubs of soap and two bottles of balm will last a good long time. I get very little scent out of this one, so it's a pretty good blank slate that will go with just about anything, and Dark Rebel was the frag of the day. One of the exciting things about the cold weather coming up is the various fragrances that I haven't been able to wear since last winter coming out to play, as well as the new ones that are best used in the cooler months.

Outstanding three pass HCBBSG today. From the leisurely face lather to the last stroke of the blade across skin, it was smooth and laid back. One spritz of Dark Rebel added to the balm got the scent part of the shave kicked off, and three Vassily's of the frag finished it nicely. I really like this juice. It lives up to it's name pretty well, and is dark and slightly grungy, though a bit sweeter than I usually prefer. Longevity is decent at around 5-6 hours, and there is not a lot of projection. It stays close to the skin for most of that time.

It'll be a little while before I get another straight shave in. NurseDave was kind enough to loan me his Rockwell 6s. It came in the mail today, and I'll be putting it through it's paces. Many thanks, Dave!

Thanks for reading and have a great night!

Agree, Pythian Way is a very light scent, and nothing lasts past the Shave so it doesn’t conflicted at all with the aftershave...... but man does it smell good when you are using it. It’s odd, how something so light, can smell so good!

Back