The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

There and Back Again, A Wet-Shaver's Tale

Glad the CBL lived up to your expectations Eric. That CBL is crazy going into this, but he sure did put a lot of R&D into it. He might as well try to reap some benefits.

Nice shave and pic Eric
Nice Eric! Glad the CBL is a winner for you!

Oh, big congrats on 500!
Good stuff Eric. Congrats on hitting the 500 that is quite the feat!
1/2 century mark, not too shabby sir.
Glad the CBL lived up to your expectations Eric. That CBL is crazy going into this, but he sure did put a lot of R&D into it. He might as well try to reap some benefits.
Outstanding set up and photo, Eric! And a belated congrats on #500!!
Congratulations on hitting 500 Eric! Rosa Bourbonia is a great scent!
Very nice on meeting that 500 milestone!

Thanks guys!

Work continues to be busy. I received the kind of promotion that comes with plenty of responsibility, yet little in the way of benefits and extra remuneration(so far).

The Feather SS with a ProGuard blade is still my daily driver, and it's been a great choice over all.

I knew I wasn't going to want to get up early to get a shave in this morning, so it was an evening shave yesterday. The weather has cooled down considerably, and Tabac was calling my name. It has been a few months since I cracked that container open, and the scent wafting from the jar was like an old friend giving me a bro hug. Sadly, the shave went downhill from there. The first pass went well, but I had a lot on my mind and let myself be distracted for the rest of it. There were no life threatening injuries or facial sashimi, but there were a LOT of little nicks and blood spots on my neck and jawline by the end of the third pass. The end results was a BBS, but the lingering pain made me wish I'd stopped at two passes. Ah well, that is the beauty of the shave; you can always redeem today's bad shave with tomorrow's good one.

I hope everyone is doing well. Thanks for reading and have a great evening!

Ooh! That does not sound like a fun shave. The good thing is if you wait a day or two...then it's a blank slate. I understand how busy can get and the added responsibility with out the perks. Just keep on keeping on, and life will take care of you. In the meantime know that we love you like a brother around here and really appreciate your hard work!

Sorry about the carnage. Hope things settle down for ya !

Thanks Dave! The carnage is healed and ready for tomorrow's redemption shave lol.

Hope things settle down for you soon brother!
Thanks TJ!

Ooh! That does not sound like a fun shave. The good thing is if you wait a day or two...then it's a blank slate. I understand how busy can get and the added responsibility with out the perks. Just keep on keeping on, and life will take care of you. In the meantime know that we love you like a brother around here and really appreciate your hard work!

Thanks Don, I love all of you as well! I hope I wasn't misunderstood. I had the option of not taking the position, but this work is important to me and I think I'm a good fit for the job I've taken on.

I started on a set of buffalo horn scales for a Feather DX today, and quickly realized that, having not worked with horn for some time, I had forgotten something very important about it. It reeks like burning hair when taking bulk material off on the belt sander. This only makes sense since it is made of keratin, but it was still pretty bad. Add to that the fact that the vacuum port on the belt sander is broken, and there was a nice coating of dust over everything in The Dungeon(myself included) by the time I was done. I grabbed the shop-vac and the Lampe Berger, and the dust and smell were taken care of before too long. I didn't give it another thought until I got in the shower a little while ago. As soon as the water hit my hair, all the dust that had settled in it released it's stench at once. It took a few shampoo and rinse cycles until I was satisfied, but I'm pretty sure the smell is gone....or I'm just used to it and will get a lot of strange looks tomorrow. I took a pic of the roughed out scales.

Congrats on the promotion, Eric, even though the responsibilities part seems to outweigh the benefits part right now.

And I would never have thought that there would be a strong smell from working with horn - I had to chuckle at that story.
1f60e.png

Congrats on the promotion, Eric, even though the responsibilities part seems to outweigh the benefits part right now.

And I would never have thought that there would be a strong smell from working with horn - I had to chuckle at that story.
1f60e.png

Thanks Chris! The smell was crazy strong. I probably could have mitigated it with a lighter touch on the belt sander, but I had 1/4" of material to lose on each side and was impatient.

Congrats on the promo! Just signs of better things to come your way my man!

Thanks Tom!

Pre-shave: Bloom water w/Hot towel
Brush: Stirling Boar
Razor: Injectah!
Soap: Sudsy Soapery Citrus & Bay
Aftershave: Sudsy Soapery Bay & Citrus balm
EDT: Fendi Fan Di Fendi

I plan to break out a few soaps that I haven't used in some time for the next few shaves. First on the list was this delightfully scented offering from Sudsy Soapery. I have enjoyed a few of their products for a while. Their soap is a very good performer, and the scent of this one is just amazing.

I haven't used a boar in ages, and I'm never sure why I wait so long between uses when I get around to pulling one off the shelf. The Stirling pulled plenty of product from the tub in short order, and I took my time face lathering to get it just the way I wanted it. The injector took a minute to get used to, since I haven't used it in some time, but it all came back eventually. I don't know how many shaves are on this blade, but it was a very nice combination of sharp and smooth, and three passes with a little clean up left me with a BBS. The SS balm is one of those that takes an almost ridiculously tiny amount to do it's job, and any more than that seems to leave my skin feeling greasy. A dip of just the fingertip into the jar was just the right amount, and left my skin feeling fantastic. Three Vassily's of FdF, and I was out the door.

I've used Fan Di Fendi many times since the blind buy that put it in my possession, and I get a kick out of how many compliments it garners for such a reasonably priced fragrance. It opens with a mild citrus and a blast of Basil, Cardamom, and a bit of pepper. The spices stay present for the entire 8 hours or so of it's life on my skin, and some leather makes itself known during the dry down. This is a masculine frag all the way, and really shines in Autumn. The day started out warm and humid, but I chose it based on the weather report, which had us in the high 50s by noon. Love...this...juice! That said, if you are not a fan of Cardamom in your cologne, it's best if you pass this one by.

Thanks for reading and have a great night!

Great shave! I used that soap just the other day with Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum. Really great pairing! I’d never done a full bay rum shave before, it was quite nice!

I Love Cardamom! It's such a wonderful scent. You are absolutely right about the SS balm. You just need a ridiculously small amount to do the job. I have a container of the Sandalwood and Myrrh and I don't think it will ever run empty! Great Shave Eric!

Great shave! I used that soap just the other day with Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum. Really great pairing! I’d never done a full bay rum shave before, it was quite nice!
Thanks Chris! I used to use Bootleggers Bay Rum with this soap, but I finally broke down and got the matching balm last year. I love VIBR as well.

Nice shave Eric
Thanks Dave!

I Love Cardamom! It's such a wonderful scent. You are absolutely right about the SS balm. You just need a ridiculously small amount to do the job. I have a container of the Sandalwood and Myrrh and I don't think it will ever run empty! Great Shave Eric!

Thanks Don! I've got the Sandalwood and Myrrh as well. I've also noticed that the SoS of their balms are up there.

No shave this morning, but I did get to witness a sunrise that put a smile on my face while driving a work crew out to Davisburg. Apologies for the poor pic quality. It was snapped off through the windshield on the spur of the moment. A morning like this one makes even Flint look good.

Back