The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

There and Back Again, A Wet-Shaver's Tale

Good to hear from you Eric! I remember all to well those 16 hour + days! My current job doesn't come with much overtime.

Good to see work let up enough to give you time to check in Eric...fully aware of how those long days can wear you down real quick. Hopefully it continues to ease up for you!
Good check in Eric! I do indeed hope you get some time for yourself soon!
Good to hear from you Eric! I remember all to well those 16 hour + days! My current job doesn't come with much overtime.

Thanks guys! Our big event is on Saturday, and once that is done I can finally get some time to wind down.

I had mentioned a while ago about a friend that was sending me some straight razors. Well, I got them(and several other items) yesterday and with the amount of stuff there it would have taken a while to take individual pics, so I recorded an unboxing video. Ok, it all came in a bag, but I'll call it an unboxing.

Have a great night all!

What a great haul and a fun opening! You have a very generous friend.

Have fun!

Great stuff Eric, have fun with those!

Man that Multi Blade is pretty cool, it’ll be neat to see if it’s a decent shaver. Does the blade look honeable?

What a great haul and a fun opening! You have a very generous friend.

Have fun!

Thanks KJ! He is generous. He hooked me up with a travel Tech when I first got started, and has kept an eye out since then.

Awesome Eric, Thanks for sharing

Thanks Dave!

Great stuff Eric, have fun with those!

Man that Multi Blade is pretty cool, it’ll be neat to see if it’s a decent shaver. Does the blade look honeable?

Thanks Chris! The multi blade looks a lot like a frameback, so I imagine it could be honed. I haven't looked for replacement blades yet, though I expect they are probably rare.

OOOh an unbagging! Adding to the morning Queue!

EDIT:

FUn unbagging! lots of goodies in there! The ivory looks awesome!

Man those are some really awesome items! It was like a mystery box...!!!

There were some gems in there. Even the Old Spice is still good.

OOOh an unbagging! Adding to the morning Queue!

EDIT:

FUn unbagging! lots of goodies in there! The ivory looks awesome!
I’m pretty sure it’s bone, but it’s still awesome, and the scales are in amazing shape.

C-MON razors before they were C-MON, very cool. Great haul Eric.

Thanks Walt! The older Monkhouse is going to clean up nicely. 5 minutes on the buffing wheel took all the rust off, and there is very little putting underneath.

WOW nice to have friends like that! Great unbagging.

FYI The Dead best and the faux tortoise shell razors, the rust looks like what is called cell rot, IMHO. This is cause by celluloid scales off gassing, not a question of if but when they will do that. This can migrate to other razors, so quarantine those two for sure. Be sure to double check me on this for sure, but in the mean time better safe than sorry.

WOW nice to have friends like that! Great unbagging.

FYI The Dead best and the faux tortoise shell razors, the rust looks like what is called cell rot, IMHO. This is cause by celluloid scales off gassing, not a question of if but when they will do that. This can migrate to other razors, so quarantine those two for sure. Be sure to double check me on this for sure, but in the mean time better safe than sorry.
Thanks craig! I have heard that about the celluloid scales, but this is my first time experiencing it. It's almost funny how good the spine looks, then you go to open it, and things just start crumbling lol.

Those are some awesome razors that you acquired, Eric!!
Nice haul, Eric!
Kinda late in here but congraats on the great haul!

Thanks guys!

Straight razor shave #508

Pre-shave: Hot towel
Razor: Feather SS
Blade: ProGuard(1)
Brush: TSC Legacy
Soap: CBL Rosa Bourbonia
EDT: Claude Montana Graphite

Sad to say that straight razor shave #500 came and went, and I'm not even sure what set up I used for it lol. I had to check back in the journals, and it's a little scary how long it's been since I posted an SOTD. This morning's soap choice made it a requirement though. I was beyond thrilled when I heard that Chris had joined the artisan soap maker marketplace. I still have enough of the samples that he's sent over the last couple years to shave for a month with nothing but CBL, but I still had to place an order, and it won't be my last one. I'm not going to lie; I chose the Rosa Bourbonia for my first order mostly because there weren't many left and I wanted to make sure I had a tub. It was a close call, and Tabacaveg almost won the first tub award, but Rosa won in the end.

The blade in the SS has been tugging a bit the last few shaves, so I popped a fresh one in and got ready to go. The soap was quite soft, and it took barely any load time to get more than enough on the brush for several more passes than I would be making. Much water was added, and suds were making their way onto the mirror by the time I had the lather where I wanted it. Regarding the scent; it is a somewhat spicy rose, and I was enjoying every minute of having it fill the shave den. The scent strength was up there, but was not overwhelming, and I could smell it throughout the shave and beyond.

I grabbed the Feather and went to work. The soap's performance more than lived up to my expectations, and was plenty slick with lots of residual slickness. Three passes with minor clean up left me with a fantastic HCBBSG, and let me say that the post shave on this soap is outstanding. It is extremely rare that I will opt out of aftershave, but my face felt so good after the cold water rinse that I had no desire to use an AS. Three Vassily's of Graphite added the lovely pencil shaving goodness to the lingering spicy rose from the soap, and I skipped off to work a happy man.

Thanks for reading, and have a great day!

Back