The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

There and Back Again, A Wet-Shaver's Tale

Glad to see you stop in. From what you have said lately, it seems that the vacation is due.

Glad that you're feeling better, Eric. And no phone calls during your upcoming vacation will be most excellent!

That is too Cool!
Glad to see you stop in. From what you have said lately, it seems that the vacation is due.
Glad that you're feeling better, Eric. And no phone calls during your upcoming vacation will be most excellent!

Thanks guys! Vacation starts two weeks from today. It's been a few years since I've felt this burned out, and it is overdue. I've had a little more time for TSC, though I've still neglected my journal. The shaves are still happening and hopefully I can get back to documenting them soon. Have a blessed Sunday all!

Good stuff Eric I’m all caught up now
Thanks TJ. Not a whole lot to catch up on, but I might be able to post a little more regularly soon lol.

A week away from being constantly linked in sounds amazing, Eric!

And by the way... I love your signature quote!

Thanks Brad!

Ok, to the Mail Calls I got a week or so ago...first is an awesome PIF from Dagwoodz:

First off, a full tub of Declaration Grooming soap and Chatillon Lux post-shave salve in their collaborative scent: Gratiot League Square. SOS on this stuff is pretty high, and the scent starts with a punch in the nose of leather. After a second notes of tobacco, clove, and nutmeg show through, and vanilla, vetiver, and amber if you let it set long enough to shave with it. I've used it once, and the performance is just what I'd expect from Declaration; outstanding. It'll probably be a while before I can use it again though. This is an Autumn/Winter scent if I've ever smelled one. Using it in the weather we'll be getting for the next few months would probably knock me out lol.

Josh also sent a sample of A&E Warrior of Howling Fjord. I used it this morning, and it performed beautifully. The scent reminds me a lot of WSP's Matterhorn, which is a clone of Creed's Silver Mountain Water, though maybe a little...fruitier is the only word I can come up with.

Then there is the decant of Penhaligons Endymion Concentre. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm looking at the notes and trying to find something I can use it with. Many thanks Josh, this was a very generous PIF!

The other Mail Call was a couple frags that were blind buys:

Bulgari Aqua Amara and Karl Lagerfeld Bois De Vetiver. I saw a random review of the Bois De Vetiver and it was enough to add it to my order of Aqua Amara, which is a frag I've had in the cart a few times over the last year or so but had never pulled the trigger on. I've used the Aqua Amara, and love it! There will be a more comprehensive review sometime soon, but this one is right in my wheelhouse. I've only test sprayed the Bois De Vetiver on my wrist, but it shows definite promise.

Yard work time. Have a fantastic evening!

Thanks TJ. Not a whole lot to catch up on, but I might be able to post a little more regularly soon lol.
Thanks Brad!

Ok, to the Mail Calls I got a week or so ago...first is an awesome PIF from Dagwoodz:

First off, a full tub of Declaration Grooming soap and Chatillon Lux post-shave salve in their collaborative scent: Gratiot League Square. SOS on this stuff is pretty high, and the scent starts with a punch in the nose of leather. After a second notes of tobacco, clove, and nutmeg show through, and vanilla, vetiver, and amber if you let it set long enough to shave with it. I've used it once, and the performance is just what I'd expect from Declaration; outstanding. It'll probably be a while before I can use it again though. This is an Autumn/Winter scent if I've ever smelled one. Using it in the weather we'll be getting for the next few months would probably knock me out lol.

Josh also sent a sample of A&E Warrior of Howling Fjord. I used it this morning, and it performed beautifully. The scent reminds me a lot of WSP's Matterhorn, which is a clone of Creed's Silver Mountain Water, though maybe a little...fruitier is the only word I can come up with.

Then there is the decant of Penhaligons Endymion Concentre. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm looking at the notes and trying to find something I can use it with. Many thanks Josh, this was a very generous PIF!

The other Mail Call was a couple frags that were blind buys:

Bulgari Aqua Amara and Karl Lagerfeld Bois De Vetiver. I saw a random review of the Bois De Vetiver and it was enough to add it to my order of Aqua Amara, which is a frag I've had in the cart a few times over the last year or so but had never pulled the trigger on. I've used the Aqua Amara, and love it! There will be a more comprehensive review sometime soon, but this one is right in my wheelhouse. I've only test sprayed the Bois De Vetiver on my wrist, but it shows definite promise.

Yard work time. Have a fantastic evening!

Great mail calls! Looking forward to hearing about the shave that comes out of it all!

Eric, don't worry about posting in the journal. You will get to us when you get to us. Your health and rest is way more important. Good stuff in the PIF and those are some pretty good scents!

Great frag call, Eric, and glad you like the stuff!
Great mail calls! Looking forward to hearing about the shave that comes out of it all!
Great mail call!
Eric, don't worry about posting in the journal. You will get to us when you get to us. Your health and rest is way more important. Good stuff in the PIF and those are some pretty good scents!
Great Stuff and mail calls Eric
Great mail calls.

Thanks guys! I have another Mail Call coming up in a couple days. Something that has been out of stock for about the last 5 months, and I couldn't find it anywhere. I popped onto one of the sites I buy from the other day, and almost jumped for joy when I saw that it was finally available. Pulling the trigger was a no-brainer after the long wait.

....I have another Mail Call coming up in a couple days. Something that has been out of stock for about the last 5 months, and I couldn't find it anywhere. I popped onto one of the sites I buy from the other day, and almost jumped for joy when I saw that it was finally available. Pulling the trigger was a no-brainer after the long wait.

You have my attention, Sir!

BTW, nice sounding new frag additions - I haven't heard of either, but I'm intrigued.

You have my attention, Sir!

BTW, nice sounding new frag additions - I haven't heard of either, but I'm intrigued.
They are both good editions to the frag cabinet, though I'm more partial to the Aqua Amara right now.

5 months?!

5 months. I've checked every week for the last 5 months to see if this stuff has been in stock in the size I'm looking for, and it just now became available. It might be that it was all bought up immediately as it came back in stock up until now, but I'm not sure. No, it's not a shaving soap, cream, aftershave, frag, or brush. It is wood. Coolibah to be specific. I've seen some amazing grain and color on pics of this stuff, and have been itching to get some for quite a while. It came in a couple hours ago, and I just opened it.

They are both good editions to the frag cabinet, though I'm more partial to the Aqua Amara right now.
5 months. I've checked every week for the last 5 months to see if this stuff has been in stock in the size I'm looking for, and it just now became available. It might be that it was all bought up immediately as it came back in stock up until now, but I'm not sure. No, it's not a shaving soap, cream, aftershave, frag, or brush. It is wood. Coolibah to be specific. I've seen some amazing grain and color on pics of this stuff, and have been itching to get some for quite a while. It came in a couple hours ago, and I just opened it.

Ooh, that stuff is beautiful! Whatcha going to do with it??

Ooh, that stuff is beautiful! Whatcha going to do with it?
1f601.png

Lol no real plans yet. I just got it to have it in case the supply dries up again. I've got a couple brush ideas floating around, but haven't seriously tried to design anything new in a while. I have a whole box full of pine throw-away blanks to play around with, but haven't really felt inspired to try anything different.

Back