The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

There and Back Again, A Wet-Shaver's Tale

I am sorry to hear about your friend. Like the other Don said, if you need anything and are comfortable doing so, please ask.

Also, I forget, did you end up getting your motor rebuilt or did you purchase a replacement? If you bought a replacement, I would look into tool repair to see if they can rebuild the original. Most of the time they can.

Eric on the lathe motor, Was this a new motor? Kinda early for a motor to fail, but it can happen. I assume the it is a belt drive to the headstock spindle, correct?

Always check the basics 1st. Inspect the plug and receptacle where it is plugged in. Check the cord to make sure nothing has happened to it. Before removing the receptacle be sure to turn the power off to it at your breaker panel. Verify that it is off. A loose wire in the plug or receptacle can cause problems. If you have a volt meter confirm that the correct voltage is present, which should be about 110-120 Volts AC on a standard receptacle, or 220/240 if a 220 plug.

Is the motor making a noise, vibrating, getting hot, loosing power, stopping? What are the symptoms?

If the spindle is belt driven is the motor rated for a side load on the shaft? Some motors are designed for side loading some are not.

How is the speed controlled? By changing the belt to different steps of the pulley, variable pitch pulley, or electrically?
If it is electrically controlled the controller could be bad, also some motors do not respond well to having their speed controlled electrically.

So sorry about your friend. That's a big hit no doubt. Sounds like friends and woodworking are good therapy.

Late On the scene as usual, my sincerest condolences on the loss of your friend. We are fortunate to have this cadre/nucleus of friends for support on all things. Any needs are yours for the asking.

I am sorry to hear about your friend. Like the other Don said, if you need anything and are comfortable doing so, please ask.

Also, I forget, did you end up getting your motor rebuilt or did you purchase a replacement? If you bought a replacement, I would look into tool repair to see if they can rebuild the original. Most of the time they can.
Eric on the lathe motor, Was this a new motor? Kinda early for a motor to fail, but it can happen. I assume the it is a belt drive to the headstock spindle, correct?

Always check the basics 1st. Inspect the plug and receptacle where it is plugged in. Check the cord to make sure nothing has happened to it. Before removing the receptacle be sure to turn the power off to it at your breaker panel. Verify that it is off. A loose wire in the plug or receptacle can cause problems. If you have a volt meter confirm that the correct voltage is present, which should be about 110-120 Volts AC on a standard receptacle, or 220/240 if a 220 plug.

Is the motor making a noise, vibrating, getting hot, loosing power, stopping? What are the symptoms?

If the spindle is belt driven is the motor rated for a side load on the shaft? Some motors are designed for side loading some are not.

How is the speed controlled? By changing the belt to different steps of the pulley, variable pitch pulley, or electrically?
If it is electrically controlled the controller could be bad, also some motors do not respond well to having their speed controlled electrically.
So sorry about your friend. That's a big hit no doubt. Sounds like friends and woodworking are good therapy.
Late On the scene as usual, my sincerest condolences on the loss of your friend. We are fortunate to have this cadre/nucleus of friends for support on all things. Any needs are yours for the asking.

Many thanks, guys. Still healing from the loss of a friend and the circumstances surrounding it, but there are several of us in that group and we're working through it together. The motor is fine, it was the set pin on the pulleys attached to the motor shaft that needed to be replaced, so the shaft was spinning but the pulley was dragging. It was a $1 fix, so all is well there.

Still alive and kicking. A couple guys at work are on vacation, so the last few days have been full speed all day long lol. I've been able to get some work done in The Dungeon, though not as much as I'd like. As soon as I have some time I'll try to do some catching up in the other journals. Have a great day all!

Thanks for the update. I am glad that you and your friends are healing. Keep us in the loop.

Glad to see you check in Eric. Been thinking about you. Hope all is well.

Thanks for the update. I am glad that you and your friends are healing. Keep us in the loop.
Glad to see you check in Eric. Been thinking about you. Hope all is well.

Thanks guys. All is well. Just been burning the candle at both ends. I'm taking a vacation next month, after I'm all caught up on business in The Dungeon, and it can't come soon enough lol. There will be a couple days hanging out with family in northern Michigan, and plenty of fishing. Mail Call yesterday:

I used the Iced Pineapple this morning, and it was everything Chris H said it was. Outstanding scent and a nice menthol kick combined with Stirlings..umm..sterling performance made for a Summer favorite. Not really a Mail Call today, but my friend came back from Arizona with gifts in hand. He seriously hooked me up, with plenty of direction given by Dave I'm sure lol.

The Chamber Companies shave soap and matching balm in Black, Dublin Tweed, and Cedar Rose. He also had a tub of The Chamber Companies charcoal face mask, but I forgot to grab a pic of it. Dublin Tweed is on deck for tomorrow, and a review will be posted. Loving the scent of all three, and the scent strength out of the tin is at least 4/5 in all three. I'm hoping to be more present in the forums soon, but realistically it will probably be a while before I can be around much. I hope everyone is doing well.

Great stuff Eric. You need a vacation for sure! Also welcome to the Iced Pineapple club!

Good update Eric, hopefully things slow down for you soon. Those are some great acquisitions!!

Looking forward to hearing about the soaps. I hear they might be on sale soon ?

Super great mail-calls Eric! Sounds like a week or two just fishin' will do you a lot of good. Pulling for ya buddy!

Catching up Eric!

Glad to hear the lathe was an easy fix!
Great mail and good score from the friend!

Back