The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Williams Mug Soap 3017 Challenge..... A.K.A. (________) Willy!

Dang.. Looks like you're beating that one to death !! I have a lot of catching up to do.. Mine looks like I'm just starting to use it.....
I’m probably going overboard with the loading, but it seems to be getting me a better lather. When I was doing my usual 30 second load it just wasn’t working.

The Willy keeps on lathering. I can understand why people get all upset with it, but with a little time and skill it is a fine soap. I most enjoy that something like this has lasted for so long as a common enough staple in local shops.

20210216_051953.jpg

Been trying to load a bit heavier, in part to get this thing done on schedule, which I don't think will happen, and in part just to get some more cushion out of the soap. Did pretty well today, and had a nice shave, which was welcome after a weird morning here.

Today was officially the best lather yet on the Williams. I switched to a 22mm badger and also added CBL Pre-Shave Oil into the mix. I'm pretty sure the brush made all the difference, as it is a very dense knot. Who knows, but the stars certainly aligned creating some classic stiff peaks and lofty lather.

20210217_052512.jpg

15 shaves on this puck now - hole continues to grow!

65173734b093d54dca80fe5b3430a9de.jpg

Tuesday
Razor:
RR GC .84p
Blade: Wilkinson Sword (11)
Brush: Stirling Boar
Soap: Bootlegger Willie (10)
AS: Clubman Whiskey Woods

Wednesday
Razor:
RR GC .84p
Blade: Wilkinson Sword (12)
Soap: Bootlegger Willie (11)
AS: Clubman Whiskey Woods - LNHC Barbershop Balm
The Bootlegger Willie may not last another shave. It’ll definitely be done by the end of the week. Just when the lather was getting good too...
View attachment 47636

My soap came loose today when I was pouring out my bloom water, I had just broken through to the bottom of my mug. When I tried to press it back down, it exploded into a bunch of little pieces... still lathered great, but had little bits of soap in my lather.
The end is near!
9C734E0D-8702-4D34-A157-ADE52B190BB4.jpeg

I am getting low in the bowl with the Williams, but haven't quite broken through yet. Switching up to the 26mm tuxedo also produced better lather than the boar has so far. Very nice. I also experimented with no-oil and then on pass two added the CBL Preshave Oil. The lather was a touch thicker, but might have only been due to me not adding back the same amount of water as pass one, due to dry down. Still a great shave.

20210218_053418.jpg

My soap came loose today when I was pouring out my bloom water, I had just broken through to the bottom of my mug. When I tried to press it back down, it exploded into a bunch of little pieces... still lathered great, but had little bits of soap in my lather.
The end is near!
View attachment 47638
The same thing happened to me. I was hoping I could re-center the soap in the middle of the tub and just smash it back into one piece. Instead it just kept breaking into smaller pieces. I added water and that helped a little bit, we’ll see how many chunks of soap I get In my lather tonight.

The same thing happened to me. I was hoping I could re-center the soap in the middle of the tub and just smash it back into one piece. Instead it just kept breaking into smaller pieces. I added water and that helped a little bit, we’ll see how many chunks of soap I get In my lather tonight.
Yep, I'm betting it will start disintegrating soon. I don't see it lasting too long. This is day 17, I think it may last another 3-4 days if that. ESPECIALLY with it breaking apart and loosing chunks.

Razor: RR GC .84p
Blade: Wilkinson Sword (13)
Soap: Bootlegger Willie (12)
AS: Clubman Whiskey Woods

The Bootlegger Willie is officially dead. There were a few chicklet sized pieces left, but when I tried to smash them together they just broke into smaller pieces. They’ve been sent to the Clown Puke tub since trying to chase chicklets around the tub got me a less than stellar lather today. I had to cut the shave short after 2 passes, however it still ended up being a pretty nice DFS. I think the blade and razor combo, along with the slickness of the Willie helped that.

View attachment 47697

Back