The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Williams Mug Soap 3017 Challenge..... A.K.A. (________) Willy!

So, I read through this entire thread and was amazed at the number of people that had never tried Williams before. Except for two pucks of Mitchell's Wool Fat and an occasional sample pulled from the Mystery Pass around box, I've used Williams every day since I was 15 (37years!!!). I know that its not as user friendly as other soaps and it has its good and bad properties but the soap has been around forever and it still works. That has to stand for something.

As far as the best technique, I soak the puck while showering (@15-20 minutes) pour off the excess. Squeeze out and shake out my boar brush, load for 30-40 seconds and move to my hammered turkish bowl where my brush was soaking during the shower. Swirl vigorously and occasionally pump the brush on the bottom to add air. I never need to add additional water to the bowl or the brush. I know that some people in this thread had issues and I know it can seem frustrating when you're used to easy lather every morning but this is the only way I've ever known and it works, instinctively, every morning. And its how my father, and grandfather and great grandfather got it to work. Williams is where the mass market shavers learned to shave at home, quickly and easily. Its one of our founding fathers, right along side King Gillette and Barbasol. Please consider adding Williams to your rotation. Its our past. We should help to keep it alive.

I'm kind of bummed I didn't see this thread until now. I would have liked to have participated. I may mix up a version and try it for my own education.

This challenge is now over. 33 shaves on this puck of Williams has finished it off. There was not a enough left for a shave by itself so I supplimented it with some C.O. Bigelow cream.

I've learned a few things through this challenge:

1. Williams can be "picky" but persistence will get you to dial it in
  2. Slickness can overcome mostly anything in a soap
  3. I enjoy variety.
I will return to this soap another time, but for now I am happy to get back to my other pucks and tubs. Final SOTD with this soap here.

20210307_104033.jpg

Shave 23 on my Silly Willy this morning and we have not achieved donut status... and i really want an actual donut now...
d0f39c3f1299048529734cf44b3ca5f8

Wow, I haven't had a Krispy Kreme in a long time. All the stand-alone stores around here closed years ago. There was nothing better than walking in, being handed a free fresh donut and seeing them all roll hot off the line.

They look like fast food joints now, when a fresh batch is ready the "hot light" comes on. There's a drive through window!

krispy-kreme-sign.jpeg

Kristy Kreme is garbage!

There, I said it! Most mom n pop pink box stores (usually POC run) are worlds better!
I agree on every donut except the glazed. NO ONE can touch them on those. That being said, glazed is like 5th on my list of preferred donut flavors so the mom n pop get my business far more often.

Kristy Kreme is garbage!

There, I said it! Most mom n pop pink box stores (usually POC run) are worlds better!

This is the way.

You are banned for life.

I agree on every donut except the glazed. NO ONE can touch them on those. That being said, glazed is like 5th on my list of preferred donut flavors so the mom n pop get my business far more often.
I don't get doughnuts very often. Our Local Krispy Kreme's are owned by our former State Senator who just lost this years election to one of our friends ( our automotive body mans ) son.. Our choices are fairly limited I mean we have some artisan makers and also Dunkin Doughnuts ..

Back