The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Williams Mug Soap 3017 Challenge..... A.K.A. (________) Willy!

I tried lathering the English Willy directly in the container, which I’m normally not a fan of. But it seems to be giving me a much better lather than scooping some out and putting it in a bowl. We adapt and overcome, otherwise it wouldn’t be a challenge now would it?

a04cefc8ff0fb108c8d58348f1e65a93.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THE VEG! I didn't need another bottle, but I snagged one anyway
Good Man! I actually saw your pic, but hadn't scrolled down enough to see the store tags, and I thought that was a pic of your back stock under your sink. I was about to be super impressed! I probably do have that much Veg in my den!

I have never tried the veg but will probably / maybe some day...
It's a right of passage.... everyone needs to experience The Veg at some point.

We're a week into the 3017 and I'm currently averaging just shy of 4g/shave. That's a lot of soap per shave, but with how soft my Chilly Green turned out I am not surprised. Probably some residual evaporation too over the last week. Daily shaves would result in me using the rest up by the 24th, but I anticipate both taking some days off here and there as well as slowly using less soap per shave as it gets lower in the tub.

20-30 days is pretty typical use for Williams. Especially, as you said, when it is in a softened state. An unadultered puck, could go up to 60 days though.

So today was shave #7 with the 2 in 1 Willy. I am liking the scent and slickness. This is actually the first time I have ever used any Williams soap so I can't compare the performance to the plain modern or vintage pucks, but I now have both modern and vintage pucks in my inventory and will be trying them out after the challenge. Overall it is going well, like many people I have seen minor issues with diminished/disappearing lather, but I have adapted slightly and it has not been a big deal. In the past (long ago and far away) I shaved with bar soap and a cart for years. I am still not really too fussy about my lather and I have the good fortune to have soft water so I have never had some of the issues that others have due to their water quality.

I've been using a vintage puck since Dec. 16 and I don't think I'm half way through yet.

Had a little facial irritation going on today, so took a day off from shaving. This time of year, I Just need to remember to use some moisturiser post shave. I don't think it's anything with the soap itself, just general winter dryness.

20-30 days is pretty typical use for Williams. Especially, as you said, when it is in a softened state. An unadultered puck, could go up to 60 days though.

I've been using a vintage puck since Dec. 16 and I don't think I'm half way through yet.
Well, we'll see how long this vintage puck lasts me. I am only 7 shaves into it, but I am blooming and loading hard (the last 3 have been with boar brushes). The performance, though, is quite good. I think CBL Tonsorial/Master Barber is better. There are also some modern artisan formulas that are slightly better. That being said, I really can't complain about vintage Williams. It shaves well and leaves my skin feeling nice. Even if this puck lasts me into (or past) March, I am going to enjoy every last shave of it.

Also, the sound of my brush handle hitting the sides of the vintage milk glass shave mug is kinda nice in the morning.

Razor: RR GC .84p
Blade: Wilkinson Sword (7)
Brush: Stirling Boar
Soap: Bootlegger Willie (6)
AS: Clubman Whiskey Woods

Still trucking on with Bootlegger Willie. It’s getting better by blooming the puck and using the boar, but it ain’t great.

Back