The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The Williams Mug Soap 3017 Challenge..... A.K.A. (________) Willy!

Well, we'll see how long this vintage puck lasts me. I am only 7 shaves into it, but I am blooming and loading hard (the last 3 have been with boar brushes). The performance, though, is quite good. I think CBL Tonsorial/Master Barber is better. There are also some modern artisan formulas that are slightly better. That being said, I really can't complain about vintage Williams. It shaves well and leaves my skin feeling nice. Even if this puck lasts me into (or past) March, I am going to enjoy every last shave of it.

Also, the sound of my brush handle hitting the sides of the vintage milk glass shave mug is kinda nice in the morning.
CBL Tonsorial is why I wanted to try Williams. CBL is better IME, the post shave face feel with that is up there with my gold standard T+S, whereas Williams is just neutral for me there. The actual shaves are pretty similar though.

CBL Tonsorial is why I wanted to try Williams. CBL is better IME, the post shave face feel with that is up there with my gold standard T+S, whereas Williams is just neutral for me there. The actual shaves are pretty similar though.
I'm sure most are aware, but if not.... CBL Tonsorial was Chris' project to re-create Vintage Williams. It's actually how he started making soap in the first place. Then once he made a decent Williams clone, he moved on to make an even better soap, his premium line. Then after the success of that, he revisited the Williams clone, and improved upon his original formula and tonsorial was born. And yes, I agree, it's better than Vintage Williams.

"♫ Ooops I lathered again...♫ "
🤦‍♂️

While I did not quite break through like Ryan did, I can see light through the center of my puck. Definitely will be through this by then end of the month.

I'm loading my vintage puck for 30 seconds at a time. This is definitely overkill, as I have a ton of lather leftover when I'm done with 3 passes. But I don't mind burning through it fast. I only mention it to say that if I was conservative, this puck would last much longer, like Toby is experiencing.

Now that I'm using a bit of moisturizer, shaves have been great this week.

Turned to the Gibbs adjustable, continuing with warm bowl lathering and no issues. Today I accidentally added more water than intended, and still got the lather just fine with a little extra whipping action.

While I did not quite break through like Ryan did, I can see light through the center of my puck. Definitely will be through this by then end of the month.

I'm loading my vintage puck for 30 seconds at a time. This is definitely overkill, as I have a ton of lather leftover when I'm done with 3 passes. But I don't mind burning through it fast. I only mention it to say that if I was conservative, this puck would last much longer, like Toby is experiencing.

Same here - I am no doubt loading like I hate it and have excess lather left over, but don't mind burning through it. Williams is cheap and I don't have time for subpar lathers! :ROFLMAO:

Razor: RR GC .84p
Blade: Wilkinson Sword (8)
Brush: Stirling Boar
Soap: Bootlegger Willie (7)
AS: Skin Bracer

Finally starting to get a decent lather from this soap. Not the best, but much better than it has been. I’m not sure what I did different today, whatever it was it wasn’t intentional. I’ve also noticed the slightest hole forming in the center of the soap. Probably from me loading for excessive amounts of time!

Blade: Wilkinson Sword (9)
Soap: Bootlegger Willie (8)
AS: Clubman Whiskey Woods

2 good lathers in a row with this stuff? That has to mean something bad is about to happen! I think a contributing factor to the improvement is a lack of aftershave remaining in the soap. There's almost no lingering scent of the Whiskey Woods at this point. Could be that or it could just be me. Who knows. Either way the soap doesn't suck quite as much anymore, so that's a good thing.

Bloom, lather, shave. Yep soap is still working and still has a good aroma of Wild Country. Might a "willy" go in the standard rotation? I don't think so. Will I do it again? Yep sure will.

20210215_061039.jpg

Bloom, lather, shave. Yep soap is still working and still has a good aroma of Wild Country. Might a "willy" go in the standard rotation? I don't think so. Will I do it again? Yep sure will.

View attachment 47455
Personally, I’m really liking my shaves from it and I think I will go ahead and add it to my rotation. I will just need to remember to wet it from time to time if it’s been a while, so it’s rehydrated enough to get the job done.
@Spider are you using it in your weekly rotation or is it more of a monthly soap for you?

I’m really liking my shaves from it and I think I will go ahead and add it to my rotation.
I am also really liking my shaves, and the only real reason to not have this in the rotation currently is due to currenly in use options, which are plentiful. I can easily see a puck of Williams having a permanent spot in a mug, once there is room.

Another great shave! Man, 14 down already? Time is flying. The hole in the bottom of my container is about the size of a quarter, so I might have a week left. Finished up my shave with some Thayers Cucumber and Nivea Sensitive, and my face is feeling great!
@Spider are you using it in your weekly rotation or is it more of a monthly soap for you?
What’s a rotation? You know how many soaps I have right? Outside of the challenge, I probably use it once or twice a year.

Have about a half dollar sized hole in my puck now, usage holding steady at just about 4g per shave. Assuming this continues I have a little over a week left. Continue to have great shaves!

Blade: Wilkinson Sword (10)
Soap: Bootlegger Willie (9)
AS: Clubman Whiskey Woods

The Bootlegger Willie is on its last leg. I guess beating it down for 2 minutes at a time with boar brush is paying off. 😂😂😂

View attachment 47504
Dang.. Looks like you're beating that one to death !! I have a lot of catching up to do.. Mine looks like I'm just starting to use it.....

Dang.. Looks like you're beating that one to death !! I have a lot of catching up to do.. Mine looks like I'm just starting to use it.....
Mine has a pretty noticeable dimple in the middle, I may break through tomorrow! Use it like you hate it!

Back