The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The TSC Coffee Shop

Overheard at the @Cvargo household.
“Hey there neighbor! Whatcha got on the grill tonight?”
“A kilo of top grade, single origin Colombian!”
“Ummmmm” slowly backs away “well....nice talking again....”

I got my shipment of Blue Mountain beans Friday so I decided to roast up a batch for y’all. I did a batch Friday night so this is my second with this bean. I will say these beans roast up nice (they are on the larger side compared to others I have) and make a nice cup o joe. I look forward to playing with these a little more, I have a feeling they will be lots of fun.
*yes, I roasted To a somewhat dark roast. Even at the darker roast I get very little bitterness as you might expect from a darker roast.

HUH??? WHAAAAAT!?!! Chris tricked me into listening to a vacuum cleaner for 8 min.

Actually thanks for posting that. I’ve been wondering how you could tell when you hit 1st and 2nd crack when you use a loud machine. 1st crack was plenty loud. I couldn’t hear what you were saying and I thought I hear a 2nd crack 2min(ish) before the end and then more shortly before the end. In person is the 2nd crack obvious? Or are you more going by colour?

I wasn’t talking very loud at all, my goal was to make the sound of the beans the most obvious part. The second crack is audible in person but is definitely less obvious. Not only is second crack less obvious it is more rapid, like a crackle or sizzle. You can pretty much set the thing on medium with high fan and let it run a full 10 min and end up with a pretty consistent med-dark roast, I am still playing with it to see how each change impacts the roast. I think the best results come from a fairly rapid first crack (3-4min) followed by a longer period between first and second crack. The differences are t so obvious you would say one was good and the other bad, just a little nuance here and there. @NurseDave i’ll send some beans along with the soaps when I get them completed. @uacowboy has done vids showing how he roasts over a flame, maybe a pan and bbq like @HandleBarberDave does will work for you.

Got it. I was thinking I’d be much more likely to use a machine than set-up a burner and have to put it away. But I saw that thing was a bit more than I was thinking it would be. I bet if I made some de-liciois coffee every weekend the wife wouldn’t mind too much.

Are you waiting before you brew your freshly roasted beans? I've heard that the beans need to be degassed for anywhere from two to ten days depending upon how dark you roast them. The degassing is to allow the CO2 to escape. Apparently 40% of the CO2 leaves the beans during the first two days after roasting. I've not done this so I can't tell you what happens if you don't degass.

Are you waiting before you brew your freshly roasted beans? I've heard that the beans need to be degassed for anywhere from two to ten days depending upon how dark you roast them. The degassing is to allow the CO2 to escape. Apparently 40% of the CO2 leaves the beans during the first two days after roasting. I've not done this so I can't tell you what happens if you don't degass.
So you’re saying coffee beans fart? :ROFLMAO:

So you’re saying coffee beans fart? :ROFLMAO:

Apparently that is the case.

Image result for coffee beans fart

I have made coffee from beans roasted less than 12 hrs later. I believe it mostly depends on your brewing method. I believe what I heard is drip and espresso are the big ones. Drip can foam up and make a huge mess if you put a lot of ground in. Espresso can I believe have overpressure issues or something. I do pour over and aeropress and have had zero issues without resting the beans.

I have made coffee from beans roasted less than 12 hrs later. I believe it mostly depends on your brewing method. I believe what I heard is drip and espresso are the big ones. Drip can foam up and make a huge mess if you put a lot of ground in. Espresso can I believe have overpressure issues or something. I do pour over and aeropress and have had zero issues without resting the beans.

What I read is that it's not so much foaming up or pressure issues. It has to do with flavor and taste. The rapid escape of CO2 is supposed to negatively impact the flavor of the coffee being brewed. Again, this is what I've read and I cannot say that I've put this to the test.

I do let them rest before using them. I have read that in addition to degassing the beans will develop more flavor as they rest, peak flavor being achieved in the 3-7 days after roasting.to be honest I don’t notice a flavor improvement when I wait several days nor do I deduct much loss of flavor after 7-10 days...all being stored air tight. I think the most notable reason to rest the beans is that using them too soon results in foamy brewing which no doubt changes flavor in addition to the obvious mess it can create. Put the fresh beans in a bag and remove all air, the bag will fill with co2 in an hour or two (to the point it looks ready to burst). I store beans in little plastic bags or in bags with one way valves . My deciding factor is whether I can smell the lovely aroma of the fresh roasted beans or not. The soonest I use the beans is about 8 hours after roast. I try to roast every few days so I always have some beans that are 3-5 days post roast.

Got it. I was thinking I’d be much more likely to use a machine than set-up a burner and have to put it away. But I saw that thing was a bit more than I was thinking it would be. I bet if I made some de-liciois coffee every weekend the wife wouldn’t mind too much.
You really can have excellent coffee at a lower cost if you do the roasting yourself...you can also go WAY overboard and spend more than you do now. I would say that if you currently buy fresh roasted coffee from a local roaster you can do it cheaper yourself and may enjoy your own creations as much or more than what you buy. If you buy ground coffee (or beans) from the store it will hard to beat the price you are paying but the quality/taste will be big time better when you do it yourself. I’m buying most of my beans at or under $6 a pound (which ends up being about 12 ounces finished coffee). I now have a storage cabinet filled with 5 or 10 pound tubs of 12 different types of beans ...I’m clearly saving money:D:D:LOL:3

If I’m buying from the store I am more likely to brew a 12 cup pot and consume it before lunch (with flavored creamer of course), now that I’m roasting fresh I am content with a cup or two of the good stuff, black or with what ever flavor I want.

You will definitely want a good stove hood or to roast outside. I roast in the garage but have done it on the stove too ...the fire alarms stop after I open the doors and let it air out a bit. The smell is fantastic, not what you expect but a great part of the experience. I like my fresh roast sr500 but if the sr300 is more in line with your budget I say get it, the only difference is variable temp control and I think it’s very possible to achieve consistency and quality without it.

I have been eyeballing one that looks like a crock pot with stirrer inside.
There are several “nut roasters” that say they can roast coffee. I tried the little popcorn popper that looks like a hot plate with a stir rod and it never got hot enough to finish the job. There some pretty cool table top roasters but they are too expensive for me to consider. The biggest problem with the fresh roast thing is the glass roasting Chamber.

I have been eyeballing one that looks like a crock pot with stirrer inside.
That's interesting. Without looking for it my thoughts are that's how I've seen them roasting at Starbucks, not that I'd base anything off their burnt coffee but it's obviously another professional way to go. But you would have to have enough bulk to be stirring the beans instead of sliding them around.

Back