The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The TSC Coffee Shop

BarberDave

I pre-date cheese sauce
Owner
Veteran
Legacy
First Responder
this is the new Thread for everything Coffee Related, I used to drink one cup a day, then I found Starbucks, maybe once a week, then I found Juniper Lattes, and the AD began as I did not want to spend $7.00 twice a day so I bought my own and now drinking almost as much as Sharon.......... Well not really as she does about 4 pots a day and now that I can make my espressos, lattes and so forth we are a coffee family.

So... post your recipes Videos of you enjoying a coffee, a biscotti and lets talk COFFEE

Used my Cuisinart Burr Grinder for the first time yesterday with a fresh bag of Single Estate Beans I picked up from a local roaster...Brazil Juliano Vilas Boas from the Conceicao Das Pedras region. Used a coarse grind for the french press and man was it some good stuff. A little fruitier than I was expecting...but good stuff none-the-less!

All I have to say is...where has a bur grinder been all my life?

My real coffee affliction began when I found an old Bodum Bistro french press that someone gave us for a wedding present and that sat unused for years. I pulled it out, and then went hunting for a grinder. Ended up with a Baratza Virtuoso because it seemed to excel at the larger grinds required for french press. And I then started looking for a milk frother, preferably manual. Ended up with this chrome one. I then began weighing my beans and water to ensure proper control over the coffee/water ratios. And then I found a couple videos on YouTube that showed how to make french press coffee. Armed with all of these accoutrements and knowledge my coffee suddenly took on an amazing level of quality. And what I learned in the videos took all the bitterness out of my coffee. Who would have known that you don't need to plunge the press in the french press. I learned that the act of plunging was causing my coffee to become a little bitter. Now I just use the press to filter the grinds. I want to move up to express but for the machine I want it's going to run me about $2,000 all in for the machine and a new grinder. And I just can't justify that kind of expenditure right now. So for now I'm very happy to make Cafe au Laits with some locally acquired beans that are roasted in upstate New York near Woodstock and sold at their NJ store near me. I know I'm getting beans that were only roasted a week ago. And now I am having trouble getting coffee made elsewhere because nothing seems to be up to my new standards for quality coffee.

Baratza Virtuoso Coffee Grinder
Bellemain Stainless Steel Hand Pump Milk Frother 14 Oz. Capacity
Etekcity EK6212 Kitchen Food Digital Scale Cooking Multifunction Weight Scale
Image result for bodum bistro french press coffee maker

So, do tell..... what is the secret of making French Press coffee?

I also have a bodum press and a Baratza grinder.

First, the beans need to be fairly fresh. Second, the grind needs to be reasonably course but not too course. I think what I learned in the video made the most difference for me. I use a ratio of 1:15 coffee:water. So if I'm using 300g of water, I'm using 20g of coffee. I pour the water into the carafe with the grinds, I swirl it once or twice to get the grinds properly mixed with the water and then cover it and let it sit for 4 minutes. When the buzzer goes off, I then carefully scoop off the surface any grinds that have not sunk to the bottom. I try and get most of the foam as well as the foam is bitter. I then cover again and let it sit for 5 minutes. I then don't plunge the press but just leave it sitting just above the level of the liquid. I'll put some of the liquid milk sitting in the bottom of the milk frother, about a quarter of the mug, then pour some coffee into the milk, leaving enough room to scoop a fair amount of milk foam on top of the coffee. Then drink. I think the key was removing the grinds floating on top was key. I never did that. This is the video that really helped me. I don't use boiling water but wait until the water settles down in the kettle before pouring the water into the grinds.

Last edited:
Thanks. Some things to think about. Of course usually I’m in a hurry trying to get out the door for work. Don’t have much time to devote to the coffee craft. Lol

Thanks. Some things to think about. Of course usually I’m in a hurry trying to get out the door for work. Don’t have much time to devote to the coffee craft. Lol

I hear you. So for those times that I am in a rush I use the Keurig that my wife bought years and years ago and I pop a k-cup of Donut Shop Regular Medium Roast in there. It is a nice full bodied very tasty cup of coffee for when I can't do the french press thing. I find Dunkin' Donuts version to be too watery tasting.

Used my Cuisinart Burr Grinder for the first time yesterday with a fresh bag of Single Estate Beans I picked up from a local roaster...Brazil Juliano Vilas Boas from the Conceicao Das Pedras region. Used a coarse grind for the french press and man was it some good stuff. A little fruitier than I was expecting...but good stuff none-the-less!

All I have to say is...where has a bur grinder been all my life?

View attachment 620

I agree, we looked at this one and could not justify the cost yet, but the Capresso is a nice little burr grinder, and i like the auto feature
My real coffee affliction began when I found an old Bodum Bistro french press that someone gave us for a wedding present and that sat unused for years. I pulled it out, and then went hunting for a grinder. Ended up with a Baratza Virtuoso because it seemed to excel at the larger grinds required for french press. And I then started looking for a milk frother, preferably manual. Ended up with this chrome one. I then began weighing my beans and water to ensure proper control over the coffee/water ratios. And then I found a couple videos on YouTube that showed how to make french press coffee. Armed with all of these accoutrements and knowledge my coffee suddenly took on an amazing level of quality. And what I learned in the videos took all the bitterness out of my coffee. Who would have known that you don't need to plunge the press in the french press. I learned that the act of plunging was causing my coffee to become a little bitter. Now I just use the press to filter the grinds. I want to move up to express but for the machine I want it's going to run me about $2,000 all in for the machine and a new grinder. And I just can't justify that kind of expenditure right now. So for now I'm very happy to make Cafe au Laits with some locally acquired beans that are roasted in upstate New York near Woodstock and sold at their NJ store near me. I know I'm getting beans that were only roasted a week ago. And now I am having trouble getting coffee made elsewhere because nothing seems to be up to my new standards for quality coffee.

Baratza Virtuoso Coffee Grinder
Bellemain Stainless Steel Hand Pump Milk Frother 14 Oz. Capacity
Etekcity EK6212 Kitchen Food Digital Scale Cooking Multifunction Weight Scale
View attachment 631View attachment 632
Image result for bodum bistro french press coffee maker

Good Stuff, we do French Press quite often as well I only grind beans when I am ready to use, seem to keep more the the oils fresh, and produces a better crema. The Machine I really wanted to start off with was this one. It had the most favorable reviews. But so far the Delonghi is a little workhorse

First, the beans need to be fairly fresh. Second, the grind needs to be reasonably course but not too course. I think what I learned in the video made the most difference for me. I use a ratio of 1:15 coffee:water. So if I'm using 300g of water, I'm using 20g of coffee. I pour the water into the carafe with the grinds, I swirl it once or twice to get the grinds properly mixed with the water and then cover it and let it sit for 4 minutes. When the buzzer goes off, I then carefully scoop of the surface any grinds that have not sunk to the bottom. I try and get most of the foam as well as the foam is bitter. I then cover again and let it sit for 5 minutes. I then don't plunge the press but just leave it sitting just above the level of the liquid. I'll put some of the liquid milk sitting in the bottom of the milk frother, about a quarter of the mug, then pour some coffee into the milk, leaving enough room to scoop a fair amount of milk foam on top of the coffee. Then drink. I think the key was removing the grinds floating on top was key. I never did that. This is the video that really helped me. I don't use boiling water but wait until the water settles down in the kettle before pouring the water into the grinds.

Yep this is what we do, after much trial and error

I agree, we looked at this one and could not justify the cost yet, but the Capresso is a nice little burr grinder, and i like the auto feature

Good Stuff, we do French Press quite often as well I only grind beans when I am ready to use, seem to keep more the the oils fresh, and produces a better crema. The Machine I really wanted to start off with was this one. It had the most favorable reviews. But so far the Delonghi is a little workhorse

View attachment 636

Yep this is what we do, after much trial and error

It's all about trial and error. The espresso machine I want is this one.

And the grinder I would probably get is this one.

Baratza Vario Coffee Grinder

There are others that may be better but they also tend to be much more expensive. The spot in the kitchen that I have that is devoted to coffee is very small so I need a small machine and the Lelit Mara is about as small a footprint and height as they come for a high quality machine.

I should add that I also will break out my Bialetti Moka Pot every once in a while. I've recently learned that the Italian roast that I've been using is just too much and I end up with really bitter coffee. A friend brought over some grinds he was using for espresso and I used in the Moka Pot and it was so much smoother and less bitter. Just like shaving, coffee is quite finicky and you have to experiment to find what works for you. I'm still exploring the whole coffee thing. But over time the coffee in my cup has gotten better and better.

Bialetti 6-Cup Moka Express

It's all about trial and error. The espresso machine I want is this one.

View attachment 637

And the grinder I would probably get is this one.

Baratza Vario Coffee Grinder

There are others that may be better but they also tend to be much more expensive. The spot in the kitchen that I have that is devoted to coffee is very small so I need a small machine and the Lelit Mara is about as small a footprint and height as they come for a high quality machine.

I should add that I also will break out my Bialetti Moka Pot every once in a while. I've recently learned that the Italian roast that I've been using is just too much and I end up with really bitter coffee. A friend brought over some grinds he was using for espresso and I used in the Moka Pot and it was so much smoother and less bitter. Just like shaving, coffee is quite finicky and you have to experiment to find what works for you. I'm still exploring the whole coffee thing. But over time the coffee in my cup has gotten better and better.

Bialetti 6-Cup Moka Express
Those are nice, and like you our counter space is slowly being eaten up by "Stuff" so the Veto monster is very specific, LOL I need to experiment with the Moka Pot more, we could not get it right and it sits under the counter. My wife got me into this, as I was a 1 cup a day of anything resembling coffee as I was "brought up" on Lackland AFB coffee which was brewed in 1947 and still flows today, I think is was a joke from the Roswell Aliens, LOL. My wife does think she created a monster and there is no "light AD" with me. It is "Go big or Go home" ROFL. So I keep exploring as you do.

Those are nice, and like you our counter space is slowly being eaten up by "Stuff" so the Veto monster is very specific, LOL I need to experiment with the Moka Pot more, we could not get it right and it sits under the counter. My wife got me into this, as I was a 1 cup a day of anything resembling coffee as I was "brought up" on Lackland AFB coffee which was brewed in 1947 and still flows today, I think is was a joke from the Roswell Aliens, LOL. My wife does think she created a monster and there is no "light AD" with me. It is "Go big or Go home" ROFL. So I keep exploring as you do.

I only drink coffee in morning. I used to be a 1 cup a day drinker and now I'm brewing 2 to 3 cups in the morning when I go to the trouble. Otherwise it's one cup of the Keurig. And I hear you on the AD. I can't do anything simply either. I have to research EVERYTHING. Drives my wife crazy.

I also have a Baratza grinder (entry level Encore, but it works great). I prefer the Chemex. Pour over coffee is tough to beat, IMO. Anyone else like this method?

Edit—plus the Chemex looks cool as all get out 😎!

I also have a Baratza grinder (entry level Encore, but it works great). I prefer the Chemex. Pour over coffee is tough to beat, IMO. Anyone else like this method?

Edit—plus the Chemex looks cool as all get out 😎!

I prefer the french press over pour over because with a french press you don't filter out all those amazing oils that add so much to the flavor.

I prefer the french press over pour over because with a french press you don't filter out all those amazing oils that add so much to the flavor.
I concur, and the pour over just looked like more work. I settled on the French Press because it seemed like the easiest, and least time consuming method.

Good points, pour over is a bit more work. You pretty much need a scale and timer to get it right. But it’s really only 4 minutes or so of halfway paying attention, so I can usually swing it in the morning.

What moved me away from the French press is the silt at the bottom of every cup—horrible taste if you accidentally drink too much. Perhaps this could be mitigated if I tried your method @MntnMan62 I’ll have to get the press out and give it a go.

Good points, pour over is a bit more work. You pretty much need a scale and timer to get it right. But it’s really only 4 minutes or so of halfway paying attention, so I can usually swing it in the morning.

What moved me away from the French press is the silt at the bottom of every cup—horrible taste if you accidentally drink too much. Perhaps this could be mitigated if I tried your method @MntnMan62 I’ll have to get the press out and give it a go.

I now have it down so that I don't get any fines in my cup anymore. If you pour gently you get nothing but coffee.

I've traded my French press for a Aeropress. Easy to use and clean up is a breeze. My espresso machine has collected dust since I bought the Aeropress. Not a true espresso but pretty darn close.

Back