The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

The TSC Coffee Shop

Great first roast Dave! It makes a huge difference when its fresh. O-67

Well Chris was kind enough to send me some green and my 1st attempt at Coffee roasting
View attachment 920View attachment 921View attachment 922View attachment 923View attachment 924

Used the Cast Iron Skillet method, a bit uneven, but not bad for 1st time. Did a half cup which yielded 4 Lattes, as well as about 6 cups of regular coffee The Afficionado (Sharon) gave her stamp of approval, and we drank it all this moring, LOL Now I know why folks say there is a HUGE difference in flavor when you roast your own. I will probably try to get a different roaster as this is actually a dutch oven skillet and weighs a ton, but it is a good workout, LOL

Dave! You inspire me! and that is some serious cast iron!

Look who's up already :p Good Morning Kyle

Nope...he was just up late...the sweet prince is sleeping again... 🤪

Just grinded it down and can't wait to taste it in the morning. Smells so good!

If you've never tried it you should grind just before brewing. It surprising how much of a difference it makes

If you've never tried it you should grind just before brewing. It surprising how much of a difference it makes

+1 I always wait until I'm just about to brew my coffee to grind the beans. In everything you do with coffee, fresh is best. Roasted coffee beans stored in a canister that has the CO2 vent can last 3 to 4 weeks. Once you grind the beans, the extra surface area that you create hastens the oxidation process and the longer it sits the less flavor it will produce. Favors mellow after a few hours, fruity flavors fade after a day, and after several days it gets duller with significantly less flavor. Therefore, when I'm making my coffee in a french press, I measure out my beans and put them in the hopper in the grinder while I'm boiling my water. Once I hear that the water is about to boil, I grind the beans and put the grinds in the french press. I'd say they sit for no more than one to two minutes before I pour the water. I may sound like a coffee geek, but are we not shaving geeks as well? No reason to just be a geek for one thing. The same mentality can be applied to a whole host of things. Nothing like starting your day with a wonderfully close shave and a truly fresh cup of coffee.

+1 I always wait until I'm just about to brew my coffee to grind the beans. In everything you do with coffee, fresh is best. Roasted coffee beans stored in a canister that has the CO2 vent can last 3 to 4 weeks. Once you grind the beans, the extra surface area that you create hastens the oxidation process and the longer it sits the less flavor it will produce. Favors mellow after a few hours, fruity flavors fade after a day, and after several days it gets duller with significantly less flavor. Therefore, when I'm making my coffee in a french press, I measure out my beans and put them in the hopper in the grinder while I'm boiling my water. Once I hear that the water is about to boil, I grind the beans and put the grinds in the french press. I'd say they sit for no more than one to two minutes before I pour the water. I may sound like a coffee geek, but are we not shaving geeks as well? No reason to just be a geek for one thing. The same mentality can be applied to a whole host of things. Nothing like starting your day with a wonderfully close shave and a truly fresh cup of coffee.
Exactly!

In order to grind my the beans in the morning would mean waking up an extra 10 minutes earlier. I save that adventure for the weekend.

In other news this is how I feel while drinking the coffee! WOW

Image result for coffee heaven gif

Sweet! Glad to hear your first run was a success. This is something I could defiantly see getting into if I drank my coffee black.

Back